PDA

View Full Version : C351 and IU's

Custom Search

Leela
08-20-2008, 06:05 AM
We have a Bizhub C351 w/ the IC-402.

When the Black IU reached its life and wanted to be replaced, we replaced it with a new one. Except on the life indicator, the brand new Black IU was already 'half used up' apparently.

Just recently the Yellow, Cyan, and Magenta IU's all want replacing. AT $600AUD each, fine, we got them. I just replaced the Yellow IU, but the life indicator says that the Yellow IU is almost all used up.

So far I haven't replaced the Magenta or Cyan IU's yet.

The linux boxes can print to the C351 fine, but the window's PC's say that it is 'Offline' because its IU's are at life and need replacing before it will print using the IC-402 driver.

Any ideas what the hell is up with the insanity with the life indicators?

Also we feel we only got about a quarter of the pages we should be getting per IU anyway. Whats up with that? About how long should the IU's be lasting us?

I'm an IT, unix, windows, osx geek. Complicated photocopying equipment is NOT my area of expertise, so I feel totally lost :confused:

random
08-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Well when you initially put an IU unit in it will only drop to half then do about 5mins of whirring and then the counter should be reset. To stop messages on your windows machines turn off snmp.

Leela
08-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Well when you initially put an IU unit in it will only drop to half then do about 5mins of whirring and then the counter should be reset. To stop messages on your windows machines turn off snmp.

SNMP is off. Windows PC's still can't print to the copier.

I'll check what the IU life remaining reads now...

random
08-20-2008, 08:11 AM
how are you printing from windows? RAW/LPR/SMB?

Leela
08-20-2008, 08:48 AM
I use the IC402 driver, and add a IP printer by creating a TCPIP printer port, and point it at the copier's IP address..... I believe its using raw therefore.

I certainly don't use SMB.

random
08-20-2008, 11:22 AM
impressive you get snmp messages when it is turned off. Print out the config sheet from the fiery and check that SNMP is turned off on that also.

laserman06
08-20-2008, 11:27 AM
When you put a new IU in the machine, it has to do it's adjustments. If it does not complete these adjustments properly, the IU will not be reset.

Enter service mode and check your warnings. Clear up the warnings and the IU should reset.

Leela
08-20-2008, 01:45 PM
When you put a new IU in the machine, it has to do it's adjustments. If it does not complete these adjustments properly, the IU will not be reset.

Enter service mode and check your warnings. Clear up the warnings and the IU should reset.

Right. So how does a noob like me enter service mode? :)

srazvan2002
08-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Try utility - counter - stop - 0 - 0 - stop - 0 - 1
then enter password
then stop - o - stop 9
enter iu life stop
then select not stop
this makes the copier not to stop if iu is at 0 copy life
and lets you print but the message still apears
hope it will work for you on c350 works

Leela
08-21-2008, 02:18 AM
Try utility - counter - stop - 0 - 0 - stop - 0 - 1
then enter password
then stop - o - stop 9
enter iu life stop
then select not stop
this makes the copier not to stop if iu is at 0 copy life
and lets you print but the message still apears
hope it will work for you on c350 works

This doesn't seem to do anything :(

Is that how you go into service mode?

nightshade
08-21-2008, 03:41 AM
The life on IU's can vary greatly depending on use. If you do alot of 1-2 copies (small runs) and alot of turning off and on, and alot of sitting between runs they will last a considerable shorter life then if the machine was put to heavy use.

That is probably why your units don't last very long, they are killed by rotations, not copies.

When you replace them, put them in, close the door and walk away for 15min. You cannot disturbe the process controll that needs to be run in the least.

