PDA

View Full Version : Shoot myself in the foot? BHC353

Custom Search

Desert Rat
03-28-2019, 02:11 AM
I found this BHC353 in the warehouse. It runs very nice. I know they discontinued this model in 2008 and that parts were stopped in 2015.
My question is do you think there's still enough out there for 2 or 3 more years? I'm going to start looking this weekend.
It has 766K on the total meter and 401K total black.
It shows the life bars on the 2 color drums, the fuser and T-belt at 9 bars each. The copy quality is pretty good. I know I can re chip/reset these items.
I forget if I can rebuild the fuser and I can get a t-belt rebuild kit from Precision roller for a little over $100 bucks. The machine cost is $150.00.
It has a fax and large capacity tray and finisher. I'm not impressed with the finisher on it. It is the one that slides out.
I've had good experiences with this model in the past. The customer I have in mind is generally a low volume placement in a dusty location.
Still there's something in the back of my mind that causes doubt.

One thing I did notice is that when I press the Oil can icon it beeps twice and does not display the warning codes. It was suggested to re-calibrate
the touch screen.

What does the community think?:confused:

Thanks

DR

rrrohan
03-28-2019, 04:47 AM
If its going into a dusty environment giving them a old copier is probably best anyway.

Phil B.
03-28-2019, 06:38 AM
I found this BHC353 in the warehouse. It runs very nice. I know they discontinued this model in 2008 and that parts were stopped in 2015.
My question is do you think there's still enough out there for 2 or 3 more years? I'm going to start looking this weekend.
It has 766K on the total meter and 401K total black.
It shows the life bars on the 2 color drums, the fuser and T-belt at 9 bars each. The copy quality is pretty good. I know I can re chip/reset these items.
I forget if I can rebuild the fuser and I can get a t-belt rebuild kit from Precision roller for a little over $100 bucks. The machine cost is $150.00.
It has a fax and large capacity tray and finisher. I'm not impressed with the finisher on it. It is the one that slides out.
I've had good experiences with this model in the past. The customer I have in mind is generally a low volume placement in a dusty location.
Still there's something in the back of my mind that causes doubt.

One thing I did notice is that when I press the Oil can icon it beeps twice and does not display the warning codes. It was suggested to re-calibrate
the touch screen. What does the community think?:confused: Thanks DR

well if'n it were me? NO

support-gone (manuals-CTN excluded)
parts- for how long?
have you gone thru it to check condition of transport rollers/reg assm?
are you going to supply an Industrial Surge ( ESP reduce power problems)?
have you checked power @ site? Is wall plug proper for unit?
net nearby?
WHAT type service or how far do they expect you to dig into it? (net probs)

I always do a site survey and complete eval/cleaning of ANY machine before I agree to service it. AGAIN .. just my feelings.

kingarthur
03-28-2019, 09:20 AM
If I remember correctly, this model counts the bars up...and not down, as the new models do...could be wrong though

copier addict
03-28-2019, 01:19 PM
Kingarthur is correct, this model fills up the bar from F, blank to E, filled in (full/empty). You can print the consumable list, it will tell you how many minutes of rotation on each unit.
Pressing the oil can does nothing on this model, you have to check counters in service mode to see problems (usually P codes).

jerrdog
03-28-2019, 05:03 PM
I can attest as a wholesaler, we have two in our system and one's an Oce version.

Probably what you'd find with most resellers...

copyman
03-28-2019, 05:41 PM
I still have around 10- 20 of these in operation. Think they should be good for a few more years. But I have a few part machines to use for parts. I can buy these from my wholesaler with 200k or less for $50 (if I had to). Maybe buy another machine and take consumables out, strip the parts off, etc and throw frame in trash. Then you would pretty much guarantee you could keep them going for 2-3 yrs.

