PDA

View Full Version : DR512 Drums

Custom Search

kingarthur
07-19-2016, 08:30 AM
Has anyone had the latest batch of drums for the C224(e) range , where the chip is riveted to it, instead of the little black screw...going to make life a little difficult, used to be handy for swapping K & Y DRs for diagnosis purposes....

uzicomp
07-19-2016, 11:55 AM
what do you need?

habik
07-20-2016, 11:58 PM
Ah crap. Thanks for the update. :) time to keep some old screws from old drum units.

Sent from my iDon't believe in marketing device using Tapatalk

D Colour
12-21-2016, 10:23 AM
We have just received our first lot of these. What a con! :mad: Trying to force you into purchasing the colour drum units (which are more than twice the price!)

Did you come up with a solution to get round this - I've had a look at it and cant see a way of changing the chip without butchering it!:confused:

Thanks
J

habik
12-21-2016, 06:49 PM
We have just received our first lot of these. What a con! :mad: Trying to force you into purchasing the colour drum units (which are more than twice the price!)

Did you come up with a solution to get round this - I've had a look at it and cant see a way of changing the chip without butchering it!:confused:

Thanks
J

Since it is a rivet, drilling it out wil be the most precise and efficient to remove without damaging the chip. You may have to use vaccume to suck all the debree out. OR just snap it off and cut the rivet with snippers. Put bit of a glue from glue gun in? There is so many options. Or some decent industrial 2-sided tape perhaps to hold the chip in place.

Gift
12-22-2016, 02:35 PM
Totally easy:

rip out the old chip with force / remove pcb residues.

You'll either have to have new modified chips or modify old-style chips with a little multi drilling tool so you can slide the chip below the pin and lift it gently over the other fixing pin. No glue or fancy stuff needed and done within no time (if you have your chips prepped).

copier addict
12-22-2016, 02:45 PM
Totally easy:

rip out the old chip with force / remove pcb residues.

You'll either have to have new modified chips or modify old-style chips with a little multi drilling tool so you can slide the chip below the pin and lift it gently over the other fixing pin. No glue or fancy stuff needed and done within no time (if you have your chips prepped).

Are you saying to leave the rivet intact and remove the corner of the chip so it can slip under the rivet?

allan
12-22-2016, 03:59 PM
The first one i encountered i broke the chip off and used a cutter to get rid of the rivet.
The screws that holds the plastic strip to cover the charge unit works fine and seems OK without it.
Losing the K-chip is ok otherwise they collect in my tool-bag anyway.

splblazer91
12-27-2016, 12:18 AM
Heres what I do. Hold a soldering iron on the rivet for about 1 minute. It melts the plastic the rivet goes into. Then pull the board and rivet out together. Replace with a color drum chip by using a plastic screw.

Boltaction
12-28-2016, 11:07 PM
We have gotten into the habit of ripping out the K chip, cutting the pin and applying a dab of super glue to the back of the color chip.
The first time we encountered it we had got a call back for a drum unit setting error, turned out there was a bit to much super glue and the contact became clouded so it had to get cleaned off. But otherwise has worked well for us.
I'll have to try using the plastic screw from an old drum unit to secure the new chip.

I guess KM looks at it as we are stealing money from them.

Tech Helpdesk
01-03-2017, 03:04 PM
Hi all,

Yes they have kindly riveted the chips in place and it does not look good when you are breaking off the black chips and then having to glue color ones on !!

We are currently using the drum adapter tool that allows the fitment of black drums to the colors without having to change any chips, we even post the drums out to the customers now to fit themselves.

delboy10
01-03-2017, 03:19 PM
Heres what I do. Hold a soldering iron on the rivet for about 1 minute. It melts the plastic the rivet goes into. Then pull the board and rivet out together. Replace with a color drum chip by using a plastic screw.

Nice! Thanks for the tips.

delboy

kingarthur
01-03-2017, 04:49 PM
We have gotten into the habit of ripping out the K chip, cutting the pin and applying a dab of super glue to the back of the color chip.
The first time we encountered it we had got a call back for a drum unit setting error, turned out there was a bit to much super glue and the contact became clouded so it had to get cleaned off. But otherwise has worked well for us.
I'll have to try using the plastic screw from an old drum unit to secure the new chip.

I guess KM looks at it as we are stealing money from them.

If you superglue the chip in place, then how can you swap over the chips whilst on site, to diagnose a drum problem. Before replacing any drum, I swap it with another one in the machine to confirm it is the drum, to do this you need to be able to swap the chips over….

Boltaction
01-03-2017, 08:02 PM
If you superglue the chip in place, then how can you swap over the chips whilst on site, to diagnose a drum problem. Before replacing any drum, I swap it with another one in the machine to confirm it is the drum, to do this you need to be able to swap the chips over….

Well that's the kicker isn't it lol at least you are still able to swap color drums around. Like I said we will have to try the method of using a plastic screw to hold the new chip in place.

Boltaction
01-03-2017, 08:03 PM
Hi all,

Yes they have kindly riveted the chips in place and it does not look good when you are breaking off the black chips and then having to glue color ones on !!

We are currently using the drum adapter tool that allows the fitment of black drums to the colors without having to change any chips, we even post the drums out to the customers now to fit themselves.

Where can you find this adapter tool?

stan780953
01-31-2017, 11:24 AM
Any news on the adapter tool?

Gift
01-31-2017, 12:07 PM
Where can you find this adapter tool?

Looks pretty do-it-yourself. Guess you have to connect it somewhere and the resistors causing a fake-new-drum message triggered with the dip switch. Would be great to get in touch with a wiring diagram or what did it cost you?^^

allan
01-31-2017, 01:39 PM
One wire is common one is a just a bridge to let the machine know the drum is there and one is an ICP that pops to reset the count.
The timing for the C360 is easy its about a second after the front door closes. They changed that on the C364 machine to make it a bit more tricky.

Gift
01-31-2017, 02:08 PM
I just checked new chips - resistor value for K is ~33k and color (yellow) is ~5k - can't be hard to figure this out

One wire is common one is a just a bridge to let the machine know the drum is there and one is an ICP that pops to reset the count.
The timing for the C360 is easy its about a second after the front door closes. They changed that on the C364 machine to make it a bit more tricky.

yeah but that PCB doesn't look much intelligent so if the timing is tricky I guess you have to handle the DIP switches according to the expected timing

Update:

I just see that used chips are also have (different) resistor values so I guess this PCB does nothing more than loop through the cable from the chips terminal towards CN112 on the front pcb (behind the waste toner). The only thing it might do seems to add switchables resistors into the circuit, probably parallel connected.

Update:

Another thought - this tool might be permanently inside the machine correcting the resistor values in order to just install BK drums, even more easy^^

Custom Search