PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous C360 printing speed.

Custom Search

Nommo
07-26-2017, 01:28 AM
Hey.
I've got one C360 machine on client's side, which is used to print huge documents (some graphics stuff etc.). First problem was, that these documents (~250mb+) caused machine to pass out (once the print was being sent to machine, it was accepting data and after some time screen went black and.. that's it. needed to reset the machine to get it back). Seems it disappeared after changing settings in Windows driver (to send document directly to machine, not in "chunks" - actually it should help other way round, but for some reason that even helped in priting speed). But it still takes quite much time to send. Teoretically the network speed shouldn't be a bottleneck (cmon on worst case scenario it's 100mbit/s, cuz everything works on cables, no WiFi). Are there any other options I can try out? Maybe fiery controller would help out, has anyone any words about it, cuz I don't have expiriance with it on these series)?

Regards,
Nommo.

allan
07-26-2017, 04:34 AM
Have you tried different drivers. If you are using PS try PCL. Put the job on a thumb drive and plug it in on the machine.
Is it a 250Mb file or does it spool to that size?
What kind of file is it?
What OS and app it in use?

Nommo
07-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Yep, both drivers checked. It's some kind of Photoshop, which gets exported to pdf (around 10mb) and than gets flattened and finally we get this huge file. Os is windows 7 + Photoshop as mentioned before. I am always using TCP/IP, so that's not the problem. If I will be on clients side I will remember to tell about USB option, somehow I used all the time to find out the solution of problem instead of another option :-)

Thanks,
Nommo.

tech51
07-26-2017, 06:50 PM
I use the pcl driver and set up an lpr port with byte counting enabled. I always set the print spooling on the driver to print after last page is spooled (in the advanced tab on the driver). This means the data is sent in one go from the computer to the copier. You may also like to experiment with turning on or off spool using hdd setting on the copier.

emujo2
07-26-2017, 08:16 PM
Check the NIC and ensure it is set to max speed (100 MB I think or auto). If you open the print viewer and send one of these jobs what are you seeing

1. Print job starts out a 10 mb and balloons to 100 or more before the MFP data light starts flashing, print job shows sent and copier begins to print at rated speed.
2. Print job shows 10 mb and then shows job sent. MFP data light starts flashing and print job takes huge amount of time to start printing, but when it starts, the job finishes at rated speed
3. Similar to #2, but print jobs come out 1 page at a time with a long delay between prints.

You also might want to check and post the version of the drivers you are using and the OS of the workstation, and if this is a shared driver (from print server). Emujo

Nommo
07-26-2017, 08:46 PM
Tech51 - I will check out if these settings will do when I will be there :)

Emujo - As far as I remember I checked and Ethernet speed is AUTO, but I am not sure, will check it out. For me it seems it's option #1 from which you gave me.
The driver is not shared, we are talking about Windows7 64bit + newest drivers (3.7.0.0 PostScript, the one which is dedicated for these series, not Universal).

Regards,
Nommo.

femaster
07-27-2017, 12:29 AM
Yep, both drivers checked. It's some kind of Photoshop, which gets exported to pdf (around 10mb) and than gets flattened and finally we get this huge file. Os is windows 7 + Photoshop as mentioned before. I am always using TCP/IP, so that's not the problem. If I will be on clients side I will remember to tell about USB option, somehow I used all the time to find out the solution of problem instead of another option :-)

If I'm reading you description correctly, it's a PDF that you are printing? PDFs have always been an issue, especially large ones. In most PDF viewers there was an option on the print dialogue box that you can select that stated something like, "Print as image", which drastically speeds of printing of PDFs. Of course if they are using the browser to view and print the PDF, chances are that option won't show.

Woxner
07-27-2017, 12:33 AM
change the network speed on the machine to 10/100/1GB in admin mode under machine setting. i had the same problem with large file 11*17. it was crashing and timming out from the slow print. no problem since

blackcat4866
07-27-2017, 01:09 AM
This is a little extreme but it's the example that I experienced:

I had a C360 doing this. My enduser was printing photographic quality PDF images, 36" x 48" original image size, flattened and reduced to 8 1/2" x 11". I had two C360's within 20 ft. of each other. Machine #1 was a little slow (10 minutes per page), and machine two was a lot slow (70 minutes per page).

As an experiment, I swapped locations of the two identical printers. Then machine #2 was 10 minutes, and machine #1 was 70 minutes. By that point I had a pretty good idea what was going on. When I rolled out machine #2 initially, there was a nest of Cat5 a good 4" deep.

The line from the wall to the switch was 50ft long and coiled up.
The line from the switch to the VOIP box was 100ft long.
And the line from the VOIP box to the MFP was 50ft long.
It was a 1000MB network, but the switch was a 100MB device, and the VOIP box was 10MB device.

If I removed the superfluous 200ft of wire, switch and VOIP box out of the chain, it printed that same gigantic file in about 10 minutes. When you daisy chain network devices like this, the MFP can only communicate at the lowest speed device's speed.

When I printed the huge sample file from my laptop via crossover, it took about 10 minutes. A normal PDF 1000 pg service manual printed at rated speed.

And all this for a government job. Photography was a side job and she was using the company printer only because it did a better job than her POS home printer. =^..^=

Nommo
07-27-2017, 03:15 PM
Nah, it's new building, all cat5e, so nothing to worry there. Also switches are literally new stuff so there shouldn't be any problem there. I will check the Nic card speed setting and the thing in pdf viewer, but I'm pretty sure it's already set to make images.

