PDA

View Full Version : Konica Print Drivers

Custom Search

SlipperyCat
10-18-2016, 09:35 PM
Does anyone know why sometimes the "Auto Obtain" doesn't function when installing Konica drivers? I have the Port IP correct, model number correct. Doesn't make sense. All IP info looks good too.

I get this from time to time and it's always a pain when it doesn't work. Especially with account track and authentication settings enabled, or multiple finishing options.

habik
10-18-2016, 10:29 PM
Does anyone know why sometimes the "Auto Obtain" doesn't function when installing Konica drivers? I have the Port IP correct, model number correct. Doesn't make sense. All IP info looks good too.

I get this from time to time and it's always a pain when it doesn't work. Especially with account track and authentication settings enabled, or multiple finishing options.

What EXACT model and MANUFACTURER are we talking about?

Synthohol
10-18-2016, 11:02 PM
copiers should always be static, i dont care what anyone says unless there is a reservation on the dhcp server.
ive networked thousands of printers/copiers and using DHCP is bogus, if the IP changes nobody prints.

also auto obtain only works when the router supports DHCP and its active.

btw, what does auto obtain have to do with drivers? you need the IP to set as the port before even loading the drivers.

habik
10-18-2016, 11:12 PM
copiers should always be static, i dont care what anyone says unless there is a reservation on the dhcp server.
ive networked thousands of printers/copiers and using DHCP is bogus, if the IP changes nobody prints.

also auto obtain only works when the router supports DHCP and its active.

btw, what does auto obtain have to do with drivers? you need the IP to set as the port before even loading the drivers.

If you are using vendor manufacturer like then you should use their drivers too, although Konica will work as well but for printing only. Any extras you maybe in trouble.

The auto-obtain works only when used with proper vendor driver, and it works on static IP as well. It meant to ease the job of changing properties on driver or MFP in case you have a mismatch..a.e. Tray 1 Physicaly loaded with Thick 1 and driver is set to plain and you not sure where it was loaded then by auto obtain ( Obtain settings from device) it will update driver settings to current machine setup. (or that was the theory, how I understood it)

mx6turbo89
10-19-2016, 01:48 AM

This happens to me from time-to-time as well. Sometimes it's because SNMP isn't turned on at the MFP, but other times (same as you) I can't find a reason why it does this.

JR2ALTA
10-19-2016, 03:37 AM
if i recall correctly, you just have to uncheck "auto" and enter the IP address instead.

Synthohol
10-19-2016, 05:32 AM
OMG you meant auto obtain checkbox to download drivers from windows update. i thought you meant auto obtain an IP address!
i am so sorry about reading it out of context.
yeah i always uncheck that box and install manually.
again, sorry about my duh...

SlipperyCat
10-19-2016, 12:43 PM
No, most of you are still way off. lol A few of you understand what I am referring to. Let me clarify...

Most Konica, model specific drivers have a feature built-in that senses the options installed on the device. For example: Finishers, extra paper drawers, etc, etc. Once you load the driver with an IP port you right-click on properties and go to the configure tab. Under that area is an "Auto Obtain" feature. Even when checked, sometimes the driver won't pull the options into the driver. Yet, I can still print to the device, ping it, access the web interface. SNMP has always been checked and is on at the device level too. I've tried disabling SNMP too, nothing. It must be some kind of communication issue on the network, or a firmware glitch with certain models. I can't find any type of commonality with models though. It's totally random. I can't put a finger on it and still have not had anyone come up with a resolution.

I read something about DHCP someone posted. Possibly that is the reason if DHCP is not active on their network. I'll have to verify that. I will also uncheck the "auto" box and enter an IP address in the field manually although I think I've already tried that before. Thanks.

