PDA

View Full Version : Biz Hub C203

Custom Search

Rob Sandberg
12-21-2009, 11:12 PM
My Boss just tried to setup a 12th email user on a bizhub C203.
It did not work.
He is a network/computer tech. I am a printer tech.:rolleyes:
Is there a reason 11 users will work and not the 12th?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Rob S

emujo
12-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Of course there is a reason...provide a little more info and maybe you can get a little help...

1. Who is providing the mail services..company exchange or 3rd party?
2. Are all 12 email accounts name@company.com, or are they all different extensions?
3. What is the exact message you see for the failure when you look in the job log?

Details..details..details!!!

Rob Sandberg
12-22-2009, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the reply

I will pass this on to the boss.
Remember he is a computer tech.....:D
Rob S

Stirton.M
12-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the reply

I will pass this on to the boss.
Remember he is a computer tech.....:D
Rob S

Emujo has a good point.

Some networks lock down their email servers to authorized users. This is most likely the case in your office. You can transmit scans to internal email addresses, but nothing external. For that, you need to scan something to yourself and forward it.

OR....

You can add the copier as a user on that domain.

Rob Sandberg
12-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks

But until the boss gets back to me I can't give any more details.

Rob S

Rob Sandberg
12-22-2009, 05:27 PM
The company has exchange.
All email accounts are of the format name.company.com
The job log shows logon error.

Should We have the copier company sent a tech?
I know them it is a good company.

Rob S

emujo
12-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Sounds simple, but double check the spelling for the email address that is not working. Also, the emails that are working, are they internal addresses? And is the email that's not working also internal or external? The MFP is reporting a login failure from the SMTP server. Can you set up a relay from the copier IP Address and test the send function? Emujo

Rob Sandberg
12-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks
I will forward this to the boss.

Rob S

Stirton.M
12-23-2009, 05:48 AM
The company has exchange.
All email accounts are of the format name.company.com
The job log shows logon error.

Should We have the copier company sent a tech?
I know them it is a good company.

Rob S

This was what I related earlier. In this case, the copier must become a member of your network.

Pretty simple really.

The name of the copier itself becomes a member of the exchange server. Basically, create an address on the exchange server that the copier uses already. Most of the time, when I set up a copier at a customer's location, the machine name is for example, BizhubC451. I use that same name in the email address of the machine itself, so bizhubc451@company.com. That address AND the name are used on the exchange server. A password can be set to secure it.

This also gives you the option to further the capabilities of the machine. Not only can it send emails, it can recieve email and print it out. In Admin, network settings, email settings, there are two communication options. Most of the time, TX (transmit) is used. The machine RX (receive) is usually turned off, but it is here you can enable that capability. Point to the address on the exchange server, along with the authentication information (name and password) and voila.

Rob Sandberg
12-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks

I will pass this on.

Rob S:)

Rob Sandberg
12-23-2009, 04:37 PM
This is a great discussion of how to set up the copier to send email, but the point is that the copier is ALREADY set up to send email as described, and it can successfully send email to 11 other users. The problem we are having is setting up a 12th user. That user appears to be set up identically to the other 11 but we get a logon error when we try to send to that user. We can send email to that user from any pc inside or outside the network with no problem, but the copier refuses. We are concerned that we have missed something obscure in the email address setup for that 12th user (can't imagine what, but that's why we posted...) or perhaps there is some sort of limit in this email capability. Thanks for any other suggestions you can offer.

George Hefter (Rob's Boss)

emujo
12-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Once the MFP is configured to send email and tested successfully (internal or external address) that is the end of it. You're getting a login failure message. This means that the MFP is handing off the mail to your exchange server and that server is providing the denial. The MFP does not care after the hand off. Like it or not, something on your side (not the MFP) is causing the issue. Once again, configure the exchange server to relay from the copier IP address and see if that makes any differance. By the way, you still haven't told us if you are using authentication or not. EMujo

Stirton.M
12-24-2009, 10:52 AM
You're getting a login failure message.

By the way, you still haven't told us if you are using authentication or not. EMujo

I agree.

What are the 11 other email addresses programed? Are they all internal to your organization? Such as

[/EMAIL]email1@company1.com (email1@company1.com)
email2@company1.com (email2@company1.com)
and so on up to
email11@company1.com (email11@company1.com)

Is the 12th one
[email]email12@company2.com

company2 being some other domain OUTSIDE your company? Are any of the other one touches to destinations outside your domain?

If the first 11 are internal and the 12th is not, then again...you have to add the copier as a user to the exchange server, OR, you can unsecure your exchange server and open it up to allow anyone to send anything through it, including any unscrupulous phreakers. The latter is certainly not the desirable way to go.

Rob Sandberg
12-24-2009, 05:28 PM
To finish addressing the above suggestions/questions, the email address we get the logon failure for is in the same internal company domain as all the rest of the successful email addresses (i.e. it is name12@company1,com, the others are name1@company1.com through name11@company1.com, and the printer is printer@company1.com).) The printer IS a user in our exchange organization, and we are NOT using authentication.

Based on everything offered here, it seems clear that the problem must be at our exchange server and we will continue to troubleshoot there. All who posted in response to our request have been helpful, gracious, and tolerant and we are grateful for the help in eliminating the copier as the possible source of this problem. Merry Christmas and a Happy and prosperous New Year to all of you.:)

Stirton.M
12-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Merry Christmas and a Happy and prosperous New Year to all of you.:)

Likewise to your sentiment.

Further diagnostics, if you have not tried them, is to review the job log, left panel.

When in the job log, you can see an assortment of tabs, each specific. Scan tab is the interest here. You will see a "current" and "job history" in there. From there, you can touch the specific jobs, in this case the one that failed. Touch the "Details" button on the lower right of the screen. You should see along the top of the details what kind of error is happening. Most of the time, this is self explanatory.

If you can, post that information.

Also, another way to see if there is something amiss....

You can log in to the copier via Pagescope web tool. Type the IP address of the copier in a web browser (IE seems to be the only one that works with Pagescope), login as administrator, and on the left side, you should see a button "import and export"

You can export the one touch list. Specifically export "just" the address list. If you export the entire thing, you will get a binary file. Just exporting the address list itself will allow you to view the text file. I recommend you open it in excel, using tab delimited format. This way, you will see all the information in a usable spreadsheet format. You may see the specific difference here, if any, and be able to correct it.

Another diagnostics is to scan using direct on the copier. From there, you can tap in an email address without storing it permanently to scan a file to.

Rob Sandberg
02-03-2010, 12:15 AM
We found the solution. It was a Windows Exchange 2007 issue.
http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/12/28/432013.aspx (http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/12/28/432013.aspx)

This is what my fellow tech found that fixed the problem.

Rob S

knpgazem
02-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Have you used the direct input option rather than the one-touch button?

One thing that has not been addressed in this thread is that occasionally an entry (or entry place) can become corrupt. If all the emails are similar (as above) and you have sucessfully tested the Direct Input option (instead of the one-touch button) using the email address in question, the fault lies in the one-touch button creation. Try using the 13th place or even 50th for that matter (use the web browser)

Rob Sandberg
02-03-2010, 10:25 PM
The problem was with MS exchange 2007 not the biz hub.
MS has put much more security.
The above link show how to fix the problem in Exchange.

Rob S

Custom Search