PDA

View Full Version : FS3900DN Jams

Custom Search

alastairb25
09-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Hi

I have a number of Kyocera printers, mainly 3900DN's. I find some of them work fine and only ever email alerts to say out of paper. One or two though will email on average once every 50 pages or so to say they have jammed.

Lifting the top cover and putting it back down causes the printer to print. I have spoken with Kyocera Support in the UK and they told me this is more a soft error, e.g. paper size etc and putting the cover back down tells the printer to print regardless.

Unfortunately the support line is very patchy and trying to get any answer to fix a problem has proved nihon impossible.

Swapping to the KPDL driver seems to help as did changing from MS TCP Printing to LPD, however I still get jams. I have also tried on the printers setting FRPO Auto Error Clear Y0 to 1.

The only other thing is that the printer that gives the most grief is around three years old, 88k prints so not a great deal. My others are newer and have newer firmware revision numbers.

TIA

Alastair

kyoceradude
09-23-2009, 12:11 PM
I suggest calling a Certified Kyocera tech and have the firmware updated along with the cassette feed system looked at. Chances are the firmware on your newer machines is also old. Should be 10.004

alastairb25
09-23-2009, 02:20 PM
System Firmware: 2F9_3000.007.003
Engine Firmware: 2F9_1000.008.002

I have swapped the tray with another working 3900 and the problem remains. I even went so far as to check paper specs and try different types of paper.

Paper types set to Plain and A4 using a PF310 also. I have compared the test prints and FRPO settings to make sure it matches one of my working 3900's but that did not help.

Is there anyway to debug the printer, find out what sensor it thinks is saying jam ?

Cheers
Alastair

bsm2
09-23-2009, 09:37 PM
try runing a event log thats should tell where in the printer its jaming

alastairb25
09-24-2009, 10:06 AM
E0.00.02.08.01.01
E0.00.01.08.01.01

This is for two printers I have that jam the most. They are both mid 2006 models.

Interestingly the other 3900's I have are newer and don`t say jam except when there really is one and none of there codes start E0.

Thanks Again

blackcat4866
09-24-2009, 03:37 PM
That jam code breaks down as such:
E0 - forced stop when an error occurs, such as a cover opening
00 - no jam location
01 or 02 - tray1 or tray2
08 - A4R paper size
01 - plain paper media type
01 - face down output

I would suspect something like a bad door interlock. I'll have to side with Gazoo on this one. An intermittent problem like this is not easy to track down. A professional will save you a lot of time. =^..^=

alastairb25
09-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Nice to know what it means, shame it does`nt give much away, any idea why Kyocera seem to force you down the Channel of dealers etc?

I used HP at a previous company and never had any of the kind of issues you get with Kyocera. Silly things like overlapping char's with KX Drivers etc, Kyocera would`nt say which one to use etc :mad:, perhaps im expecting a bit much just asking for one driver that works :)

I`d quite like to firmware them myself but seems I can`t get ahold of those files? I'm not keen on paying an external company some silly amount of money to flash it only to find it did`nt fix the problem.

It's same kind of thing with the codes, any chance of having a copy of them ?, its useful stuff but it seems like Kyocera regard them as the Crown Jewels ;);)

Cheers

Setright
09-25-2009, 08:54 AM
Just to be sure:

The back-stop in the cassette isn't broken or adjusted too far back?

alastairb25
09-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Yes good point, have seen that one, but afraid to say that's not the cause on these.

I have seen it before, quite easy done when people go to load paper !

blackcat4866
09-27-2009, 12:37 AM
Nice to know what it means, shame it does`nt give much away, any idea why Kyocera seem to force you down the Channel of dealers etc?

I used HP at a previous company and never had any of the kind of issues you get with Kyocera. Silly things like overlapping char's with KX Drivers etc, Kyocera would`nt say which one to use etc :mad:, perhaps im expecting a bit much just asking for one driver that works :)

I`d quite like to firmware them myself but seems I can`t get ahold of those files? I'm not keen on paying an external company some silly amount of money to flash it only to find it did`nt fix the problem.

