PDA

View Full Version : MP171SPF - Address Book Data Error

Custom Search

scoobysteve
03-31-2010, 02:58 AM
Hi All,

Very recently, I've started to get a few MP171SPFs that are throwing "Address Book Data Error" messages on the LCD. These machines have only been in the field for about 1-2mths. During this time, the address book works well until this problem occurs.

I've noticed that when this error is evident, if i try to access the address book via User Tools, I receive a SC819 on the LCD.

I've tried doing SP5-846-50 to initialise the address book (no HDD) but the error is still there after reboot.

I've noticed the MP171SPF do not run a print/scan SD card or any other card unless its PS or VM etc thus, there isnt a possibility of the SD card being in the wrong slot.

If anyone can shed some light on this problem, it would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Kind Regards,
Steve

teebee1234
03-31-2010, 03:26 AM
Have you tried reseating the memory dimm? Here are a few suggestions from the TSC site (these are for different models but should still pertain). This error pretty much points to the memory dimm as the culprit.
Kernel stop

[0696e]

B
Process error

https://global-ricoh.custhelp.com/rnt/rnw/img/enduser/img/to_top_arrow.gif (https://tscweb.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/tscweb.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=100425&p_created=1233735365&p_sid=W9X4RbYj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=1&p_lva=30074&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQ6MSZwX2dyaWRzb 3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTkwLDE5MCZwX3Byb2RzPTI1MTAsMjU xMSw2LDQ0NTAmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj00LjQ0NTAmcF9jdj0mc F9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3NjZl8 xMT00JnBfc2NmXzEyPX51c2VyX2FjY2Vzc34mcF9wYWdlPTQ%2 1&p_li=&p_topview=1#top)To Top (https://tscweb.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/tscweb.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=100425&p_created=1233735365&p_sid=W9X4RbYj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=1&p_lva=30074&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQ6MSZwX2dyaWRzb 3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTkwLDE5MCZwX3Byb2RzPTI1MTAsMjU xMSw2LDQ0NTAmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj00LjQ0NTAmcF9jdj0mc F9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3NjZl8 xMT00JnBfc2NmXzEyPX51c2VyX2FjY2Vzc34mcF9wYWdlPTQ%2 1&p_li=&p_topview=1#top)

System completely down
Defective RAM DIMM
Defective SD card in slot 1 (lowest slot)
Defective controller
Software error
1. Check and/or replace the RAM DIMM.
2. Check and/or replace the SD card in slot 1 (lowest slot).
3. Replace the controller.

Another...
[Problem]
SC819, unable to enter SP Mode, this normally occurs at set up.
[Cause]
On Board NIC Device Setting SP 5985-001 as been enabled (1 or 2) without added optional memory installed and/or recognized..
[Action]
1. Turn off the main power switch and disconnect the power supply cord.
2. Remove the controller board [1]

3. Install or reseat Memory Unit Type G 256MB [2] (B585 5130 PCB: DDR1-DIMM-32B: 256MB: Ass'y).

4. Connect the power supply cord and turn on the main power switch
5. Enter Copy SP Mode SP5985-001 and set it to 0.
6. Repeat steps 1 & 2 and remove the Memory Unit if not needed.

Another...
[Symptom] SC819 occurs.
SC819 occurs even when the VM card is not installed.
[Cause]
DIMM memory is faulty.
[Resolution]
Replace with DIMM 512M or 256M.

Yet another..
SYMPTOM:
SC819, SC820, SC870, or SC878 may occur if the main power switch is turned off after the MFP boots up and reaches the ready condition.
CAUSE:
When the machine reaches the Ready condition after boot-up, the operator turns off the main power switch without first pressing the operation switch. As a result, the NAND flash memory on the controller board can be damaged, triggering the SC.
SOLUTION:

1. Inform machine users that before turning the machine main power off:
• Make sure that the operation switch LED is not lit
• Make sure that the operation switch LED is not blinking
If the main power is turned off while the LED is still lit or blinking, damage may occur to the hard disk or memory.

NOTE: Cautionary notes explaining this point are already contained in the Operating Instructions (About this machine pg. 44) and on the decal next to the main power switch.

2. If the symptom is reported, replace the controller board.

anothertech
03-31-2010, 03:32 AM
Try reloading the firmware.

Are there any sub codes?

scoobysteve
03-31-2010, 07:44 AM
I have done firmware to the latest but without success. SMC report indicates SC-870 as well although no HDD present. Will try the above mentioned steps.

thanks guys.

