PDA

View Full Version : C550 shuts down

Custom Search

emujo
01-07-2010, 03:54 PM
C550 with 1.2 Mil copies (5% color). At ver R5 with GC1-22 for the P14 issues. All consumables are at less that %30 usage. MFP will turn off intermittantly. Customer must turn main power switch to off then back to on to restart. No error codes is history. I have disconnected all periphials, and HDD to find the culprit and nothing so far. When it runs, it runs fine. When the power problem starts it may shut down 10 times in a row before it will finally stay on. Powers up, blue and amber light on flatbed flash then power is gone. Main power LED on control panel remains lit. Customer thinks it happens more often after a large run..ie 500 copies then 2nd job starts and power shuts off. Any thoughts? EMujo

RRodgers
01-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Is it connected to a surge protector? I've had a box that would just constantly reboot. turned out to be the surge protector. Minus that, I'd look at the power supply.

Stirton.M
01-08-2010, 12:30 AM
C550 with 1.2 Mil copies (5% color). At ver R5 with GC1-22 for the P14 issues. All consumables are at less that %30 usage. MFP will turn off intermittantly. Customer must turn main power switch to off then back to on to restart. No error codes is history. I have disconnected all periphials, and HDD to find the culprit and nothing so far. When it runs, it runs fine. When the power problem starts it may shut down 10 times in a row before it will finally stay on. Powers up, blue and amber light on flatbed flash then power is gone. Main power LED on control panel remains lit. Customer thinks it happens more often after a large run..ie 500 copies then 2nd job starts and power shuts off. Any thoughts? EMujo

Get one of those phase testers....looks like a small plug with a few lights on it...shows whether or not hot and cold wires are mixed, or ground is mixed or not connected.

A more expensive tester is one of those line monitors that can record over a period of time the power quality...for example, abnormal low voltage condition for extended times.

Meter the outlet to see if the voltage is at 110-115. Any lower, and this is a strong indicator that power is insufficient.

Another thing to determine is what might be sharing power with the copier. These machines MUST be on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. Just adding a plug to accomodate the special connector to a line that is shared with other appliances is not enough. I've seen places that put a microwave, or shredder or fridge or another copier on the same circuit. Even in some cases, shared with a multitude of computers. Suffice to say that these will certainly cause problems.

Also, is there any construction going on in that building? Some tools will really wreak havoc on the power levels.

And of course, the must have for EVERY new copier these days is a power conditioner. Calgary has laid down the law to the sales department to ensure one is sold with every machine. Can't speak for other branches. The machine doesn't get out the door without one. Actually, our warehouse guys will not forward the order to corporate without a conditioner on the sales order. These things can solve many strange problems that can occur.

emujo
01-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Removed the surge suppressor, and tested the outlet with my plug in tester. I am leaning toward a machine problem because if it was simply a outlet issue, the MFP would restart when power was re-applied. In this issue, the main power switch is in the on position and must be cycled to restart MFP. Power supply should be here today and I will post any updates. Emujo

laserman06
01-09-2010, 01:51 PM
I am leaning toward a machine problem because if it was simply a outlet issue, the MFP would restart when power was re-applied. In this issue, the main power switch is in the on position and must be cycled to restart MFP. Power supply should be here today and I will post any updates. Emujo

Not necessarily, look at your boot up process in the theory manual. If I have seen the exact same problem on another machine. Installed a line monitor and within 24hours we had over 4000 hits. Customer had electrician come out and replace a faulty breaker that was arc. Once that happened machine worked great.

More than once I have replaced boards, power supplies and it was the electric. And then sometimes it was the power supplies and/or board.

All I am saying is always consider the power, it can cause these KM boxes to do some strange things. That said I have a motto that has been around for a long time. KISS=Keep it simple stupid. I do not know how many times that I have troubleshot a problem, torn the machine apart, spent hours on it, only to have another tech come and find the simple fix. Humble pie!

Sometimes you get the copier, and sometimes the copier gets you:D

Please let us know what you find.

pepper38_cnd
01-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Check your management list and see if you have a history of J2001 codes. There is a note on the SSD that says if not cleared wthin 20 seconds the machine will power itself off. If this is your case the sollution is

Replace the Paper feed/transport board (p/n A00J H002 06).

EmW
01-12-2010, 10:13 AM
I had a similar problem with a c451 when the machine went in to power save mode it would not wake up before you turn the main power off and on. In that case I had to replace the image processing board and scanner relay board.

Custom Search