PDA

View Full Version : Clicking Noise - MX-3501N - FYI

Custom Search

Tech2002
04-26-2009, 04:32 AM
Had an issue with a clicking noise w/MX-3501n that wasn't the Fuser.

Went through checking everything that I could think of that might be causing the noise. This is after I had a Board issue with the FNX1. Got it swapped out and came to the customer with this issue. Even called on the elite Sharp Tech Line. They directed me to changing out the Main Motor and a costly and long hour repair.

Turned out to be the Black Developer Unit. It was there in front of me all the time but I never had this kind of issue w/this machine before. I was able to swap out a DV Unit with another machine and there it was - the fix was in. When I swapped the Units the noise disappeared.

I haved had DV go bad. I have had DV Units go bad in the past, but I never had one go like this. I wonder why a DV Unit would go bad in the first place?

Besides the Fuser issues I have had w/this Machine, it has been a pretty reliable system.

Hope this is good Information to anyone reading this.

OMD-227
04-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Yes, I have seen this a few times now, always on either the 3500 or 4500 series. All machines total counter over 750K.
The mag roller gets tight in the black dev tank/unit. I've had a few of the small drive belts on the dev tank/unit break as well.

You can tell the difference.... its a totally different noise. You can also see the print quality issue it creates on testpage sim64-01. CMY look great, K has an obvious problem. Each rotation of the mag roller, it pauses for a split second, giving a void area.

All MX dev tanks/units have held up great other than this issue. Been very happy with them and the dev inside them.... even more reliable.:)

Tech2002
04-26-2009, 01:24 PM
The mileage on this system is 235k. I did go to SIMMS 64-1 and saw the image quality on CMY being good and the Black - it wasn't solid. I explained this to Sharp Tech Support thinking they knew something more than me. I should have known that it was the DV Unit - but not having had the issue before I thought it had to be something else in the system. Dummy me.

labish
04-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Good to know. I had problems with a 6201 clicking noise from fuser unit the smart Sharp install bearings in direct contact with the heat roller and after a while the bearings dry out the grease inside. Sharp provide us with a bulletin and a spray for black roller bearings. Works for a while and after long weekend start again sometimes with a flat roller clanck. Finally I replaced those bearings and some noises go off is still one from something close to the fuser so I'm going to have fun with the dev. On the same machine a smart customer replaced toner and turn the bottle so the drive for it came out togheter with the spring. Easy to put back but very easy to come out.

OMD-227
04-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Hey labish.....

The black toner cartridge drive coupling has been modified to prevent it from coming detached. The new part number is NCPL-0084FCZ1. It clips on to the toner motor permanently, and cannot be removed unless you use a small flat-blade screwdriver. The same spring is used, just use this new coupling design. I have done this mod to nearly all of my C-Dragon's & Venus machines. Prevents mant F2-40's as well as the toner cartridge will not fail on rotations.

In regards to your noisy fuser, the problem would be your upper heat roller. The bulletin for the lower heat roller/bearings spray can be used for the upper roller as well. The issue is more to do with old age of the bearings. If the rollers in your machine have done near 300K, its time to replace both rollers complete. If you are getting flat-spots after a long weekend, you must not be running the latest firmware with a feature that rotates the fuser rollers at midnight. Leave the copier in sleep mode each night to prevent flat-spots. The copier will do what it needs to prevent the flat-spots. The noise will almost always be the fuser rollers in those models. Dont waste your time with the dev tank/unit unless you are sure. Run sim25-01 dev stir tio check noises in the dev tank/unit. run sim6-01 FUM to check fuser rotation noise when warmed up.

labish
04-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Thanx Wazza for info but the customer in this situation is a happy one. About 30 guys in one office you're half inside the machine and comes to check around you if is any printing ! Good job about the drive for toner bottle. I agree is time to replace not only fuser unit but we deal with parts budget harder than before. Thanx again for infos.

Custom Search