Sashko
03-31-2010, 12:51 PM
I had two cases:
1 - address book error - solved by replacing the controller board;
2 - SC819 - solved by replacing DIMM module, see image below.

scoobysteve
04-04-2010, 04:30 AM
Hi,

Ricoh HQ tech support has been looking into this problem for me as well and I belived they changed the controller board as well, but without success. I might actually replace the DIMM first. I dont actually get a SC819 straight up on the operation panel- It is only once i go into user tools --> System Settings -->Admin Tools -->Address Book Management do i get the SC819 will show. ie, if i dont go into address book management, the SC code does not pop up however the Address book data error message is evident.

will update once i find out anything.

scoobysteve
04-09-2010, 06:54 AM
Looks like the Controller board it is...

houserman
05-31-2011, 07:09 AM
I tried all the methods but nothing worked except replacing controller board.

adonis see one
06-30-2011, 04:17 AM
Gents,

just to let you all know, this is a global issue (except for RJ as they do not sell the Stella range in the JDM), the fault lies in the FRAM chip on the controller board where the address book data is stored, unfortunately there is only one fix and that is to replace the controller board, this of course does not mean that the fault will not reoccur once replaced, the only way to avoid the problem from happening in the first place is to install the HDD option, as the address book is now not stored on the controller board.

A countermeasure will be released in July which consists of a controller board recovery SD card, but once again, this does not mean that once recovered it will not happen again, just saves the cost of another controller board. No word yet on a final fix, watch this space.....

NeoMatrix
06-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Hi,

Ricoh HQ tech support has been looking into this problem for me as well and I belived they changed the controller board as well, but without success. I might actually replace the DIMM first. I dont actually get a SC819 straight up on the operation panel- It is only once i go into user tools --> System Settings -->Admin Tools -->Address Book Management do i get the SC819 will show. ie, if i dont go into address book management, the SC code does not pop up however the Address book data error message is evident.

will update once i find out anything.

[Fault]
I have this exact problem today... Symptons include a full key board lockup.

[Cause]
Customer informed me of a complete power brown-out followed by a 2 hour power black-out with in the business complex.

[Solution]
Unplugged the dead hard drive and the machine is now working without a hard drive.
These hard drives are the slim line 80GB ones. I'm not sure if the AF1515 HDD can be use for a temporary fix.

I have a funny feeling about the controller board when I first went to inspected the machine.

Will keep the forum up to date.

PA5RR
07-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Reset scanner settings sp 5-846-09 it's odd but does help to get rid of adresbook data error. Don't you forget to set the scanner parameters again cause they are now default !

DiskCopy
07-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Hey Mr. Adonis, i´m having the same problem here, and with 06 - MP171SPF brand new machines.
Reloaded all the firmwares and the problem remained 20 days without happen, but in the 21st day after the firmware reload happened again.

The information that you have about the countermeasure are official from RICOH?

Thank you.

limo
08-25-2011, 10:09 AM
A new firmware has been released but i dont know if it is for prevention or if also is fixing the problem when is already happens.
Anyone has tried that?

ss12
08-25-2011, 11:34 AM
[Fault]
I have this exact problem today... Symptons include a full key board lockup.

[Cause]
Customer informed me of a complete power brown-out followed by a 2 hour power black-out with in the business complex.

[Solution]
Unplugged the dead hard drive and the machine is now working without a hard drive.
These hard drives are the slim line 80GB ones. I'm not sure if the AF1515 HDD can be use for a temporary fix.

I have a funny feeling about the controller board when I first went to inspected the machine.

Will keep the forum up to date.

I've had the same problem with the power blackout,also had to replace the controller pwb.it may be worth asking the customer if they've had any issues with the power

adonis see one
08-25-2011, 09:14 PM
The Fix

If the device is dsplaying the address book eror, then the SD recovery card needs to be used to get the machine back to a ready condition, now update the system/copy firmware to v1.03.

If the device is NOT displaying the address book error, then update the system/copy firmware to v1.03 o pevent the error from occurring.

If you do not have access to a recovery SD card and the device is displaying the address book error you will need to replace the controller board and then update the sysytem/copy firmware to v1.03.

limo
08-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Do you have more information about the recovery card.Is it a part or you must ask for it from Ricoh?

The v1.03 firmware in Europe was released only 3 days ago what about your place.

Regards

DiskCopy
08-26-2011, 03:52 PM
I´ll try this firmware 1.03 sooner as possible.

Moza
08-26-2011, 07:42 PM
just one point, although the MP171 doesn't have a HDD there is still a local address book as everyone has said on the controller. All I have ever done is SP 5846 047 (Initialise local address book) worked for me !

DiskCopy
08-26-2011, 08:01 PM
just one point, although the MP171 doesn't have a HDD there is still a local address book as everyone has said on the controller. All I have ever done is SP 5846 047 (Initialize local address book) worked for me !

Even when the machine does not have HDD, in some MP´s the problem stays permanently as Mr Adonis see one said.

In some machines you don´t even need do SP 5486 047 , just turn the machine ON/OFF and it will get back to work .

I´ve replaced 1 controller to solve the problem that was permanently. And I will update the firmware to try solve the other dozens machines, in that the problem is solved simply turning ON/OFF.

