PDA

View Full Version : replace c203 with c224, good idea?

Custom Search

PinkPanther
12-08-2017, 06:24 PM
Hi,

I am going to replace my old Konica Minolta Bizhub c203 (170000pages) DF-611, FS-519, SD-505, FK-502, PC-104
with a newer but also used Bizhub c224 (50000 pages) - same options.

Which machine is better from technical side?

- opinions?

Thx

D_L_P
12-08-2017, 10:26 PM
Both are good machines. I prefer the c224. They have a better paper feed system, easier firmware upgrades, and separate drum/developer. The developers last ridiculously long. We have tons of both in the field. If you liked the c203 you'll be happy with the c224.

PinkPanther
12-08-2017, 10:54 PM
hello D_L_P

"They have a better paper feed system, easier firmware upgrades, and separate drum/developer."

better paper feed and separate drum developer unit are definitely good arguments.
-did not know that so far.

If you have "tons" in the field it makes me confident.:)

And yes, I am very pleased with the c203.

Thank's for you input.

copyman
12-08-2017, 11:22 PM
The bizhub C203 is end of life status with K/M. I have been replacing all my C203/253/353's with the C224's. One of the best things about it is saves the end user a lot of $$ is the consumable life messages can be turned off. My customers end up having the machine pay for itself in a few years on what they save on consumables. You could do this on the C203 , etc with F/W, etc but it was a PIA

I really like the Biz C203 series for its time and had a lot of them in service at one time but I think there is no comparison to the C224. Let's not forget there was a decent machine in between the C203 & C224, the Biz C220 series. Not a bad machine in its own right. But the C224 is 2 generations newer. The ADF being one of the biggest improvements along with what the other poster said the paper drawer feeding upgraded.

PinkPanther
12-08-2017, 11:54 PM
"bizhub C203 is end of life status" - that is why I was planning to change to the c224.
My c203 is still under service-contract, but it will not be extended further.

With the knowledge about the c224 so far, I will then keep c224 for longer time. :)

"consumable life messages can be turned off" Great to hear. I will get back to you, when
service contract of the c224 is running out.:cool:

By the way: What is the difference between the C224 and the C224"e" ?

Thx

copyman
12-09-2017, 02:55 AM
C224 & C224E are basically the same machine except few minor changes with the biggest change being the control panel doesn't slide anymore. The "E" is for "Enhanced" i.e. Web access, Apps, wireless, etc.

Keeping the C224 is a good move.

JR2ALTA
12-09-2017, 05:19 AM
Both are good machines. I prefer the c224. They have a better paper feed system, easier firmware upgrades, and separate drum/developer. The developers last ridiculously long. We have tons of both in the field. If you liked the c203 you'll be happy with the c224.

not sure why you think separate drum and dev is a better thing. nothing easier than sliding in an entire image component with zero scews

that being said YES upgrade, 4 series one of the best boxes ever made

allan
12-09-2017, 09:30 AM
The C360 still stays my favorite machine. The C203 is very expensive to run and that would show on the service charges, its got some bad pains from the waste toner section to the ribbon cable and the transfer roller retraction system. First print out takes ages and is generally slow.

If i had my own print shop you can get a C360 for cheap, and cheat and maintain it cheaply. The C360 paper feed beats the C224. Its without the J2002 and J99XX problems good old NVRam instead of the dodgy SSD also no other controller issues like the C FA14 software thread error that can be cause by strong winds around the machine.
Licensing issues after board replacement does not stop the machine and can be cracked if the messages become annoying.

If i had i choice between a C224 and a C360 in the same condition i will take the C360. It will get the job done.

kmcopytech
12-09-2017, 10:36 AM
Hi,

I am going to replace my old Konica Minolta Bizhub c203 (170000pages) DF-611, FS-519, SD-505, FK-502, PC-104
with a newer but also used Bizhub c224 (50000 pages) - same options.

Which machine is better from technical side?

- opinions?

Thx

I like C360 and C368 series machines.

Better toner supply system.

HA-ha....!

Jack.

Hansoon
12-10-2017, 04:41 AM
If i had i choice between a C224 and a C360 in the same condition i will take the C360. It will get the job done.

Thanks for that remark Allan. I have to replace two rental BH-C-253 and my people are trying to push me to the xx4-series since they are "newer" but I would like to replace them with two C-280 or C-360 if I can find them with low mileage. Until now I have with the C-280/360 rather good experiences.

Did I mention that I HATE those BH-C-203/253/353?
Problems with waste toner system, failing drive motors, squeaking clutches, laser units, TB, firmware loading etc. For sure I left some more out, but that must be psychological repression..........

Hans

copier addict
12-13-2017, 06:24 PM
Thanks for that remark Allan. I have to replace two rental BH-C-253 and my people are trying to push me to the xx4-series since they are "newer" but I would like to replace them with two C-280 or C-360 if I can find them with low mileage. Until now I have with the C-280/360 rather good experiences.

Did I mention that I HATE those BH-C-203/253/353?
Problems with waste toner system, failing drive motors, squeaking clutches, laser units, TB, firmware loading etc. For sure I left some more out, but that must be psychological repression..........

Hans

In my opinion the 4 series is better than the 0 series. Maintenance costs are a lot less. Way better DF and dual scanning is available (less wear and tear on a already poorly designed DF). Just make sure the firmware is up to date and they will go a long time.

EarthKmTech
12-14-2017, 10:18 AM
C353 was the last medium sized KM office machine to have decent thickness steel used in the flatbed scanner base and frame. The current upto C368 series scanner is so flimsy if someone leans on the front corner or the couriers move the machine by the scanner body when delivering it, it will likely never scan perfectly straight and true again (off the glass)

Otherwise they are good machines and print quality is good as long as you use quality paper - low quality crap paper will still work ok in C353 series but WILL have second transfer holes in 4 & 8 series color solids particularly on the second side.

There are several reliability modifications to bring a 4 series and early E series upto late E series reliability standards. A competent technician should be able to see/feel if these modifications have been done practically instantly.

PinkPanther
02-13-2018, 10:27 PM
Hello to all,

I have the c224 in my office now. I’m basically very satisfied.

It works (compared to the c203) very quiet, especially in saving modes. A very nice machine.

Also the touch-display is a big step forward.

But: ;)

Of course there are some problems, as always, if you install something new.

First is:

The former owner did for security, and to clean user adjustments, a HDD format.
So far so good, but as you now, the movie file is lost after.

Does somebody of you have the Movie file for the 224?

Do you need Firmware information for that?

I have service documentation, but I do not have the movie-file

Thank you in advance.

Custom Search