PDA

View Full Version : BH-423 with FS-527, paper curling

Custom Search

Hansoon
05-11-2016, 04:40 PM
Sheets are coming out of the finisher with a slight curl at the leading and, lesser, at the trailing edge. As long as they are printed on one side they stack more or less OK. However, duplex sided prints are very often touching with the leading edge the stack of previous prints and than the mess starts ( see attached picture).

Since this is exactly the same type of paper the customer uses since many years I suspect somehow wear out of parts in the sorter. Or what do you guys think?

Is there a way to let the lower tray of this finisher stay a little higher to reduce the angle with which the ejected sheets touch the stack of finished prints?

Had not much time to spend on it yet but would love to hear any suggestions from you guys.

Hans

splblazer91
05-11-2016, 05:17 PM
I havent found a "perfect fix" for this yet. My fix is to place a piece of mylar by the rollers on the front side of finisher so that it holds the lead edge of the paper off the tray for a little longer and doesnt allow it to curl under. Good Luck.

allan
05-11-2016, 05:59 PM
Sheets are coming out of the finisher with a slight curl at the leading and, lesser, at the trailing edge. As long as they are printed on one side they stack more or less OK. However, duplex sided prints are very often touching with the leading edge the stack of previous prints and than the mess starts ( see attached picture).

Since this is exactly the same type of paper the customer uses since many years I suspect somehow wear out of parts in the sorter. Or what do you guys think?

Is there a way to let the lower tray of this finisher stay a little higher to reduce the angle with which the ejected sheets touch the stack of finished prints?

Had not much time to spend on it yet but would love to hear any suggestions from you guys.

Hans

Don't think its wear. I had a brand new machine with that problem.
I played with 2 settings. I set fusing priority to production instead of quality and dropped the fuser temp with 15 degs.

A simple test for paper is to take the paper out of the tray and to turn it upside down. If the curl is much less then the paper is the problem.
Just take a fresh ream of paper along, but i do think its the machine.

blackcat4866
05-11-2016, 06:34 PM
I didn't think of fuser temperature at the time. The only way I could stop the spill over was to send all prints and copies to the upper exit tray. =^..^=

habik
05-11-2016, 10:28 PM
I have inclination to paper as well. Try the above suggestions or to print landscape. If it comes out straight, then they have off-cuts paper from the manufacturer. Paper industry is suffering, so savings are made everywhere, then we have nigthmares.

splblazer91
05-11-2016, 10:29 PM
Be careful dropping the fuser temp. Ive dropped them as little as 10 degrees and had to go back because it wasnt fusing properly

srvctec
05-13-2016, 04:27 AM
Be careful dropping the fuser temp. Ive dropped them as little as 10 degrees and had to go back because it wasnt fusing properly
Yes and the fix for prematurely failing fuser rollers on these models is to increase fuser temp by +5.

Hansoon
05-19-2016, 07:39 PM
Thanks for all your input guys. Will come back on it later cause I had to suddenly take over another territory. When back in my own I'll pick up the issue again with that customer.

Hans

EarthKmTech
05-20-2016, 12:19 AM
Yes and the fix for prematurely failing fuser rollers on these models is to increase fuser temp by +5.

How much longer does it make it last? Currently I can only expect 2 drum lives before having to change the fusing units on these at the factory setting. Some machines it has to be changed at every drum change.

srvctec
05-20-2016, 12:24 AM
How much longer does it make it last? Currently I can only expect 2 drum lives before having to change the fusing units on these at the factory setting.
Not sure. That's the official "fix" from KM (take that for what it's worth) and we just started changing all our machines whenever we go on calls to the higher setting. We haven't had enough time to determine if it really works or not. We get way more mileage out of aftermarket UFRs in these and just put in a rebuilt fuser when the original one fails early.

allan
05-20-2016, 03:27 AM
How much longer does it make it last? Currently I can only expect 2 drum lives before having to change the fusing units on these at the factory setting. Some machines it has to be changed at every drum change.

I use 3de party thermistors that does not scratch the rollers making them go much longer.
Why don't you rebuild them with B250 UFR's, that works well and saves a lot of money.
I understand why you change the units if you work for KM directly, the stuff is cheap enough that way.

srvctec
10-29-2019, 09:31 PM
Well, I guess when we need answers, we should just RTFM. I somehow stumbled upon a setting in the service mode of the 423 series that is specifically for curl control but the morons at KM don't call it that. It's called "Print Interval Extension" and specifically mentions it's for fixing curling issues. WTF don't they call it CURL PREVENTION??!!!

blackcat4866
10-30-2019, 11:59 AM
Please let us know if it works. =^..^=

srvctec
10-30-2019, 05:25 PM
Tried it on a 283 here in the office with the internal jaminator finisher, just to see if it slowed down. I first timed the machine without the change to get a baseline time. Then I made the change in service mode to "2" which means that curl prevention is on all the time. Did a reboot of the machine to make sure the setting took, and then verified it was still set afterwards. Ran the timing test exactly the same, expecting the result to be considerably longer since the setting name indicates it would extend the time between the sheets of paper. It was actually a couple seconds faster with the setting set to "2". Also, no difference in curl but with the internal finisher installed, I wasn't expecting any difference.

I'll try it on a troublesome curling 423 in the field when I go on a call for it and update here if it made any difference.

tsbservice
10-30-2019, 06:10 PM
Did you try to lower Fusing temperature in order to reduce curling of the paper?
Just FYI they(KM) called this function High Humidity PPM Adjustment in 8-series manual and Fusing PPM control in i-series ;)

srvctec
10-31-2019, 03:44 PM
Did you try to lower Fusing temperature in order to reduce curling of the paper?
Just FYI they(KM) called this function High Humidity PPM Adjustment in 8-series manual and Fusing PPM control in i-series ;)

Yeah, back when we were having some machines with the issue, we tried decreasing and increasing the fuser temp without any change. I think for the most part, the places that were having the issue had cheap paper. We haven't really had many issues with this in the last couple years so maybe the customers listened and got better paper.

Yeah, I saw that KM changed the name in the newer machines because I wanted to find out if it was a feature on more than just the 423 series. Now we just need somebody to start using cheap paper or run their machine in a humid environment to find out if the setting works.:rolleyes:

Custom Search