Lightbulb True Arcade vs. Console Video games opinions

looking at this Arcade Discussion, when I think of arcade machines i think of pinballs, skeeball, ms. pac man, dig dug, tron, tekken, street fighter...etc. Not to take away from the giant cash cow that video games are now (and dont get me wrong im still a gamer), but i just cant stomach pc, xbox, nintendo, and Playstation sitting in accord with the true great arcades. Perhaps there should be a generalized gamer area or a segregated arcade and console gaming section.....i dont know. i was an arcade player with my father in the 80's, worked as a technician for Namco repairing arcade machines. Still continue on the side and enjoy games even today. So i ask what is your opinion on the continuing blend of arcade and console gaming and if in fact they are one in the same. cheers
    Foxhound

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Re: True Arcade vs. Console Video games opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
    looking at this Arcade Discussion, when I think of arcade machines i think of pinballs, skeeball, ms. pac man, dig dug, tron, tekken, street fighter...etc. Not to take away from the giant cash cow that video games are now (and dont get me wrong im still a gamer), but i just cant stomach pc, xbox, nintendo, and Playstation sitting in accord with the true great arcades. Perhaps there should be a generalized gamer area or a segregated arcade and console gaming section.....i dont know. i was an arcade player with my father in the 80's, worked as a technician for Namco repairing arcade machines. Still continue on the side and enjoy games even today. So i ask what is your opinion on the continuing blend of arcade and console gaming and if in fact they are one in the same. cheers
    Foxhound
    First off, I think this section started out as a place to discuss arcade web games of some sort as it goes back a few years. However in recent years, I think the common mindset here is most of us are PC and or console gamers, so therefor we discuss what we like to play.

I have nothing against discussing arcade games. Myself fondest gaming memories are going down to the arcade and playing many games as a kid. It was the place to go to experience cutting edge games. I even was a regular as recent as 10 years ago.(Oh how Dance Dance Revolution was a thing then - never played it my self though). I enjoyed some of the stuff that came out of Japan, although A few of some of my favorites to play was Area 51 and San Francisco Rush.

Typically bowling alleys and pizza places had Area 51, every chance I got I played IF I saw one.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Actually, there used to be a game arcade section on CTN, and this used to be where people would talk about what they were playing there.
    The CTN arcade stopped not long after I joined, though.

Street fighter man those were the days I love every street fighter game and cross over top 5

Street fighter 2
    Capcom vs snk
    Marvel vs capcom 2
    Street fighter 3rd strike
    Street fighter mugen I know its not a real game but having up to 15000 play abale fighters is over kill and awesome lol

I'm a console guy myself. My favorite console of all time was the original Nintendo. I know that sounds like a 30 somethings default answer. I recently gave my modded (nothing heavy) NES and over 400 carts to a guy that thought games were supposed to be computer generated to the point they look like movies.

i still have 2 magnivox odysseys and an Atari. Nothing like a good ole console with 4 games that are the same with different names. Things were so simple…before I was born.

sincerely,

30 and still gaming

p.s. - for the arcade guys check out the mini cabinet the guy built with a raspberry pi on YouTube. Pure genius.

certified scrub 500+ Posts
    True Arcade vs. Console Video games opinions

sega rally, raiden series and raiden fighter. knights of the round.

those were the good days.
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    True Arcade vs. Console Video games opinions

I still love my original Williams pinball machine..........
    Mystic Crystal Revelations