PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub C-252, not SCANNING....

Custom Search

Oystercopy
01-30-2010, 12:49 PM
I don't know why there are so many obstacles when scanning on these boxes, but even though I put in the SAME SETTINGS on all of them, they only seem to be able to scan about 30% of the time.

I personally went out to the customer to set up the scanning. Set up an SMB box on her desktop, put in all the (I believe) correct line items in PageScope.. NOTHING... I thought it might still be antivirus, but the IT guy says he set it up correctly. Here is his text in his last email to me:

In the error details, it says server connection error, username “Scan” . I set up a network share from the server, gave full permissions to the user I created for the scanner. I have tried it with SMB and FTP, neither works. When I tried to user FTP, it never even connected to the FTP server.

Thanks in advance,
OC
(http://www.texasofficemachines.com/)

Oystercopy
01-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Oh, and since this is a USED machine and I wasn't the original dealer that set it up, I wondered if doing an "Initialization" in Tech Rep mode might help restore some setting that may have been from the previous network setup. Thanks...

mrwho
01-30-2010, 02:46 PM
When it fails when scanning to SMB, I'm not very surprised - I've had my share of problems. But if you're telling me you can't scan to FTP - which, in my opinion, is the simplest you can get - it's frankly very odd. So, if you don't mind, tell us the following:

- What FTP server are you using on the computer you're trying to scan to?
- Are the machine and computer configured with the same FTP port? (tipically 21)
- If the computer has a firewall installed, did you try to disable it temporarily to see if the scan goes through?
- At the machine side, are you inserting the computer name or the computer IP address as the scan destination?
- If you're using the computer name, don't forget to have the DNF fields configured on the network settings.
- Likewise, if the machine and the computer are on different subnets, don't forget to configure the gateway on both of them.

That's all I can think of right now. I'd suggest to try and make FTP scanning work first, since it should be the simplest one. After ftp is working right, then you can try other methods - my opinion, of course.

Cheers!

Stirton.M
01-30-2010, 08:25 PM
I always considered every colour machine since the C351/450 as extremely easy to set up scanning, especially SMB.

When I first plug a machine into a network, I always deliberately set it to DHCP first. In most cases, this usually obtains all the required network settings the machine needs to know for connectivity. After that, I set the IP address to the fixed address assigned it and leave the rest alone. Unless of course, the IT wants a different set of settings for the machine. Gateway and subnet differences can be a real pain in the ass.

I would say that there is either a firewall at work here or a domain controlled environment. The firewall can be software on the local machine or server, or it can be hardware (router) based. As mrwho pointed out, disable the firewall temporarily or place a temporary router in place of a hardware firewall.

Domain controlled is something that has been around since Server 2003. The server is preconfigured with user accounts. You turn on your computer and login under your name, it connects you to the domain controller and provides user privileges such as internet access, roaming profile, access to global shared resources including personal shared folders. It can also provide restrictions to users, such as installing new software, changing settings and so on. Hence the name Domain controller.

If the environment is domain controlled, the copier needs to be added as a user on this domain in order to make use of SMB and other network resources.

There may be other more advanced network issues at play here, though I doubt it. Check with the company's IT managers for information. In general, if I cannot get an SMB connection immediately after everything has been set up and verified as correct, the IT guys at the office are my first resource.

mrwho
01-30-2010, 08:29 PM
And, of course, the golden-grail of troubleshooting network-related issues: use your own laptop! Try it at the customer's workstation location (using the same network cable) to rule out troubles with the customer's computer; try it on a different network location to rule out troubles with the customer's workstation's network connection; and use it at the machine with a crossover cable to rule out problems with the machine setup. Even if it doesn't right out tell you what the problem is, at least it will help you to narrow it down!

Mr Spock
01-31-2010, 04:33 AM
On domain installs if the It guy does not want to set up scanning then I have him "share" a file and set up an account with full rights. Then I go to the machine
utlity/counter
>one touch registration
> new
> then set name to scan enter the id and password that was supplied
> on page 2 touch reference (this will browse the network) if it ask for user name and pass then use the supplied. If it ask again then the user name/password does not have rights. Otherwise just browse to computer/server and file then click ok.

Usually this is all that is needed but what I then do is go to a computer and ping the name of the computer/server having the share on it and change the one touch to use the ip instead of the name and do not have too many issues after that.

This is on the newer interface the old interface is still a little confusing and takes a little longer to do.

Custom Search