Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

windows 10 printing issues?

hi
    i gotta a call from an account that is an hour ride from me on a mpc3501 i sold him 4 yrs ago..
    he says "For some time we have not been able to print directly from Microsoft word or other software titles."

I have the latest FW and will reinstall print drivers.
    anything else to look out for?
    thanks

Senior Tech 250+ Posts tjvincent's Avatar

Re: windows 10 printing issues?

Before you reinstall the print drivers turn off the WSD ports which is in the webpage under network-IPV4, then reinstall print drivers. Probably has WSD ports and or a Ricoh Class Driver installed.

What driver?
    Download driver from ricoh pcl6 Not the universal

Senior Tech 250+ Posts tjvincent's Avatar

I would install the PCL6

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    What driver?
    Download driver from ricoh pcl6 Not the universal
    thanks all

i am going with bare bones info..
    I set up all their PCs 4 yrs back..
    Their IT guy couldnt figure it out..
    I will know when i get there tommrw

turned out to be wsd win 10 with win 10 configured to manage printers.
    I ended up loading the ricoh pcl 6 and postscript driver and gave him the option to try both.
    The only odd thing was the ricoh PS3 driver did not show the gui that updates accessories,ie 3rd and 4th paper trays and sorter..

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Why not use program for remote connection and first see what happened, before going on site or even possible resolve their problems remotely.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

There are many time that we have used GotoAssist to remotely log into a customers computer, with their permission of course, and fix most if not all print issues. Most "IT" people these day do not know anything about troubleshooting print issues anymore. Or they see it as a copier and things their is something special that needs to be done.

Calls like this should always be a charge as a normal maintenance agreement covers the machine only. When it suits printing because of a Windows update that was not a machine problem.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mincopier View Post
    There are many time that we have used GotoAssist to remotely log into a customers computer, with their permission of course, and fix most if not all print issues. Most "IT" people these day do not know anything about troubleshooting print issues anymore. Or they see it as a copier and things their is something special that needs to be done.

Calls like this should always be a charge as a normal maintenance agreement covers the machine only. When it suits printing because of a Windows update that was not a machine problem.
    Fully agree. Normally we use AnyDesk or TeamViewer to cope with such situations. Sometimes client is too far, sometimes it saves time and helps further troubleshooting, if it's 5 minutes job there is no need to show onsite and take customers money. My colleague who is responsible for IT support, installs on purpose and specifically teaches customers how to use these programs and give us remote access.
    Nowadays I believe it's one of most valuable tools in my virtual toolbox. I do about 30% of my daily duties via phone or remotely.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.