PDA

View Full Version : Scan to Gmail not working?

Custom Search

copyrooks
11-15-2016, 06:03 PM
Has anyone been encountering any scan to gmail issues, recently?? I have about 4-5 customers all with the same issue. It works good about 80% of the time but i always randomly get a server connection error message. I began to notice a pattern after the 4th customer called with the same symptoms. I ruled out their networks since our companies smtp settings work perfectly on all customers with no issues. The copiers i see this affecting are bizhubs 224e,c224e,454e,c454e. Any suggestions would be great, I hope i'm not the only one.

emujo
11-15-2016, 06:18 PM
Well, you're not the only one having these issues, but you seem to be the only one who has done absolutely zero research on the problem and resolution, as the corrective actions are all over these independent and the manufactures websites. Emujo

Synthohol
11-15-2016, 07:39 PM
What puzzles me is he mentioned e machines the non e had the issues that needed special firmware. The e machines worked right out of the gate.
Is the DNS correct on the copiers?
If it's intermittent than the settings are correct usually and Gmail is just being difficult.
Can they try another email server? Do they have verizon or cable they can create an email account with one of them and try again?

copier tech
11-15-2016, 08:22 PM
This is happening on all manufacturers. Google will randomly block any device, all you need to do is log into that gmail account read the email that gmail has sent warning about a new device using your password etc, simply choose the "this was me" option & you can scan again. Also it is important to have "allow unsecure devices" option enabled.
I've got dozens of devices all using the same account with out any issues (Canon,Ricoh & Konica)

copyrooks
11-15-2016, 11:07 PM
First off thanks for the responses I really appreciate your input.

As far as dns goes most of the customers affected had their dns auto obtain usually with Spectrum(TWC) dns or att dns. I have noticed switching to google dns (8.8.8.8) have made the errors less common, but they still exist. I would say out of 10 scan to email jobs 1 or 2 will fail. It can be to multiple addresses or single addresses per job it randomly has 1 or more with the error. I have checked on the allow less secure apps, in my experience nothing will go through if its off. I did create a new gmail account to troubleshoot these issues and I did already say "its me" on the email, as mentioned by copier tech. For the meantime I have put the customers on our company's smtp server settings which work 100% with no server connect issues ever after vigorous testing. I hope Synthohol that it is a google issue as this is beating my brain up thinking about it. I will be testing more tomorrow when i got some free time to see if i can replicate at my office on a demo machine. Thanks again i'll keep you updated.

mx6turbo89
11-16-2016, 02:00 AM
Since gmail is getting more security-centered these days, I've found that some customer gmail accounts have had the 2-step verification option turned on without their knowledge or input. In this case, you must get the customer to log in to their gmail account and create an 'app password' that they can use on their MFP. It's a one-time entry that should allow them to use their gmail account on their machine. One needs to be created for every machine if they want to use the same gmail account.

Also, if you don't have 2-step verification turned on and attempt to use the customer's gmail account on multiple machines, gmail will see this as spam activity and block the email. The only reliable way I've been able to make the gmail scans work is to turn on the 2-step verification feature and create app passwords.

copyrooks
11-22-2016, 04:14 PM
Since gmail is getting more security-centered these days, I've found that some customer gmail accounts have had the 2-step verification option turned on without their knowledge or input. In this case, you must get the customer to log in to their gmail account and create an 'app password' that they can use on their MFP. It's a one-time entry that should allow them to use their gmail account on their machine. One needs to be created for every machine if they want to use the same gmail account.

Also, if you don't have 2-step verification turned on and attempt to use the customer's gmail account on multiple machines, gmail will see this as spam activity and block the email. The only reliable way I've been able to make the gmail scans work is to turn on the 2-step verification feature and create app passwords.

Just to update you guys the 2 step verification with the use of app passwords, works perfectly. Thanks again for everyones help

Custom Search