PDA

View Full Version : Konica Minolta C450 Scan-to-Email

Custom Search

Timoteo82
02-07-2009, 02:57 AM
Hello-

I am setting up a scan to email for a Konica Minolta C450 and Konica Minolta bizhub 5510 copiers. I have real no background on this setup procedure and we would like to get these machines up and running for scan to email....

can anyone point me in the right direction as to what is needed to set this up? Are these machines only able to be used by a microsoft exchange server or can a free server be used like H Mail servers for Microsoft windows...

Any information will be greatly appreciated...

ramrui
02-07-2009, 06:13 AM
Are you using the standard controller???.:confused::confused:

Timoteo82
02-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Both have Fiery's

Taminol
02-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Both have Fiery's

With Fiery's you need to setup an email account on the actual email server as if the device is a new employee. They can work via Exchange and web based email.
Once you have set the email account up on the server, navigate via Internet Explorer to the ip address of the device.
You should find a Fiery Tools button somewhere on the left once the page loads.
Click fiery tools and setup all the normal POP3 stuff.
Oh, just in case you don't know, and assuming the Fiery password hasn't been changed, it's Fiery.1
Where you're done, power down the Fiery and then reboot.
Good luck

Timoteo82
02-07-2009, 08:54 PM
What if I didn't have the fiery? I notice the 5510 is asking for the fiery email address is this where I would put the email I made for the machine?

Taminol
02-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Do it all via the web browser and the Fiery Tools link. I have a "how to set up scanning guide with Fiery's"
Send me a PM and with your email, or come onto MSN and you can have a copy.
Cheers
Taminol

Timoteo82
02-07-2009, 09:14 PM
my email is timt@vbpinc.net really appreciate your help

Taminol
02-07-2009, 09:19 PM
On its way now :-)

PANG
02-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Can i have ' how to scan to email thro fiery' my email is jeg4719@gmail.com Thankyou

Taminol
02-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Can i have ' how to scan to email thro fiery' my email is jeg4719@gmail.com Thankyou

Done, you should have it waiting in your inbox :)

Morton & Associates
08-13-2009, 11:53 PM
Hello-
I am setting up a scan to email for a Konica Minolta C450 and Konica Minolta bizhub 5510 copiers. I have real no background on this setup procedure and we would like to get these machines up and running for scan to email....

can anyone point me in the right direction as to what is needed to set this up? Are these machines only able to be used by a microsoft exchange server or can a free server be used like H Mail servers for Microsoft windows...

Any information will be greatly appreciated...

One reason why a Bizhub will fail to send a scan via email - in some circumstances - (with the only error indicated by the machine is stated as "SERVER CONNECTION ERROR") - is shown below.

Note that Outlook will behave differently then a Bizhub - if you tell a Bizhub that SMTP authentication is required - and its not required - the Bizhub will only report back "SERVER CONNECTION ERROR." Outlook won't tell you there was an initial problem, but instead try to send the email without SMTP authentication - even if you provided a user name and password.

Quick solution

First change the Bizhub's settings to does not require outgoing SMTP authentication. If that fails, then try POP3 before SMTP.

If the required administrator's email account placed in the Bizhub's configuration does not require SMTP authentication to send an email via telnet - the Bizhub will error out with the message "Server Connection Error."

In the explanation below - I used Wireshark to sort out what the issue was.

The prerequisite for being able to use Wireshark (to find out what your make and model network scanner does when it sends the scans it does) is:

You have to be able to listen to the network traffic being sent by the bizhub.

If your network has a switch - you can't run the sniffer from any desk. Instead - you have to run the sniffer on or in between the scanner and a machine you tell the scanner to send its requests to directly.
Of course that means the machine has to be capable of acting as an email server.

If the network is on a hub - you can run Wireshark from any desk.

I ran Wireshark on a successful transmission through an Internal Email server I set up in Open SuSE Linux 11.1.

Ultimately I wanted to know why the Bizhub would not send its scans to an email account provided by our Internet Service Provider.

Once I figured this out - I decided to send the scans to our Internet service provider.

Once you understand what the requirements are for sending your scan to email - (And I have provided 1 both examples below) you can solve your problem by understanding its cause.

