PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub C450 with Fiery

Custom Search

blueboy2001
08-09-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm an IT bod in a department with about 80 users in the UK. About 18 months ago we got a C450 on lease direct from KM UK to replace several laser printers in order to save costs. I didn't spec the machine, it was done by a colleague who ordered it with the Fiery controller.

I have a number of questions and issues with the machine which I hope you can help with. I have had 3 different technicans out to the machine at various points but I'm not sure any of them really known enough technical detail to be much help. I know next to nothing about printers myself.

Firstly, the machine asked me yesterday to replace the Paper Dust Remover and Ozone filter. I have done this, but the message is still on the machine display. How can I reset it?

The crux of the problem is that I have always been very disappointed with the speed of the machine. I have brushed this under the carpet with the users up to now, until we had a Ricoh 45PPM B/W machine delivered to the floor below to replace an old Konica 7145 copier and it is much, much faster to print than the C450, so much so that if your print job is more than about 10 pages its actually quicker to go down 2 flights of stairs and pick your job up from the Ricoh, especially for duplex jobs. In its defence, the print quality of the C450 is noticeably better. I have complained about speed to the techs that have been out and they have said there is nothing wrong with the machine. I don't disagree with this, but I'm not convinced it is set up to give the best performance.

The machine is used for a mix of stuff, but the bulk of it's use is for small black and white jobs. We have a system that outputs templated letters with each one as a single job - sometimes several hundred at a time.

When a job is sent to the machine it seems to take about 10 seconds with RIP in the bottom left of the display, then it appears in the job list and takes about another 10 seconds to output the first page. By comparison, the Ricoh starts printing within 2 seconds of receiving the job and will have completed a single page job within 5 seconds. This is using each machines PCL driver to print a 25kb RTF file containing only text.

Is there any settings that will speed up the RIP process (although I'm not sure why a text file needs to be RIP'd at all) and/or the general printing speed? I'm happy to sacrifice quality for speed.

Can anyone point me to the latest Fiery drivers? We have version 2.01 I think but the date on them is quite old. The PS driver in particular seems flaky - I have problems at the moment with b/w prints coming out with a yellow tinge on them when sent via the PS driver. It also gives errors when printing PDF's with Auto Select Paper Size selected.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

random
08-09-2008, 01:31 PM
I dont work on these too often so someone else will probably have better answers for you. I will try anyway.

The paper dust thing is a pet peev of mine also. I hope someone has a way to reset this without going into service mode.

This machine is pretty quick and I would suggest you did a test that the speed is actuallly 45 pages per minute by running a job that is 50 odd pages and seeing how long it actually takes. The times I have meet this complaint the user had set the tray type to something other than normal paper like thick 1 or 2 which really slows the machine down with no obviouse indication of such on the control panel.

I guess your rip problem boils down to the fact you have a fiery when you won't benefit from it's power in you enviroment. The fiery is strong rip in graphics arts or vdp market but for you it would be an exspensive pain in the arse as it will rip you entire job before it will print it. The embedded controller will rip and print at the same time. My first suggestion would be to have the techs disconnect the fiery and run the native controller to see if you have any benifit from that.

If you had massive graphics files then you would pretty much give up waiting for the native controller but it does have it's place and it's place sounds like your office.

The europe site is pretty good at having the latest drivers konicaminolta.eu I think.

Hope this helps

leo
08-11-2008, 10:56 AM
maybe it have somthig to do with your networkport setting
be sure to use the tcpip port and custom-setting "lpr" quename "print" and lpr byte counting tagged.

this is the fastest way.

you have to reset paper dust remover in servicmode. i can tell you how.

samjake
08-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Re your parts that you replaced you need to get into service mode via pressing the utilitys/counter button then the details button then via the keys input stop,0,0,stop,0,1 password 92729272 press end press counter, then life then press the the parts u replaced then the c key to clear. Re your printing speed get you service co to disconnect the fiery & turn on the copiers standard controler.

Custom Search