Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Preconfiguring machines to scan before they go to customers? Thoughts?

Here is a copy of a Word document that I have been modifying for years for our techs to use. Of course being a Word document it can be modified to your needs.

Dropbox - Customer DNA 2.docx

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Preconfiguring machines to scan before they go to customers? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    I've pre-config'd scan to email many times to an external email server. Basically just a relay server. If you can setup with gmail that would probably be your best bet as long as the mfp can handle the authentication methodology. For scan to folder, best way IMO, is to have a dedicated PC. I prefer Windows 7, make a folder for each user, setup scan path to each folder and then map each folder on each user's PC. This way you won't need multiple passwords for scan authentication. Preconfiguring machines to scan before they go to customers? Thoughts?Preconfiguring machines to scan before they go to customers? Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    I thought about the Gmail route, the only problem it's the same as office 365 how long till they decide to change security and not every machine would work.

Our customers are pretty dense like I'd say 95% have no idea how emails work. We are installing machines then asking for there companies email information which sometimes gets very frustrating as it's often wrong or impossible to find.

We constantly get calls scanning is not working which we immediately get blamed for. I wish the company I work for was clever when it comes to IT but they ain't ><.

It's a very gray area for my company because we don't wanna p people and lose the customer to someone else even though its not our fault.

Has anyone setup a cloud based server just for this purpose and which provider do they use?

Thanks,
    Mike

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

We constantly get calls scanning is not working which we immediately get blamed for. I wish the company I work for was clever when it comes to IT but they ain't ><.
    We had this experience years ago and decided that if our company has to set up scanning, the only option we offer is scan to FTP to a local server or NAS or even better if the customer agrees, to workstations. The extra work for setting up, even if there are many workstations involved, is it worth to not have to go later to the customer for continues scanning problems.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

It is somewhat acceptable to input generic SMTP Gmail credentials as a clone file into your copier to your customer as a solution for scan to email?

I know this will work and it is convenient for you. I also know that for most SMB business, they are not engaged in how you create a solution. They just want you to make it work, quickly and with little effort on their part.

Your SMB customers are often of low IQ about information security and do not make an effort to understand about the threat that copiers represent to bad actors. I want to state that the vast majority of copier vendors have the best interests of their customers in mind when they install a new device and rarely have bad intent.

I realize your job is to get in and out of the customer install as soon as possible with a working solution. I daily do the same.

You know, I know, that you, that with a pre-configured scan to email solution, you as a holder of the User Name/Password email account you can read, in plain language, the customers every day emails. Yes, you like me, periodically delete all of your customers emails in bulk without ever really pay attention to their content. Bravo for your efforts.

Is it our job to slow down the customer install and request that they request and provide from their Email provider unique, confidential User Name/Password credentials for the copier?

Or is it our job to rapidly get through the current install install and off to the next install?

I know that I am certainly guilty of the fast install solution where confidential customer Gmail emails are deleted in bulk by myself every week.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Gmail scares me because they will upgrade security then bam 100's of calls come in can't scan...

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishleg View Post
    Gmail scares me because they will upgrade security then bam 100's of calls come in can't scan...
    Set up your own scan to email server business and sell email IT. managed services to your customers.

Golden opportunity...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Set up your own scan to email server business and sell email IT. managed services to your customers.

Golden opportunity...
    Bruh... can you give me examples...?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JLSam View Post
    Bruh... can you give me examples...?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    One thing we'll do, since IT services is our primary business, is sell users a basic SMTP relay server. Generally, it's a Linux based server that we either manage and patch, or hand off to the customer to manage. The main selling point is that is will allow almost anything that's email enabled (MFP's, servers, etc.) to be able to scan using their external email domain without worrying about TLS versions and the like that are supported on the device.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    One thing we'll do, since IT services is our primary business, is sell users a basic SMTP relay server. Generally, it's a Linux based server that we either manage and patch, or hand off to the customer to manage. The main selling point is that is will allow almost anything that's email enabled (MFP's, servers, etc.) to be able to scan using their external email domain without worrying about TLS versions and the like that are supported on the device.
    What Linux based relay software do you use??? I wonder if it would run on a Raspberry Pi???Preconfiguring machines to scan before they go to customers? Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

We generally use Stunnel as our relay. It is supported on the Pi since it works on any Linux or Windows system. In our office, we have a virtual Ubuntu server that just runs this that our other servers use for emailing automated reporting emails and our MFP's use it for scanning.

Depending on the customer, we've either gone the Pi route, or gone with a full on server. One of my teammtes is even toying around to see if we can get it working as a container instead of a full on virtual machine. The key is to just make sure that the relay is on a system that's always going to be powered on.