On the machines I still have out there most all the IU's messages are at 1 bar left before empty when checking consumable life. When you set the IU's to No-Stop and turn off messages in service mode only thing that will happen is the life count black bars will get to last one and just stay there. Of course depending on the F/W you may get an annoying message that fills the screen and have to keep clearing, but it will print forever without forcing you to replace by locking out. Only time you replace is when there is a quality issue. I've had some IU's go 3 x's their life, Transfer belts (just fuse to reset), 2x's, Fusers (green fuse to reset) 2x's

blackcat4866
03-28-2019, 06:07 PM
You should do it as a short term rental. In that way, if it pukes some time in the next year you can just pull it out of the field in move it into the graveyard.

The ethical dilemma only comes up if you try to sell this dinosaur, and the first salesman that walks in will tell them how you're screwing them. =^..^=

copyman
03-29-2019, 01:46 AM
Good point by BC, but as long as the customer knows up front that if they only want to spend a certain amount of money then you can provide them with an "older" model that has a great reliability record. As long as you tell them up front it's "older" than when that salesperson comes in your customer will tell them you told them is was an older model. Plus have your customer ask what does that salesperson have that you can buy for $1,000 dollars. They will run away !!!!!

Desert Rat
03-29-2019, 10:31 PM
:)
Thank you everyone for your contributions. rrrohan, because of the dusty portable office of this landscape company, I though it better to place
an older machine. And yes Phil B I did a site survey and checked the power as I have had this customer for a few years. I always include a surge
suppressor with each machine I service.
Copyman, I'm very interested in those settings, if you could point me in the right direction to them I will look them up in the book. I think I have
both fuses, if not I can get them. I wish I had room for a couple of parts machines, haven't seen this model in the warehouse for awhile.
Black cat I like the idea of a rental. I will have to check with the customer to see if there is interest. They usually go the time and materials
way. But I can offer to give it to them after 1 year. What do think about, $150/mn plus 7.5 cents per image?
I 'm an indy and I have to be up front to keep from getting into trouble. If I do those settings and fuses, this machine should go another year.
It's a low usage placement. May be even pass my planned retirement of next year about this time.

Thanks again everyone

DR

blackcat4866
03-30-2019, 02:29 AM
:)
Black cat I like the idea of a rental. I will have to check with the customer to see if there is interest. They usually go the time and materials
way. But I can offer to give it to them after 1 year. What do think about, $150/mn plus 7.5 cents per image?

DR
Reasonable, fair, and profitable. It hits all the marks. =^..^=

copyman
03-30-2019, 03:23 AM
Hey desert, are you the admin for the Smarka offshoot tech site Smarpost? Wonder why that tech forum never took off, because of password? I was hoping it would work out because I loved smarka and at the time didn't use this site much. I tried posting several times and either never got one reply or maybe days later.

I registered here early and how I got "copyman" as user name but didn't start posting here until Smarka died.

tsbservice
03-30-2019, 07:37 AM
Off topic:

Aahh, good old beloved smarka. This was the first techs forum I found and register so many years before.
So simple, yet great. I see many familiar user names at CTN, mine is also from smarka' days.

blackcat4866
03-31-2019, 01:23 AM
There were drawbacks though:

Without passwords other members could post using your username, and write things that I found repugnant. That's when I stopped using Smarka. =^..^=

Desert Rat
04-02-2019, 02:33 AM
After I left the EKTA-Print world I started my own adventure.
And survived long enough to get started on the Japanese models. And had to get some resources, so
I also use to use smarka. I quite when all I got back were smart ass replies mocking my questions. But I did get some good advice
before it got hy jacked by the assholes.
I switched to Techsconnected under the name copydude. That was a great site. There was a server I could go and get svc manuals
when I needed them. Don't know why it went away. Hans may know he was also there. We brainstormed a bushing for an older
BH or Minolta model. It was a developer collar that wore out to often for my liking. I was also on copytech. Both boards have saved
my bacon more than a few times.

Thank you, to all the great techs that contribute to this knowledge base.

Together we have power.

DR

Desert Rat
04-02-2019, 02:38 AM
copyman,
Almost forgot to answer your question.
No I was not the admin at smarka. I have enough trouble with computers.

DR

copyman
04-02-2019, 01:24 PM
No not admin of smarka, there was a website called Smarpost that was an offshoot of smarka. It was around for a few years but now website won't load so probably the site was taken down for lack of support.

Custom Search