This has nothing to do with setting the machine to static or DHCP. I'm talking about driver functionality only here. But the drivers are loaded with a TCP/IP Port.

emujo
10-19-2016, 01:37 PM
The issue is caused by one of several things, SNMP or the driver version does not match the firmware/function version installed on the MFP. Find the server providing SNMP services and get the correct public write and read strings, ensure these settings match. The MFP is defaulted to public/private. If the customer is running SNMP V3, then you must input the v3 password in the driver tab. The MFP firmware and function versions are specific to driver versions. Check the PDF that accompanies the firmware file on KM's SSD site. this will give you the correct driver version you MUST use. A secondary fault in the driver install might be you did not choose the proper MFP family when loading the driver. For instance, one driver supports the C554e through C224e family, but when installing you must choose the C364e, or the C554e family during setup. Also, "updating" the driver versus doing a fresh install can corrupt the process. Hope you get through this, as with authentication turned on, you will not be doing any printing until the driver can contact the printer and pull the authentication info. Emujo

SmellsHot
10-19-2016, 01:40 PM
I've ran into this several times as well. I believe it is a firmware/driver compatibility issue. If you read through the readme files on the firmware it actually says to update the driver to xx level.
I just make sure to have a few different drivers with me for this purpose. Kind of a pain in the ass. I actually disable "auto obtain" after it pulls the info. I've ran into the auto obtain feature cause some issues with printing from time to time.

SlipperyCat
10-19-2016, 01:52 PM
The issue is caused by one of several things, SNMP or the driver version does not match the firmware/function version installed on the MFP. Find the server providing SNMP services and get the correct public write and read strings, ensure these settings match. The MFP is defaulted to public/private. If the customer is running SNMP V3, then you must input the v3 password in the driver tab. The MFP firmware and function versions are specific to driver versions. Check the PDF that accompanies the firmware file on KM's SSD site. this will give you the correct driver version you MUST use. A secondary fault in the driver install might be you did not choose the proper MFP family when loading the driver. For instance, one driver supports the C554e through C224e family, but when installing you must choose the C364e, or the C554e family during setup. Also, "updating" the driver versus doing a fresh install can corrupt the process. Hope you get through this, as with authentication turned on, you will not be doing any printing until the driver can contact the printer and pull the authentication info. Emujo

The best answer I've seen in years about this issue. Thank you.

Being on a support desk trying to do remote installs presents a huge problem with firmware because I simply can't address that end. But, I will note the SNMP more closely from now on. Regarding the "family" of drivers, yes, I am aware of this and always make sure the correct model is selected in the options but that never made a difference.

Do you have an easy way to verify SNMP settings while I am on a remote session? What if they don't have a server and everything is point-to-point local drivers?

mx6turbo89
10-19-2016, 03:28 PM
I've ran into this several times as well. I believe it is a firmware/driver compatibility issue. If you read through the readme files on the firmware it actually says to update the driver to xx level.
I just make sure to have a few different drivers with me for this purpose. Kind of a pain in the ass. I actually disable "auto obtain" after it pulls the info. I've ran into the auto obtain feature cause some issues with printing from time to time.

I disable 'auto obtain' as well once the info is received. Performing an 'auto obtain' every time a print job is initiated isn't needed and only adds to unnecessary traffic on the customer network and can actually slow things down in some cases.

wseyller
10-19-2016, 11:24 PM
There are some tools you could run against the copiers ip address. This one you just run the exe from command prompt. This should at least work to determine if basic snmp communication is possible to the device.

You need to download the utility below and run the commands from the directory where the exe is stored. A readme file is included that shows all the parameters.

https://www.snmpsoft.com/cmd-tools/snmp-walk/

Example: should work with version 1 or 2c. It will take a couple minutes to spit out all the OIDs.
snmpwalk.exe -r:192.168.1.50 -v:2c

You could use this command to limit the amount of OIDs to just a few.
snmpwalk.exe -r:192.168.1.50 -v:2c -os:.1.3.6.1.2.1.1 -op:.1.3.6.1.2.1.2

Custom Search