Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Office 365 V2

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Office 365 V2

Office 365 V2

Office 365 (O365) is the drop dead, new major SMB trend of the IT industry. It is totally sweeping North America with 70% of the new installs.

Does your copier brand offer a connector to Scan to Exchange, SharePoint and OneDrive?

What is the cost of the connector?

How many hours of Professional services are required to properly configure the connector into Active Directory?

Are you personally equipped to handle the new install procedure?

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

Re: Office 365 V2

If there is a requirement we usually install eCopy Sharescan elements.
    Aye! Cut the crap

Office 365 V2

With all of the emphasis on copier security, one of the greatest security threats has been ignored for years. These are anonymous emails sent from a multi-functional printer using the "Send From" email address programmed into it.

Emails sent from almost all multi-functional devices are anonymous meaning that you have no way of identifying who sent the email. Confidential information such as customer lists or price lists could be sent to a customer, competitors, etc. and you would have no way of find out who sent it.

By enabling authentication and utilizing Toshiba's new Office 365 app any emails sent from the MFP can only be sent on authorized user email accounts eliminating anonymous emails. Workflow is improved because users no longer need to email scanned documents to themselves and then forward the emails to the intended recipient. Once the user goes back to their desk, the email is already in their personal sent items folder.

Can you tell me if the copier vendor(s) that you represent have this capability?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Office 365 V2

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    With all of the emphasis on copier security, one of the greatest security threats has been ignored for years. These are anonymous emails sent from a multi-functional printer using the "Send From" email address programmed into it.

Emails sent from almost all multi-functional devices are anonymous meaning that you have no way of identifying who sent the email. Confidential information such as customer lists or price lists could be sent to a customer, competitors, etc. and you would have no way of find out who sent it.

By enabling authentication and utilizing Toshiba's new Office 365 app any emails sent from the MFP can only be sent on authorized user email accounts eliminating anonymous emails. Workflow is improved because users no longer need to email scanned documents to themselves and then forward the emails to the intended recipient. Once the user goes back to their desk, the email is already in their personal sent items folder.

Can you tell me if the copier vendor(s) that you represent have this capability?
    Kyo has had authentication for emails for years, nothing new. What most users are not aware of is the Federal requirement that all emails be archived for seven years, including scan to email to yourself! All are large customers restrict or do not allow scan to email for this reason, the archival storage needed is too great.

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar

Office 365 (O365) is the drop dead, new major SMB trend of the IT industry. It is totally sweeping North America with 70% of the new installs.

Does your copier brand offer a connector to Scan to Exchange, SharePoint and OneDrive?

What is the cost of the connector?

How many hours of Professional services are required to properly configure the connector into Active Directory?

Are you personally equipped to handle the new install procedure?
    The customers using Office 365 sure seem to like it better than the standard Office suite. The Office 365 scan setups are a snap. We're getting close to 70% Office 365. We still seem to get a lot of G suite for business.

I work on Sharps now and they come standard with Exchange, Sharepoint, OneDrive, Google drive, and Google cloud print. The free built in connectors are OK, have to login just about every use. The paid solutions are more seamless though, especially the ones with card readers.
    A Sharp with a card reader can integrate with AD about as easy as a PaperCut install. It's rare to see a 1 hour install anymore. 2 or 3 hours is more common with all the extra stuff nowadays.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Office 365 V2

Quote Originally Posted by D_L_P View Post
    We still seem to get a lot of G suite for business.
    I saw a lot of schools using Google Apps (now G suite). It made things interesting for the outlaying schools when printing certain reports as the reported were actually sent to the local printer from the county's server. Most of them found it easier to merely down the report and then print it.

Office 365 V2

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    Kyo has had authentication for emails for years, nothing new. What most users are not aware of is the Federal requirement that all emails be archived for seven years, including scan to email to yourself! All are large customers restrict or do not allow scan to email for this reason, the archival storage needed is too great.

When you say, Kyocera has had "Authentication for email for years", do you mean that when a user approaches the copier and authenticates and then scans to email to someone else, the sent email displays in their "Sent Items" folder as coming from themselves or from the copier?

Good point that I did not think about regarding rapidly expanding archival storage requirements.

Office 365 V2

The customers using Office 365 sure seem to like it better than the standard Office suite. The Office 365 scan setups are a snap. We're getting close to 70% Office 365. We still seem to get a lot of G suite for business.

I work on Sharps now and they come standard with Exchange, Sharepoint, OneDrive, Google drive, and Google cloud print. The free built in connectors are OK, have to login just about every use. The paid solutions are more seamless though, especially the ones with card readers.
    A Sharp with a card reader can integrate with AD about as easy as a PaperCut install. It's rare to see a 1 hour install anymore. 2 or 3 hours is more common with all the extra stuff nowadays.
    When you do an install, do you try and configure the Office 365 connectors on the same day as the copier install or on a different day?

When trying to integrate with AD, is that a tech's responsibility or do you need to coordinate the install with the customer's IT people? I would not want to mess around with a customers AD (I do not have the skill set) plus I would likely not have the passwords.

I just cannot see the average "screw driver/ hardware tech" ever getting up to speed to handle an AD installation. At your workplace, do you have a specialized IT tech for Office 365 installs?

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar

When you do an install, do you try and configure the Office 365 connectors on the same day as the copier install or on a different day?

When trying to integrate with AD, is that a tech's responsibility or do you need to coordinate the install with the customer's IT people? I would not want to mess around with a customers AD (I do not have the skill set) plus I would likely not have the passwords.

I just cannot see the average "screw driver/ hardware tech" ever getting up to speed to handle an AD installation. At your workplace, do you have a specialized IT tech for Office 365 installs?
    The built in connector is as simple as adding "outlook.office365.com". The AIP connector is a PIA. If we can we do it all the same day. Only when all the extra Windows features, SQL, and visual C++ need sorted out do we have to make two trips.
    Where I worked before we had 1 MCSE, me and another tech that specialized in the higher priced options. Now, our IT dept does all the installs as well as managed IT. They help me with setting up servers, voip systems, and firewalls while I offer what I can with the printing issues.

Office 365 V2

The built in connector is as simple as adding "outlook.office365.com". The AIP connector is a PIA. If we can we do it all the same day. Only when all the extra Windows features, SQL, and visual C++ need sorted out do we have to make two trips.
    Where I worked before we had 1 MCSE, me and another tech that specialized in the higher priced options. Now, our IT dept does all the installs as well as managed IT. They help me with setting up servers, voip systems, and firewalls while I offer what I can with the printing issues.
    I appreciate your answers.

I have decided today to go ahead and subscribe to a single user, full blown Office 365 (Exchange/SharePoint/OneDrive) account that will be used for demo purposes.

There will be no confidential info stored there.

It is purely for educational purposes. The account should go live this week.

I am a "gotta see it work, to understand it and sell it" kind of salesperson.

Details TBA.

I will have many more questions, so please stay tuned.