Thanks for help :-)
Nommo.

emujo2
07-27-2017, 06:10 PM
Tech51 - I will check out if these settings will do when I will be there :)

Emujo - As far as I remember I checked and Ethernet speed is AUTO, but I am not sure, will check it out. For me it seems it's option #1 from which you gave me.
The driver is not shared, we are talking about Windows7 64bit + newest drivers (3.7.0.0 PostScript, the one which is dedicated for these series, not Universal).

Regards,
Nommo.

If it's number 1, then it's probably not a problem with the C360. All the ripping is being done on the client and until the job has completed ripping (this is that 10mb increasing in size you see) it will not be sent to the MFP. If this is an advance job done in Acrobat, illustrator or some other desktop publishing, it has to do all this number crunching to make a file the MFP can work with. Print as image might help. Another thing you can use as a tool is to send the job to that little old HP sitting back in the corner, if this prints the job relatively quickly, then you can be pretty sure the issue is with the file type being sent and all the conversion that has to take place (HP are usually true PS printer versus the MFPs that are emulators). Try taking that acrobat or illustrator file and saving it as PDF, then send the job. My guess is you will see a marked improvement. Emujo

Nommo
07-27-2017, 07:30 PM
If it's number 1, then it's probably not a problem with the C360. All the ripping is being done on the client and until the job has completed ripping (this is that 10mb increasing in size you see) it will not be sent to the MFP. If this is an advance job done in Acrobat, illustrator or some other desktop publishing, it has to do all this number crunching to make a file the MFP can work with. Print as image might help. Another thing you can use as a tool is to send the job to that little old HP sitting back in the corner, if this prints the job relatively quickly, then you can be pretty sure the issue is with the file type being sent and all the conversion that has to take place (HP are usually true PS printer versus the MFPs that are emulators). Try taking that acrobat or illustrator file and saving it as PDF, then send the job. My guess is you will see a marked improvement. Emujo

Roger that will check that out, when will be there. The main aim is to print the file somehow, obviously printing faster is much better, that's why I ask. For now my steps (before I started the thread- they are in main post) fixed the "blackout" issue, but when I will be there next time I will try some more tricks from this thread. Definitely I will come back here and tell if and what helped :)

Thanks a lot for help,
Nommo.

Don N.
08-01-2017, 12:39 AM
All this is good info. Just like to add to what blackcat4866 said. When I install a machine and have to add a switch, I pay extra for a GB switch. No more 10/100 for most any environment. I don't want to kill their pc's, voip phone or other device's bandwidth, even and especially on a 10/100 network.

Nommo
08-01-2017, 12:54 AM
Well.. In my country (Poland) most of the time I have to handle already existing network. Most of the times there's router from ISP, which again most of times is 10/100 so I can do nothing about it. But actually on this occasion there should be 10/100/1000 switches, cuz this is quite huge company and everything is brand new so I belive it's 1Gbit :) When I will be there I will reply what worked and what not :)

Regards,
Nommo.

Don N.
08-01-2017, 03:19 AM
My IT guy told me to look at it like this: on a 10/100 network... using a 10 port "fast ethernet 10/100" switch, now has max10mb per port bandwidth. Same network using a 10 port GB switch has max 100MB (full speed capacity per port). Of coarse the total is still the total, but I'm usually installing just a 5 port switch and usually just plugging in 1 pc and the copier where there was only 1 jack available. So the two devices have up to 100mb bandwidth each, when available vs up to 10mb max.

Nommo
08-28-2017, 09:27 PM
Hi!
I was few times on site so I will post what I did:
1) Using option "Print as image" in PDF made file size flying up to whopping 500mb, but actually that was the way to do, because when it was sent to MFP it was printed instantly.
2) All of you talking about network speed... You were right guys. When I made several tests I could achive whopping 50ms ping between PCs and MFP (all without WiFI - well.. meh..). But when I took laptop and plugged it in insted of MFP (to the same ethernet cable) and made speed test between random PC and this laptop... 2mbit/s in local network. Well.. I didn't expected this, but that's the only reason of slow transfers :)
3) I tried printing from USB - and ofc I found more problems - Client has C220 and C360. On C220 everything was working nice (besides that 180mb files caused freeze of MFP and I had to restart it - so no luck there - for me it wasn't possible to print them out). But C360 had interesting error. I tried 2 ports (one close to the panel, one at the back [not Firmware port - don't worry :) ]) and everytime, no matter what file I tried to printout I got "KONICA MINOLTA C360 error page".
Here's photo of that:

I've never seen that one - so I literally had no idea where should I dig in. "undefined" error message didn't help me either. I downloaded configs of both MFPs - I will dig into them and check differences, but machine adjustments files are almost same (no major differences in settings connected with scanning / printing / box).

Had anyone encountered this kind of problem?

-------------

What I did to machine to make it printing faster (maybe some1 will need that kind of info):
1) HDD is not printing buffer
2) Network card's speed set to 100mbit/s (couldn't get 1gbit/s working - MFP would connect to network at all).
3) On PC - tried "Print as image" setting.

Regards,
Nommo.

EDIT:
I just realized that I may know the answer - I forced MFP to print everything as PostScript. When I will be there I will try that out, or maybe someone has any other answer :) ?

Custom Search