Wireshark is a network packet sniffer and analyzer. Assuming you know the IP number of the machine you are working on - you just have to run a capture in Wireshark - and then when you see a transmission that comes from your server - right click on it and select "Follow TCP stream"

When I did that in my situation, a sucessful transmission appeared as follows:

220 hostname.OurDomainName.com ESMTP Postfix

EHLO 192.168.0.1

250-hostname.OurDomainName.com
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN

AUTH LOGIN

334 xxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxx=

334 xxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxx=

235 2.7.0 Authentication successful

Now that I knew what a sucessful scan to email looked like - I set out to compare how our ISP's email account responded to the commands being sent to it by the Bizhub:

I connected to our company's outside email service provider's SMTP port with telnet - using the same IP number as our domain names' DNS registered IP number. I set out to replicate the Bizhubs commans I sniffed with Wireshark above. A guide on how to do this is provided in this link:

How to Send Email Using Telnet: 12 steps - wikiHow (http://www.wikihow.com/Send-Email-Using-Telnet)

Here is what happened:

telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 25

Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...

Connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

Escape character is '^]'.

220 OurDomainName.com

ESMTP

EHLO OURDOMAINNAME.COM

250-ourdomainname.com

250-PIPELINING

250-SIZE 10485760

250 8BITMIME

AUTH LOGIN

502 unimplemented (#5.5.1)

(At this point the Bizhub with only report: "SERVER CONNECTION ERROR"
which is patently misleading in our case.)

The 502 unimplimented means that you can't log in to access the SMTP services provided at his port.

I then recalled that I could change a seting in our multifunctional - authorization is not required to use SMTP.

I wanted to know if our ISP allowed this - or if it was a situation in which POP3 had to be authenticated first - then SMTP would be accessable. So, I tested to see if I could send an email without authentication:

MAIL FROM: James@OurDomainName.com (James@OurDomainName.com)

250 OK

RCPT TO; John@OurDomainName.com (John@OurDomainName.com)

DATA

354 go ahead

SUBJECT: This is a test
Email arrived at its intended destimation without a problem. SMTP authentication was not required.

When I changed the SMTP settings in the Bizhub to indicate that SMTP authentication was not required - it worked without a hitch.

Hope this helps.

But the botom line is that you need to know if the email account you selected as the Administrator account does or does not SMTP authentication - and if so, does it authenticate through POP3 prior or just SMTP.

Outlook won't give you all the answers you need.

kamikazi_pr
08-26-2009, 05:02 AM
Taminol do you still have the "how to set up scanning guide with Fiery's" will you send it to me? my email is carlos@kamikazifilms.com

Zioncsc
07-01-2010, 05:33 AM
Done, you should have it waiting in your inbox :)

currently i also facing this problem, can u have 1 as well?

email: cschoo@talisman-energy.com

Morton & Associates
09-15-2010, 09:20 PM
***Rewritten for clarity***

Just previous to when I wrote my original post, I took a series of steps to determine why our newly acquired Konica Minolta Bizhub 361 was unable to send scans to staff email accounts. In time, I discovered that the Bizhub 361 required that 1 I had entered in an administrative email account in its system. In addition to merely supplying an email account, the email account also had to be 1.)An authentic working email account and 2.) The Bizhub 361 needed to have its email settings configured so it was able to send emails with the administrative email account supplied.

The roadblock I ran into, and very likely everyone else in this thread is:

The Bizhub is unable to send emails with the administrative email account supplied.

It is unable to send the emails with the administrative account you supplied because:

The email authentication settings in your Bizhub differs from the authentication requirement implemented by your email service provider.

Email service providers can choose 1 of 3 types of authentication methodologies:

1. SMTP with authentication required
2. SMTP without authentication required
3. POP3 before SMTP

If:

1. Your email account (hosted at your email service provider's external server) chose to utilize #2 SMTP without authentication required...

but

2. Your Bizhub is configured to send emails with #1 "SMTP with authentication required" (as was my case) the bizhub will transmit the scan to the externally hosted email server and provide a user name and password, but will fail as follows:

220 OurDomainName.com
ESMTP
EHLO OURDOMAINNAME.COM
250-ourdomainname.com
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10485760
250 8BITMIME
AUTH LOGIN
502 unimplemented (#5.5.1)

However, the only message you will receive from the Bizhub is: "SERVER CONNECTION ERROR"

The result is that neither the Bizhub or Outlook will give you the answers you need. In fact both hide important detail that you do need.

