Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: microsoft edge pdf print error

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Re.Cloud Computers.
    They're also known as a TTY Dumb Terminal. Old old network systems where once all dumb PC TTY terminals.

Re. Dumb Terminal Revival.
    In my opinion, maybe a dumb terminal for internet censorship or PC dictatorship similar to some Asian countries.
    The dumb terminal TTY system will probably required a compulsory PC access license like a vehicle license. I believe the PC license would be obtained through education systems. Every keystroke on this global dumb terminal cloud system would obviously be scrutinize at the blink of an eye. The dumb terminal user may incur Internet breaches, which would be appropriately debited from their compulsory escrow(bank) account, and remove points from their PC license.

I guess we should be grateful for the PC Internet freedom and the free speech we enjoy at present, and not grant the devil any new ideas...

Now there is some tin foil hat shit right there.
    Whatever

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Now there is some tin foil hat shit right there.
    ssshhh... I'll have to start putting tin-foil around my finger tips soon, they're going to know what I'm typing....

serious though...
    I actually work with TTY dumb terminals many moons ago. They where big network systems using Unix an VMS servers with 100's of dumb PC's all connect in a local Ethernet daisy-chain, with PL259 plugs and double shielded coax cabling. Really advanced software, Win3.11. Some of the dumb PC's had whopping 256K of memory.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    microsoft edge pdf print error

I'm going to demonstrate how dumb I am now:

For a while our company used these terminals whose only function was to log onto the main server. AFAIK the only thing they could do was pick up an IP address, and communicate with the server. Naturally their functionality was very limited, and they seemed to fail constantly. There were always 6 or 8 of them in rotation with the IT support company getting repaired. I was very happy when they dumped the lot of them and went to cheapo Dell laptops. Sorry I can't seem to remember the proper name for them ... maybe "Thin Client"? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    ssshhh... I'll have to start putting tin-foil around my finger tips soon, they're going to know what I'm typing....

serious though...
    I actually work with TTY dumb terminals many moons ago. They where big networks systems using Unix an VMS servers with 100's of dumb PC's all connect in a local Ethernet daisy-chain with PL259 plugs and double shielded coax cabling. Really advanced software Win3.11, some of the dumb PC's had whopping 256K of memory.
    Lucky to have joined the party with star topology. AS400 is the oldest stuff i ever touched.
    Whatever

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I'm going to demonstrate how dumb I am now:

For a while our company used these terminals whose only function was to log onto the main server. AFAIK the only thing they could do was pick up an IP address, and communicate with the server. Naturally their functionality was very limited, and they seemed to fail constantly. There were always 6 or 8 of them in rotation with the IT support company getting repaired. I was very happy when they dumped the lot of them and went to cheapo Dell laptops. Sorry I can't seem to remember the proper name for them ... maybe "Thin Client"? =^..^=
    True...
    The old dumb terminal VMS and Unix daisy chain network systems would fail from time to time. The dumb terminal systems had a physical on board boot ROM that loaded and configured itself into Ram and then initialized the software from there.
    I believe the dumb PC had its share of problems with network and software race conditions to/from the server. All dumb terminal software was run from the server main frame, and the dumb terminal just interfaced with the keyboard and displayed screen updates for the relevant user input.

Looong time ago though....

Its interesting how modern cloud servers are configuring a user revival in the sense of a dumb terminal revival as it where back then. A dumb terminal system would certainly stop individual hackers dead in their tracks. Provided there was no USB or DVD interface. The advanced hackers with Laser/RF capabilities would be limited to known container nodes as well.

The best method to avert network hacking is for personal or business to run two separate network systems. One system on the internet an another separate system off the internet. Pass a (one way) DVD,USB stick or private NAS along to the private network to allow for system updates every month(s) or so. Format/delete the interface USB drive every time before removing the USB off the private network PC. For paranoid security the private network PC's will have no WIFI ,Bluetooth, USB slots or DVD drives in the majority of those PC's except for the interface PC, which should be in a locked room.
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 05-08-2019 at 11:42 PM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••