PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Scan to Email Bizhub 224E and C554

Custom Search

joe.m1989
04-19-2018, 02:29 PM
I am currently working on two different printers at two different locations. I'll start with the Bizhub 224e.

The Bizhub 224e is not scanning to email. It is a fairly national company, with their own IT team. They have their own email client, (not sure if its gmail business, outlook, or what.)
It is set up with SMTP, no authentication. I can ping the smtp server IP address, their DNS servers, everything. I am not sure if their email uses SSL or TLS, but I was working with SSL when trying a custom gmail account. When I change their information to the custom gmail account I set up, it doesn't want to send at all. I use the same account on my local printer, same model, and without issue, it will send an email. I extend the connection time out from 60 seconds to 5 minutes, and it doesn't send. It keeps trying to send the email, up until the point of the connection time out. This is kind of leading me to being something with their firewall, but I get back to why it might not be in a bit.

The second company is more of the same, custom email client, I can ping the smtp server, the dns servers, and everything. I will say it is a bit odd that their computers are on a different subnet mask than the printers. When I try to put in the same subnet mask as the computer, the printer goes down, but when I set the printer back on auto IP, it grabs the original subnet mask. This company does not use SMTP authentication, and SSL is turned off.

Both of these where more along the lines the same thing happening, it just randomly stopped working. I've been working on these two issues for the past few weeks, to no avail. The reason I was thinking it may not be their firewall was because I saw something along the lines of needing to update the firmware on the machines. Is this truly the case? The second location in question has two of our Konica's, but I forgot the second model, and it hasn't been emailing out either.

bsm2
04-19-2018, 03:30 PM
If there have there own IT contact them for the email settings No Authentication is rare unless they setup a mail relay.

Most companies with IT will setup an account just for the copier to email.

Same with the other account setup scan to email using there email server and account ONLY.

NEVER NEVER use or setup an email account for a customer if you do YOU OWN IT and so does your company.

Gateway must be set to out bound email

joe.m1989
04-19-2018, 03:45 PM
NEVER NEVER use or setup an email account for a customer if you do YOU OWN IT and so does your company.

Gateway must be set to out bound email

I was saying I did that method to test if I could get anything out, which I could not

bsm2
04-19-2018, 04:08 PM
I was saying I did that method to test if I could get anything out, which I could not

IT may have the network locked down

Bix
04-19-2018, 04:17 PM
Hi, I think the problem is the firewall. IT must enable ports for SMTP and must authorize DNS.

You must understand with the IT the SMTP manager (local, Gmail, outlook etc.)

As soon as you have identified the manager, you can search the internet for the correct configuration.

bsm2
04-19-2018, 04:30 PM
Hi, I think the problem is the firewall. IT must enable ports for SMTP and must authorize DNS.

You must understand with the IT the SMTP manager (local, Gmail, outlook etc.)

As soon as you have identified the manager, you can search the internet for the correct configuration.

Once again Contact there IT for correct settings

joe.m1989
04-19-2018, 04:42 PM
Once again Contact there IT for correct settings

I have contacted them, with the 224e she only gave me a screenshot of the old settings with the printer prior. She wasn't very helpful.

The other one, c554, I sent them a screenshot of ip addresses and stuff, and I've yet to hear back from them.

On the first printer, the 224e, I'm convinced its on their end, but she was adamant about "well, it would be down in multiple locations, not just the one," but I had the manager of the printer in question contact another location, and they are unable to scan to email as well. So, I'm like 70% convinced its their firewall. The only reason why I'm not more is because of the firmware issue I have seen before.

Bix
04-19-2018, 04:53 PM
Sometimes besides IT there is also a system administrator. However you could create a gmail account for them, even if this is the worst solution.

If gmail does not work and the configuration is correct, it is necessarily the firewall.

bsm2
04-19-2018, 05:01 PM
I have contacted them, with the 224e she only gave me a screenshot of the old settings with the printer prior. She wasn't very helpful.

The other one, c554, I sent them a screenshot of ip addresses and stuff, and I've yet to hear back from them.

On the first printer, the 224e, I'm convinced its on their end, but she was adamant about "well, it would be down in multiple locations, not just the one," but I had the manager of the printer in question contact another location, and they are unable to scan to email as well. So, I'm like 70% convinced its their firewall. The only reason why I'm not more is because of the firmware issue I have seen before.

It's NOT your job to provide email setup settings. There IT MUST provide complete email account settings
ie smtp port smtp server user name and password
does it use ssl or tls?

Do you have a machine that works? If so see what a the settings are the only one you can;t get is the password for the email account

Or sometimes large companies will relay mail using only there email address NO external emails ie gmail etc......

If not then explain to customer it can't be setup without the settings.

copyman
04-19-2018, 06:32 PM
I agree it is probably something simple like the firewall, password, etc.

When in doubt connect your laptop and scan. If it works bring their IT person over to show them it's something with their network. What more can you do if it scans to your laptop but not with their system? Your job is done. Once everyone in office starts bitching see how fast the IT dept will cooperate and help you out.

blackcat4866
04-20-2018, 12:20 AM
One of our big accounts uses a white list of acceptable senders to the SMTP server. So even when I copied the the settings EXACTLY off of another device, the server immediately identified the different MAC address and IP address, and blocked communication. It took me four different visits and four different local IT guys to figure this out. =^..^=

Custom Search