Not always the problem is caused because users forgot to press Main Power when turn-off , before press the Main Switch.

adonis see one
08-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Do you have more information about the recovery card.Is it a part or you must ask for it from Ricoh?

The v1.03 firmware in Europe was released only 3 days ago what about your place.

Regards

The recovery SD card is a special release from RCL and has been despatched to all regional HQ, they were then sent to local sales office globally to rectify issues in the field, the cards cannot be copied and are used to recover the controller board, the card is then removed and can be used again. The system/copy firmware v1.03 was released 17/08.

limo
08-29-2011, 07:11 AM
A new firmware for the MP201 related to the same problem

DiskCopy
08-30-2011, 12:34 AM
A new firmware for the MP201 related to the same problem

Very Good! I´m having this problem with MP201 too.

DiskCopy
11-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Okay,

After update MP201 Firmware System/Copy to 1.04 and MP171 Firmware System/Copy to 1.03 , still having aleatory "Addres Book Error" messages.

No one of this machines have Hard Disk.
The manual clearly makes reference to hard Disk (corrupted data) associated with this error.

I´ve never had this problem MP161 , even with users turning-off the switch and etc., ( more than 200 hundred machines installed)

I really believe this is a embedded problem with the MP171 and MP201 software. Is not acceptable that the machine have this kind of problem. And when it occurs you cant even log as Super-user , and have to turn-off/on to back to the normal condition.

Anyone have some news to solve this problem?

withnail
11-23-2011, 12:32 AM
A new firmware has been released but i dont know if it is for prevention or if also is fixing the problem when is already happens.
Anyone has tried that?

We have the Recovery SD Card that recovers the SC870 Address book Error saving replacement of the controller board. I have recovered plenty of machines and then loaded the latest firmware but the fault is still occuring. I believe Ricoh Japan are working on a permanent fix but so far we haven't seen it.

DiskCopy
11-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Hope is the last to die :(

I´ve tried to updated the firmware and did not fixed when the error is permanent. The solution for those was replace the controller board.

But, in other cases where the problem is not permanent :

Anyone had the permanent error after do updating the Firmware?

mrwho
02-15-2012, 12:00 PM
We have the Recovery SD Card that recovers the SC870 Address book Error saving replacement of the controller board. I have recovered plenty of machines and then loaded the latest firmware but the fault is still occuring. I believe Ricoh Japan are working on a permanent fix but so far we haven't seen it.

It's the third one we have with that problem that needs to get a new PCB. These machines are getting expensive. Our Ricoh rep also told me about that SD card, but he doesn't know how to order one.

My question is: Is this a regular SD with some sort of special firmware on it? Or is it a special SD card - and if so how can we order one?

Cheers!

adonis see one
02-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Hi,

the SD Card is not special, but the bootable recovery software that is on it cannot be copied on to another SD card. These cards cannot be ordered, they were allocated to each of the regional HQ's (RAC, RE, RA, RC) by RCL and from there dispatched to the local sales offices technical support division.

houserman
02-15-2012, 08:11 PM
So... if i'm not a ricoh representative then I won't ever receive an rescue SD card, right? How can I create an rescue SD card, can anyone help me, pls because I have more than 1000 machines ( 171SPF and 201 SPF). Thanks a lot!

DiskCopy
02-19-2012, 08:26 PM
So... if i'm not a ricoh representative then I won't ever receive an rescue SD card, right? How can I create an rescue SD card, can anyone help me, pls because I have more than 1000 machines ( 171SPF and 201 SPF). Thanks a lot!

You have to contact your Distributor/Reseller. Even if the machines are out of period covered by warranty.

wimps
09-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Hi there Troops

We have an SD recovery card here in Newzealand that was send over from Japan to solve this issue, it works as long as you follow the instruction to the "T", there are RTB`s out regarding this issue aswell!

Troops need to contact your supplier and get this card send out to yull!! IT WORKS!!! 30 seconds and the cuzzie is back up and running, the problem does not come back at all!

This card can not be copied as the software was written onto the SD Card itself and is protected, tried hacking it, as we wanted to make copies for all our dealers here aswell, no luck

Good luck Troops

mrwho
09-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Hi there Troops

We have an SD recovery card here in Newzealand that was send over from Japan to solve this issue, it works as long as you follow the instruction to the "T", there are RTB`s out regarding this issue aswell!

Troops need to contact your supplier and get this card send out to yull!! IT WORKS!!! 30 seconds and the cuzzie is back up and running, the problem does not come back at all!

This card can not be copied as the software was written onto the SD Card itself and is protected, tried hacking it, as we wanted to make copies for all our dealers here aswell, no luck

Good luck Troops

True, it works! We used it as well.

scot88
02-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Has anyone tried replacing the NV RAM to solve this problem?

DiskCopy
02-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Has anyone tried replacing the NV RAM to solve this problem?

I replaced and did not worked. I had to use SD Card Recovery in all the machines.

Custom Search