Now is time to call an authorised service provider and bite the bullet on the bill.

laserman06
08-21-2008, 04:17 AM
You can see if there are any warnings by simply looking at the display. If a warning comes up, you should see an oil can icon. Touch it and the warning will be displayed.

mitchl
08-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Did the machine ever come to ready after the IU's were replaced? Look for an oil can on the control panel as others have suggested and if indeed its their touch to see what the P code is............ Depending on the firmware version in the machine there is a setting in the stabilizer screen for span 1 and 2 make sure this is on 2 as it cuts down on the amount of stabilization cycles that the machine does and increases IU life quite a bit. Where the IU's you bought brand new or advertised as brand new? It sounds like maybe someone sold you some used units, reason being when new units are installed the machine stabilizes and then resets the life counter, you said that the machine was calling for IU's which means that the life counter bars should have had all 10 blocks filled in. You also said that when you installed the new units that the life counters then read half full......... That's not right, it should still show full life counters till the machine stabilizes and resets then the counter will show no use. If a Pcode comes up during this process, its my experience that the life counter stay full till the problem is corrected and the machine stabilizes, so the machine showing them as having half life is probably correct and someone sold you used stuff.:mad:

mitchl
08-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Use the procedure above to enter service except when you hit the utility key look to the left and you will see the counter info and a button that says "Detail" touch it then follow the rest of the procedure that someone posted earlier.

Leela
08-22-2008, 03:18 AM
Use the procedure above to enter service except when you hit the utility key look to the left and you will see the counter info and a button that says "Detail" touch it then follow the rest of the procedure that someone posted earlier.

Thank you thank you thank you, and to everyone else who has also posted, THANK YOU.

What you said worked to get me into service mode.

Utility Counter, Detail, Stop, 0, 0, Stop, 0, 1.

I've had alot of fun in there :-)

1. I actually went to initialisation, and before resetting error states i thought i'd try reset data. Turned out to not be the BEST idea, since it reset everything on the machine back to defaults and I had to reconfigure it all for our network again so people could print, doh :)

2. In intialisation, error states, i reset that. Made no difference.

3. The "oil can" I think you people are referring to, displays P-22. The fiery controller unit displays "failure warning P22".

4. I disabled bitching about unit life.

5. I went to image unit stabilzation, and it indeed set for span 2 already.

6. I went to Life counters, and this is what i get for the image units:

Cyan: 3132M
Yellow: 3132M
Magenta: 3132M
Black: 3797M

When I originally changed the Black UI a few months ago, it only went to "half" on the unit life counter.

When I swapped over the cyan, yellow, and magenta UI's 3 days ago, they went only down a tiny bit, as in 9 or so out of 10 bars on the unit life counter.

I have no idea if the process that runs after the UI's are replaced was allowed to run.

I am pretty sure these were all brand new unused UI's, coming from our reputatable supplier for all our printing needs (we have various HP large format plotters, xerox printers, and more) and never had a problem with them.

But i'm not sure.

So thank you all for showing me up to get into service mode. Still not 100% sure whats up with the life indicator on the UI's and what P22 means though.

laserman06
08-22-2008, 04:33 AM
P-22 Color Shift test pattern Failure.

The color shift amount is greater than the specified
range during main scan direction registration correction.
• The color shift amount is greater than the specified
range during sub scan direction registration correction.
• The skew correction amount is greater than the specified
value.

This code is usually caused by dirty registration sensors or a bad transfer belt unit. My bet is dirty sensors. Trying to describe where the sensors are can be confusing.

They are located underneath the right side of the transfer belt unit, to the right of the black image unit. In order to see them you must remove the transfer belt. After removing the transfer belt look in through the side of the machine. You should see a silver bar/plate with two rectangular holes. This plate will slide. If you slide it, you can blow out the sensors with a blower brush or canned air. I have included a picture of the location of the sensors.

Hope this helps
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/THEEDE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg

Leela
08-22-2008, 04:45 AM
P-22 Color Shift test pattern Failure.

The color shift amount is greater than the specified
range during main scan direction registration correction.
• The color shift amount is greater than the specified
range during sub scan direction registration correction.
• The skew correction amount is greater than the specified
value.

This code is usually caused by dirty registration sensors or a bad transfer belt unit. My bet is dirty sensors. Trying to describe where the sensors are can be confusing.

They are located underneath the right side of the transfer belt unit, to the right of the black image unit. In order to see them you must remove the transfer belt. After removing the transfer belt look in through the side of the machine. You should see a silver bar/plate with two rectangular holes. This plate will slide. If you slide it, you can blow out the sensors with a blower brush or canned air. I have included a picture of the location of the sensors.

