PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding 4 series fusers

Custom Search

copyman
03-29-2019, 01:56 AM
Just finished rebuilding my first 4 series fuser. Rebuilt C454 fuser with aftermarket parts (OEM not available). Operation was a success and working great! Was easier than I thought it would be and much easier then the C253 fuser. Put in new fuser belt & LFR. Belt is the same for all 224-454 but 454 has fatter roller. I first put a 224 LFR roller in thinking they were same, had to take apart and put the right roller in. Fortunately replacing the LFR is much easier and less has to be taken apart to change. $80 total to rebuild vs $700 for a new unit. It feels great to know they can be rebuilt. Saves the customer a lot of money while you still make a great profit!

NOT for the C554 which uses the C451/654 fuser design

rrrohan
03-29-2019, 02:07 AM
Just finished rebuilding my first 4 series fuser. Rebuilt C454 fuser with aftermarket parts (OEM not available). Operation was a success and working great! Was easier than I thought it would be and much easier then the C253 fuser. Put in new fuser belt & LFR. Belt is the same for all 224-454 but 454 has fatter roller. I first put a 224 LFR roller in thinking they were same, had to take apart and put the right roller in. Fortunately replacing the LFR is much easier and less has to be taken apart to change. $80 total to rebuild vs $700 for a new unit. It feels great to know they can be rebuilt. Saves the customer a lot of money while you still make a great profit!

Did it come with instructions or did you just wing it?
Who did you order through?
How long did it take and how long do you expect it to take now they you have done one?

thanks

copyman
03-29-2019, 02:23 AM
Did it come with instructions or did you just wing it?
Who did you order through?
How long did it take and how long do you expect it to take now they you have done one?

thanks

No instructions. Took a lot of pictures as I was taking apart but really didn't need. Just laid everything out in order as part was removed with the screws.

Bought both belt & LFR from Copylite.

Took around 2-3 hours first time, stopping to take pics, beers, etc. Think I can do it in about an hour and maybe even in customers office if the right type of office & customer. You need room to lay everything out in order.

By the way before this fuser was rebuilt it was leaving a repeat image from the belt, around 600k ran on it. LFR was ok but starting to get a few cuts in clear sleeve so just replaced it at same time.

Next one I do will make a video and post a link to watch it.

antone
03-29-2019, 02:47 AM
454e also....what after market parts did you use....vender?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

copyman
03-29-2019, 04:42 AM
Yes same for "E" & NON E versions.

I answered in post above where I bought them.

rrrohan
03-29-2019, 05:37 AM
stopping to take pics, beers, etc
haha

Next one I do will make a video and post a link to watch it.

that would be cool. i always end up stripping down machines way more than i need to then when you put it back together you realise half of the stuff you removed could of been left in place.

copiertec
03-29-2019, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the info and insight, very helpful. I have a question regarding the primary transfer unit I hope you can answer. Have you rebuilt one with a kit as opposed to buying the unit? If so, is it something that can be done in the field in about 20 mins or less?

copyman
03-29-2019, 01:33 PM
Yes I have used the aftermarket Transfer belts and blades and have rebuilt around 20 units. Works great! I have done in customers office in 15 mins. Trick is to use latex gloves so you don't have to worry about fingerprints on new belt while handling. If you try to be extra careful without gloves holding the edge, etc it never fails you end up crinkling the belt. With the gloves on you can hold it anywhere you want with a better grip. Other trick is put the roller & ends caps in place than insert springs on both side.

The transfer belt kit from Copylite does come with instructions.

tsbservice
03-29-2019, 08:13 PM
$80 total to rebuild vs $700 for a new unit.

Good news and Thanks for sharing.
I'm interested in how long this rebuild will last. Do you have one(rebuild) with good count on it?

copier addict
03-29-2019, 09:22 PM

The bearings are pretty iffy on the new fusers, do you replace any of them when you rebuild?

copyman
03-29-2019, 11:57 PM
Funny you mention the bearings copier addict. I was thinking the same thing.

The LFR use those small common bearings which I stole from a low meter FS534 parts finisher. They looked fine but replaced anyway.

The belt uses a foam roller on one side and heat roller with the standard bushing inside bearing setup. They also looked good but was going to replace anyway but nothing I had matched up with them. I'm sure they are probably used in other K/M fusers, etc but hard to find quickly without a part # available. If I find anything that matches up I will post. Will see how long they last.

Custom Search