Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Did you Serve? What Branch What MOS

Re: Did you Serve? What Branch What MOS

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Phil,
    Thank you for visiting with our veterans in the Fayetteville VA hospital. I wonder if you are familiar with the non-profit Pin-ups for Vets or have encountered any of their members visiting at the same time as you?
    Mission Statement:

Pin-Ups For Vets raises funds to improve Veterans' healthcare, donates funds to VA hospitals for medical equipment and program expansion, improves quality of life for ill Veterans across the United States through personal bedside visits to deliver gifts, promotes volunteerism at Veterans Hospitals, supports homeless Veterans with clothing and calendar gifts delivered to shelters, boosts morale for military wives and female Veterans with makeovers and clothing, and boosts morale for deployed troops through delivery of care packages.

One of their fund raisers is the annual production and sales of 1940s style pin-up calendars which they also distribute, free of charge, to veterans during their hospital visits. All of their models are former military.

pin-ups-for-vets
    Slim, Yes Sir... In fact last year just before Christmas, MY Unit of the III%UP of NC had a fund raiser for the "Pin-Ups" in Spring Lake ( just around the corner from the VA. Some of the Ladies that were featured on the Calendar were there. We raised over 3k and they ran out of 2019 calendars and other merch.

We had a really great day with them, and even some of the guys from the hospital came down and got photos with the Ladies! ( man some were SMOKING HOT!)

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    Slim, Yes Sir... In fact last year just before Christmas, MY Unit of the III%UP of NC had a fund raiser for the "Pin-Ups" in Spring Lake ( just around the corner from the VA. Some of the Ladies that were featured on the Calendar were there. We raised over 3k and they ran out of 2019 calendars and other merch.

We had a really great day with them, and even some of the guys from the hospital came down and got photos with the Ladies! ( man some were SMOKING HOT!)
    One of them was actually the 2019 Mrs USA competitor from her home state. If you have Facebook, you can follow them and their founder Gina Elise.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    One of them was actually the 2019 Mrs USA competitor from her home state. If you have Facebook, you can follow them and their founder Gina Elise.
    I am following

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Well, I served. Not in USA but...oh, some good memories comes to mind.

P.S.
    Hey Phil, I remember about the broken clock, did you?
    O yeah, politics is annoying as hell, but at the end of the day we're all brother techs/vets/people!
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar

Thank you to all that have served our country-I salute all of you!!
    2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

US Navy 1983-1987 Active, 1987-1992 Reserves
    Gunfire control technician FTG
    USS William H. Standley CG32
    Ported out of San Diego Naval Station
    Deployments include Pusan Korea, Panama City Panama, Cartegena Columbia, Panama Canal, Mexico, Argentina, Netherland Antilles Area, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Canada and Bearing Sea ops (brrr).
    I have also been an active member of the American Legion since 1989.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

11B Infantry Army National Guard
    deployed Saudi Arabia, Bosnia/Herzegovina, and Baghdad Iraq.
    after returning home the Army in it's wisdom decided we should be Cav Scouts 19D, ummmm hello we should have been Scouts going into Baghdad. Scouts out front!!
    then within the past few years the army decides the units should be infantry again. go figure.
    thank goodness i have been out for several years now.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Enlisted in Navy at 18 and was discharged before completing basic. I injured my knee in high school, torn cartilage, and way back then they did not have the arthroscopic surgery techniques and then re-injured it in basic training. But I was also given a draft classification of 1Y. Which meant I had a medical disability that "may improve with time" and could be drafted at a later date. So late in the year I was reclassified as now 1-A or draft capable. The worst part was this was also when they enacted the draft lottery. 365 numbered ping pong balls and each day got a number. So your draft lottery number was the same as your birthday for that year. Now you had a number to watch for. If your birthday was the 12th of april and your draft number was 125 then the draft board had to call in all those with numbers 1 thru 124 before you could be called up. Now for the good part I was reclassified after discharge from 1-Y to 1-A after I was called in for a draft physical and pronounced fit and healthy. I still had the torn cartilage the draft board doctors said it had "healed" First year I was eligible for the draft after being discharged my draft number was over 320. So I more than likely not going to be called up. And if you made it through the whole year with out your lottery draft number being called the next year even if your number was one you would not be called up until the local draft board cycled through all 365 numbers to make it back to number one again. However there was one little hiccup to this mess. If you have a draft exemption say student , medical, or any other classification other than 1-A for thirty days in that year you then were put in the first call rotation again next year. Every year in november I was recalled for a draft physical and reclassified back to 1-Y, a medical exemption. And then in January I was called in again and reclassified as 1-A and put back in the first cycle of draftees to be called in. Three times I was re-assigned the 1-A draft classification and three years in a row I was back in the first cycle. Long way to get to it but the first two years after getting booted out of the navy my draft lottery numbers were above 315. And the draft board rarely went above 160. Third and final year of draft eligibility my number was 110 and I was once again a 1-A draft classification. So when they got to 75 I went and tried to enlist in the National Guard. They were not allowed to accept enlistees because there were these two political conventions in town that year 1972. Yes I lived and grew up in Miami. and that year both the Democrats and Republicans had their convention in Miami Beach Convention Center. So the Guard was not allowed to enlist anyone while there were going to be riot control duties an enlistee could not be trained for. So somehow I got lucky and actually was able to be sworn in after the second convention and then scheduled to go to basic training and MOS school. My mos number I do not remember but I went to school for "keypunch and data processing machine repair" I spent another five years in the reserves or National Guard. And actually did work on some of the equipment after that was still in use by the navy.
    Oh yes one other thing since the torn cartilage was actually part of my medical history prior to enlisting the navy discharged me and I did not qualify for disability since the injury was a "pre-existing condition to enlistment"

This is actually one of the pieces of equipment
    friden flexowriter - Bing video

The really fun part of the whole mess was I did get a draft notice to appear for induction physical. Problem was I was already in the National Guard and sent it back with a note I had already enlisted in the Guard. Someone at the draft board obviously did not believe that so they sent another letter two months later telling me I had to appear. Only problem was I was now in Army basic training and the registered letter was returned by my father with the note "does not live here anymore" That sort of got someone ticked off so they did a routine request to send a federal marshal to my address. Again my dad explained I was in the army and had been for four week. They then sent an FBI agent from the office on base to confirm I was indeed in basic training. Let me tell you this you do not want to be known as a "draft dodger" to the drill sergeants at an army basic training school.

Defective Technician 50+ Posts

USN 1971-1973 Torpedo Technician USS LY Spear AS-36 (Sub Tender)

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

USAF 1991-1999 Avionics Sensors Tech
    Eielson AFB , Alaska