PDA

View Full Version : Fiery question. IP

Custom Search

rrrohan
10-26-2018, 05:14 AM
Got a fiery on a 4 series

Fiery connected to LAN and copier connects via fiery.

Fiery on .120
Copier on .121 but is assigned a virtual IP of 172.x.x.c

Can I just statically assign copier the 172.x.x.x address or does it have to be DHCP

I'm told if I want to statically set copier it needs its own cable to patch panel.

Is that true

I only ask because often fiery and copier are started at same time and copier boots up faster and often gives up waiting for a IP from fiery and ends up on a 169 address and hence standard PCL cue and scanning fails

I've told them to not power up copier for at least 3 mins after fiery (to be safe prob excessive) but they don't

Synthohol
10-26-2018, 05:23 AM
it displays a bogus address. just ignore it.
as a matter of fact, the fact you do see a 172.xx.249.x is actually a good sign the fiery is communicating well with the copier otherwise you see a 169.254... address instead.
just reboot the copier while the fiery is still on.
sorry i keep editing, im re reading your post and your fiery turns off when the copier is turned off? they can stay on 24/7. very little energy used.

copier tech
10-26-2018, 06:46 AM
Got a fiery on a 4 series

Fiery connected to LAN and copier connects via fiery.

Fiery on .120
Copier on .121 but is assigned a virtual IP of 172.x.x.c

Can I just statically assign copier the 172.x.x.x address or does it have to be DHCP

I'm told if I want to statically set copier it needs its own cable to patch panel.

Is that true

I only ask because often fiery and copier are started at same time and copier boots up faster and often gives up waiting for a IP from fiery and ends up on a 169 address and hence standard PCL cue and scanning fails

I've told them to not power up copier for at least 3 mins after fiery (to be safe prob excessive) but they don't

Fiery are designed to be left on all the time, same as mose servers.

Leave the copier to go to sleep, only turn off on Friday evening, but again copier can be left in sleep mode.

copyman
10-26-2018, 12:55 PM
Agree, leave on all the time. I don't use sleep mode and turn off on all "4" series. I've had a lot of issues with machines when coming out of sleep mode.

blackcat4866
10-26-2018, 03:07 PM
Some Fierys are more fussy than others. I have a couple out in the field that the copier must be completely shut down, the Fiery shut down completely, then the Fiery booted up completely to: 00, then start the copier bootup. Once everything is booted up click the "Connect" button in Fiery Workstation. About 10 minutes later it connects.

On this one particular machine, any time the MFP must be shut down for service I have to follow this procedure to get a connection.

Other machines, never lose the connection. I don't have a good explanation.
=^..^=

copyman
10-26-2018, 04:49 PM
Hey blackcat. I hear you about some of the IC-414's being very difficult to get to boot up. I just had one that I thoroughly tested in shop, sold the machine and 2 days later they called and said Fiery was dead, message on display just kept saying "turn on controller". Fiery button was green and zeros on fiery display. Only way I got it to work was clearing the CMOS by removing the battery and re-installing the system software with USB. Weird thing was first I reinstalled the sys soft with crossover cable and even though it completed and said it loaded properly it still had "turn on controller" message. After installing with USB it worked fine.

Customer also said this happen after they got a message that remote care connection failed. So I turned that off and sleep mode. Been about a week and so far so good.

rrrohan
10-27-2018, 12:49 AM
Yeah I know it should be left on. I suspect cleaners use this PowerPoint as it's halfway up wall so is easiest one to get to. I labelled it now.

But I just figured if IP was static instead of relying on DHCP from the RIP it would just be one less possible point of failure.

So I know it's simple as requested starting copier but why fix a problem if you can just avoid it happening.

One of the other techs told me if I want to do static I also need to change a few things in the fiery config?

Obviously you can tell I don't have fiery training lol

qbert69
10-30-2018, 07:50 PM
Yeah I know it should be left on. I suspect cleaners use this PowerPoint as it's halfway up wall so is easiest one to get to. I labelled it now.

But I just figured if IP was static instead of relying on DHCP from the RIP it would just be one less possible point of failure.

So I know it's simple as requested starting copier but why fix a problem if you can just avoid it happening.

One of the other techs told me if I want to do static I also need to change a few things in the fiery config?

Obviously you can tell I don't have fiery training lolSet mfp to dhcp until rip assigns it an ip address, then leave it be and lock it in as a static ip.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Synthohol
10-30-2018, 10:10 PM
Set mfp to dhcp until rip assigns it an ip address, then leave it be and lock it in as a static ip.

the 172.xx.249.2 address is just for display, the REAL emperon controller is the next IP up from the fiery.
if you lock in the 172.xx address you may not scan anymore.
you can assign the emperon controller its own address but then you need 2 cat 5 connections, one to fiery and one to emperon.
the only issue is that the fiery was turned off, when left on they can work solid for years.
just my experience with fierys since the Z4.

qbert69
10-30-2018, 10:28 PM
the 172.xx.249.2 address is just for display, the REAL emperon controller is the next IP up from the fiery.
if you lock in the 172.xx address you may not scan anymore.
you can assign the emperon controller its own address but then you need 2 cat 5 connections, one to fiery and one to emperon.
the only issue is that the fiery was turned off, when left on they can work solid for years.
just my experience with fierys since the Z4.Probably want to hook it up to a UPS if you want it to be "solid"!!![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

rrrohan
10-31-2018, 05:51 AM
If I set one up in future i think I'll always request 2 network ports on wall.

Daisy chaining just adds a point of failure.

Thanks for tips

KMFLT3CH
11-02-2018, 03:01 PM
Yes, always use two network cables for these types of setup, don't use the short crossover cable for the emperon to fiery.

One from the mfp to wall (or network switch)
One from the fiery to wall (or network switch)

During the fiery setup (follow the IC instructions!) tell the fiery not to auto-assign an IP to the emperon controller. Assign a separate IP yourself to the emperon controller under admin mode. It doesn't have to be a sequential address.

This way they can print via the fiery IP and/or the emperon IP, using the correct drivers for each IP (you would want to install two separate printers on their computer, or have IT do it)

HOWEVER, with the newest fiery's on the 8 series I've had issues at setup when configuring them this way. Usually on these newer models I set it up using the short crossover cable and let the fiery auto-assign the IP to the emperon. Then when all is completed I go into the fiery settings on the panel and disable the auto-ip to emperon and assign a static ip myself to the emperon. Again, this doesn't have to be the IP address right after the fiery's.

Custom Search