It's same kind of thing with the codes, any chance of having a copy of them ?, its useful stuff but it seems like Kyocera regard them as the Crown Jewels ;);)

Cheers

I can usually let these things go. I hate speeches myself, but I have to this one time.

If you take a glance at the upper right corner of the screen you'll see "Copytechnet An Online Community for Copier, Printer, and Fax Technicians". Which one are you?

I like having a job. I think every professional technician here likes having a job. It's so much easier to pay the mortgage, support our families, etc. Most of us have put in many years of hard won experience to get where we're at right now. If you think that this is such an easy job, why do you need our help?

I don't mind helping endusers, but I am not going to train you from scratch, give you manuals, or hand over firmware. All these things have cost a considerable amount of money. They weren't free to me. Why should they be free to you? Are you special? Maybe you'd like to borrow my tools while you're at it?

You can purchase all the resources that I required to learn this job. Or you can pay for one hour of labor to a competent professional that has earned his reputation for as little as $150. It sounds like a bargain to me.

Please explain this to me, because I just don't understand. =^..^=

bsm2
09-27-2009, 02:15 AM
Lifting the top cover and putting it back down causes the printer to print.

sounds like its not feeding from cassette have you clean the feed tires?

peterepeat
09-27-2009, 06:31 AM
I'm with BlackCat on this one. I usually don't pay much mind when someone's looking for a free service call from here but to complain about it is a little much.
I'm gonna go to bat here for Kyo's in that they blow away mechanically anything HP can put out. The only thing HP has is name recognition & user certainty. User knows how to purchase by name & certainly knows how to place a service call cuz they are all hi maintenance. KYO's are not perfect but are far more durable & more flexible. The flexibility means there is a learning curve to them..... which means there is more to be learned of them....... which means there is also a price on that knowledge.....which means that no matter who you are, you don't have the right to bitch about what you don't know if you don't wanna pay for it.

Do you get paid for what you know that others don't? I'm gonna guess yes.

What's nuts is that you don't have a reason to bitch about the service cuz YOU ARE THE SERVICE!!!!!!

Cheers my ass.

HPLEXKYOPT
10-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Gday mate,

The 5th Gens normally cause this exact jam for the following reasons.

1. Between 60k - 80k pickup and feed rollers wear too smooth. Replace the rollers.
2. The top cover actuator becomes too sensitive, put a slight bend in the metal actuator, so it is engaged quicker when closing the top cover.
3. The tab underneath the fuser at the rear (metal tab). Bend it ever so slightly in towards the machine. When the machine fires up to start the print process, the friction from the gear starting pushes the fuser back slightly, the sensor can be too sensitive and for a fraction of a second disengage.

Worked on Kyocera for the last 7years.

Cheers.

madas
10-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Gday mate,

The 5th Gens normally cause this exact jam for the following reasons.

1. Between 60k - 80k pickup and feed rollers wear too smooth. Replace the rollers.
2. The top cover actuator becomes too sensitive, put a slight bend in the metal actuator, so it is engaged quicker when closing the top cover.
3. The tab underneath the fuser at the rear (metal tab). Bend it ever so slightly in towards the machine. When the machine fires up to start the print process, the friction from the gear starting pushes the fuser back slightly, the sensor can be too sensitive and for a fraction of a second disengage.

Worked on Kyocera for the last 7years.

Cheers.

as above but check/replace fuser door switch have had issues with those can be cleaned if contacts are dirty.
also make sure firmware is done as the timing for cover open detection was changed for this E0 jam error. also check the oneway bearing on the cassette feed. bearings may be slipping or the shaft worn, lightly sand smooth again replace roller. had all these problems.

taskalfaman
11-10-2009, 09:25 PM
if you update the engine version to the latest, the problem will be solved permanently!!!
I think in the eventlog you will see that you have probably JE0 a lot .
best regards

Custom Search