PDA

View Full Version : can't print PDF's imported into Quark

Custom Search

slgrez
08-21-2008, 08:58 PM
We have a Konica Minolta bizhub 203
I am printing from an Intel Mac 10.4.11
I use Quark and I'm trying to print out a 16 page 11x17 newspaper. It won't print the pages that I've imported PDF's into Quark. I know it's the PDF's b/c when I change them to a tif then it prints. But I can't leave them as tif and it's annoying to switch back and forth from client supplied PDF's to tif's.
I can make PDF from these pages to supply to our Printing people but I can't print out pages for me to proof before I make the final PDF's of the pages.

Please someone help me! I've called our the people who set us up with this Kinolta but nothing has worked.

Mr Spock
08-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Can you open them in adobe (acrobat or reader) and print them. If so then it is in Quark and not the machine. Other than that I am out of ideas because I am not familiar with Quark.

slgrez
08-22-2008, 02:01 PM
yes it is a Quark problem. I can print out PDF's from Acrobat but I need to be able to print the imported PDF's from Quark.

pepper38_cnd
08-23-2008, 01:10 AM
I don't know if this is your case but I just went thru a Mac print issue, and what the KonicaMinolta tech support told me and it solved my problem was... The selfinstaller for the Mac 10.3 / 10.4 places the driver in several different places, I was always choosing it from the KonicaMinolta file ( that only made sense to me ). But what they told me is that the driver must be pulled from the system/library/printers/drivers.... anyway I'm not in front of a Mac right now to tell you the exact loaction but I'm sure you can figure it out. Try reconfiguring the printer to point to the driver in the last folder in the directory you will see every printer you can imagine in that directory as well.

Good Luck

slgrez
09-08-2008, 03:48 PM
I figured it out.
It's the InDesign created PDF's that we've imported to our layout in Quark.
Some clients provide PDF's that we HAVE to import into our Quark page... does anyone know how to save an InDesign file so that it will work in Quark? and please don't suggest that I just switch to InDesign b/c that is not an option.

Specilist KVN
09-09-2008, 05:56 PM
I figured it out.
It's the InDesign created PDF's that we've imported to our layout in Quark.
Some clients provide PDF's that we HAVE to import into our Quark page... does anyone know how to save an InDesign file so that it will work in Quark? and please don't suggest that I just switch to InDesign b/c that is not an option.

Just google: Indesing to quark.
You will get quite a few returns on software that will do that.

Placeing a PDF into a document as a graphic is NOT what they are designed to do, you can run into so many problems, fonts, layers, colour profiles, etc. The fact you have no control over the creation of these files leaves you at the mercy of the Operator who did.

If you are placing them into quark for imposition then just purchase an imposition program/plug-in and run it through Acrobat. (Quite imposing is VERY good).

You could try resaving the PDFs as an earlier version. This could get rid of the elements that are giving you issues.

slgrez
09-09-2008, 06:19 PM
I initially thought the problem was the printer since I've never had a trouble before with our color printers. (we had a fiery before this)
I've found a round about answer.
I can change the InDesign PDF to an EPS in Acrobat and it imports into Quark and prints perfect.

Custom Search