Hope this helps
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/THEEDE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg

Thanks. But by colour shift, do you mean that on printouts the colours are not correctly lined up? Because that is what is happening... at least, i think the black is not lined up perfectly with the other 3 colours on printouts. Its like there's a "ghosting" or "blur" but its quite minor.

laserman06
08-22-2008, 11:50 AM
That is correct. It is basically color registration. The machine layers the colors on top of each other to produce the finished print. If the registration is off then you do get the blurred print.

Pull all of your image units out.
Clean your LPHs.
Reinstall the IU.
See if it goes through the adjustments and comes to ready, without the P-22

mitchl
08-22-2008, 06:27 PM
That is correct. It is basically color registration. The machine layers the colors on top of each other to produce the finished print. If the registration is off then you do get the blurred print.

Pull all of your image units out.
Clean your LPHs.
Reinstall the IU.
See if it goes through the adjustments and comes to ready, without the P-22

Look in utility and see what kind of life the transfer belt has on it, it may be time to clean or replace it if the above doesn't fix it....... By the way how many total copies does this machine have on it?

Leela
08-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Its monday finally, and i just got in to work so i'll give that a try. (Taking out the IU's and cleaning the LPH's).

The transfer belt should be okay, its not even at half life.

The machine has only done some 60,000 copies. I can give you an exact number in a few, its been a week or more since I remember last looking at the number but thats about the figure I remember it being.

Leela
08-24-2008, 11:47 PM
Okay, from the webinterface:

Total
CounterCopy + Print

Leela
08-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Okay, I did what you said... the machine sat on 'stabilizing image' for a while, and then went back to P-22 once it finished.

I still think its only the black that's not lining up correctly.

pepper38_cnd
08-25-2008, 01:04 AM
If I understand correctly this began when you replaced the black IU, you have since replaced other IU's but the life has not been reset because the machine never completed stabilization. Try puting the old black IU into the machine wait for stabilization to complete and then check to see if the other color IU's that have been replaced life counters are cleared. If so you just happened to get a bad Black IU. Have it replaced and your set.

B0265
09-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Leela, did you solve the P22 problem?

Leela
09-04-2008, 03:06 PM
No, unfortunately I haven't. It looks like it may be due to a bad black UI, and I don't have the old one to put back in so there's not much I can really do at the moment :(

Tech02
10-15-2008, 07:02 AM
The reason it's not resetting is because of the P-22 code.
The first thing I would check is your black print head which is can be seen right when you pull out the K IU you can see a pin sticking to the right and just make sure it's not loose. If it is you can some epoxy to tighten it up. I've ran to this issue a few times and it's always been that.
To check your IU you can to the tech rep mode and "TEST MODE" and do the "Gradiation" and juts make sure the black looks fine.

Leela
10-15-2008, 08:47 AM
The reason it's not resetting is because of the P-22 code.
The first thing I would check is your black print head which is can be seen right when you pull out the K IU you can see a pin sticking to the right and just make sure it's not loose. If it is you can some epoxy to tighten it up. I've ran to this issue a few times and it's always been that.
To check your IU you can to the tech rep mode and "TEST MODE" and do the "Gradiation" and juts make sure the black looks fine.

OMG, that fixed it.

The little pin thing on K was not only loose, it came right out when I touched it... its totally broken off...

Still, I fiddled with it and got it standing in there (at the right angle by looking at the other IU's) and put the black IU back in... and it works.

P-22 has FINALLY gone away.

The IU Life counters have reset to 0 on all IU's.

And the black prints perfectly aligned with the other colours!

Hooray!!!

ty so much <3

Tech02
10-17-2008, 01:41 AM
Glad to hear it. It can be a little tricky but once you figure it out it's pretty easy to fix.

kalimero
10-17-2008, 07:46 AM
To enter SM go : press Utility/Counter , touch Details ,press stop , 0 , 0 , Stop , 0 , 1

Custom Search