If you tell a Bizhub that SMTP authentication is required - but it is not required by your external email service provider - then Bizhub will only report back "SERVER CONNECTION ERROR."

Outlook won't tell you there was an initial problem, but instead try to send the email without SMTP authentication - even if you provided a user name and password.

Note that Outlook behaves differently then your Bizhub. While the Bizhub will fail with an error message that lacks useful a description, Outlook will simply try a different authentication methodology without displaying any error messages.

Quick solution - Find out what authentication methodology your email service provider has implemented by process of elimination.

First change the Bizhub's settings to:

2. does not require SMTP authentication.

If that fails, then try:

3. POP3 before SMTP

If none of the 3 above work, you have another problem. Perhaps Bizhub's network settings have been misconfigured, or the administrative email account's user name or password is incorrect.

I've discussed everything you need to know up to this point. However - I have provided the following in case the methodology I used could be helpful in certain situations.

####The remainder of this post describes additional troubleshooting steps you can take to sort this out.####

***How to tell which of the three authentication methodologies your email service provider has implemented***

Since your Bizhub won't provide you with useful information to determine the cause of the problem, you have to find out why the failure is tasking place yourself.

I used Wireshark and Telnet to determine what the cause of the problem was.

Wireshark is a network packet sniffer. It is able to listen to the network traffic being sent by the Bizhub - that is - if you are able to run it on a computer that will pick up traffic sent by the Bizhub:

A.) If you are on a network that utilizes a switch - you have to run Wireshark in between the scanner and a machine you tell the scanner to send its requests to directly. Of course that means the machine you are running Wireshark on 1.) has to be capable of acting as an email server and 2.) the Bizhub is configured to receive an email from the Bizhub.

b.) If your network utilizes a hub - you can run Wireshark from any desk.

Once you start Wireshark, look for transmissions between your bizhub and the email server. Right click on one of them and select "Follow TCP stream."

A successful transmission of "SMTP with Authentication" appears as follows:

220 hostname.OurDomainName.com ESMTP Postfix
EHLO 192.168.0.1
250-hostname.OurDomainName.com
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN
AUTH LOGIN
334 xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxx=
334 xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx=
235 2.7.0 Authentication successful

Now that you know what a (successful scan to email) looks like - you can compare how your ISP's email account responds to the commands being sent to it by the Bizhub with telnet.

The next step involves connecting to your outside email service provider's SMTP port with telnet and replicating the actions the Bizhub took when it sent a scan to the internal server.

You can either use the same IP number as your outside email service provider's registered domain name's IP number or simply the domain name.

The following method is discussed here: How to Send Email Using Telnet: 12 steps - wikiHow

Open a terminal and type: telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 25

You should have the following responses:

220 OurDomainName.com
ESMTP
EHLO OURDOMAINNAME.COM
250-ourdomainname.com
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10485760
250 8BITMIME

At this point, I typed: AUTH LOGIN

the response was: 502 unimplemented (#5.5.1)

(At this point the Bizhub will only report: "SERVER CONNECTION ERROR"
which is patently misleading in our case.)

The "502 unimplemented" means that users can't log in to access the SMTP services provided at this port.

This means your external email service provider does not impliment #1 "SMTP with authentication" authentication methodology.

Which means that your external email service provider either implements #2 - "SMTP without authentication required" or #3 "POP3 before SMTP" authentication methodologies.

You can run a test to see if you can send an email without authentication while still connected by telnet:

MAIL FROM: You@yourDomainName.com

250 OK
RCPT TO; John@OurDomainName.com
DATA
354 go ahead
SUBJECT: This is a test

If the above email arrives at its intended destimation without a problem, you know that SMTP authentication was not required to send it.

After you have determined what authentication methodology your external email service provider has implemented - change the settings in your Bizhub accordingly and it should work without a problem.

The bottom line is that you need to know what authentication methodology your external email service provider has implemented (and therefore is required of) the Administrator email account (that you provided in the Bizhub's configuration settings). Specifically - does it use SMTP with authentication, SMTP without authentication or POP before SMTP. Once you know the authentication methodology requirements, you can change your Bizhub's settings accordingly.

I hope this helps

Custom Search