PDA

View Full Version : Ricoh Password Reset Help

Custom Search

Pages : [1] 2

bbisbe
05-03-2007, 02:27 AM
I have an Aficio 2232c, Is there a way to reset the password for this device? I have tried password from the web interface and telnet and no luck.

Thanks for any help.

Cipher
05-03-2007, 08:33 AM
SP7810 I think will do it.

bbisbe
05-03-2007, 04:21 PM
My apologies, but I don't understand what that means?

Tonerbomb
05-04-2007, 12:21 AM
I have an Aficio 2232c, Is there a way to reset the password for this device? I have tried password from the web interface and telnet and no luck.

Thanks for any help.
The default user should be "admin" and password is blank. If you want to reset the admin password for the web interface, sp mode 5801-11 should be the memory reset for the NCS. this should set the password to default. Don't play with any other memory resets if you are unfamiliar with the service modes!!!!! bad things will happen if your not carefull

bbisbe
05-04-2007, 12:34 AM
I apologize to keep stating my ignorance, but how do I get into the service mode to enter the code, or are there dip switches somwhere? I would assume from the touchpanel on the front of the copier because I do not have any web or telnet access, but I do not remember seeing any sort of maintenance interface on there (again I am sure it's my ignorance).

Scott_Lewis
05-04-2007, 02:19 AM

Thanks for any help.

This thread is a perfect example of the root of my frustration with this forum. I come here with hopes and come away with a little despair.

You have received a couple of answers to a pretty vague question. You want to reset 'the password'...... which one, there are at least three of them.... the service pw, admin pw, web admin pw, plus others that are obviously not what you are looking for.:confused:

Then you come back with how do you get into service mode..... this brings me to 'what are your qualifications'? Are you a Ricoh tech, a tech familiar with other brands, a user wishing to bypass using a qualified tech? :rolleyes: So, don't even know what level to talk at you at..... as a user, a service tech at least familiar with copier technology or an actual qualified Ricoh service tech.

Thanks for allowing me to get that off my chest.

Maybe you could tell us what the problem is you are trying to fix and what your qualifications are.

Scott

Cipher
05-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Yer I'm starting to think along the same lines as Scott is.
Entering service mode is basic entry level knowledge for a tech.

bbisbe
05-04-2007, 02:30 PM
I could not agree with you more on your rant. I am a network engineer (servers, routers, firewall's, switche's etc...). My company is downsizing and the "copier tech" we had on staff is no longer with us. We cannot hire anyone else and our IT budget is over spent to say the least. I have been tasked with making some basic changes that I can do through the web interface but no password and no documentation since the "copier tech" left. Also, if someone at the beginning of the post would have asked which password I wanted reset I may have been a little less vague but I did not know there were so many different passwords for the copier as I only deal with the web interface or telnet. So...I guess it would be the web admin password that I need reset to make the changes that I need to the copier (address book for scan to email, faxing, etc...).

Lance
05-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Yer I'm starting to think along the same lines as Scott is.
Entering service mode is basic entry level knowledge for a tech.

How about some sort of basic "pre-test" before someone could post to the site. Something like two or three multiple choice questions that would filter out non-techs.

If your a tech and want help or advice this could be a great place.
If your an end-user I will be more then happy to help with very basic advice. Anything more then that is $95.00 an hour. ( I have kids to feed)

Tonerbomb
05-05-2007, 03:05 AM
bbisbe the earlier post I left does have the correct default pw. I assumed that you new how to get to sp mode and execute the reset...my fault for assuming!! I do agree with my collegue's on the qualifications for this forum. Maybe if you could throw some connectivity info to the forum the forum will be more willing to assist you. Even though your not a copier tech you are working with the connected machine.. alittle tit for tat may help one of us and yourself !

Cipher
05-06-2007, 04:01 PM
It's not that I don't wish to help end users out.

But sometimes I do think it may not be such a good idea to give end users information past what can be located in the operators manual.

As ultimately it must be taking work away from some other tech else where.
We may also be helping support smaller cowboy outfits that use these types of forums because they have no official sources of support to fall back on.

So from now on I've decided I will not be sharing basic entry level information anymore and I will only reply to people that would appear to have a strong understanding about what they talking about already.

edgareddy
09-21-2007, 01:09 AM
I got this machine and I am having trouble resetting the password on the machine. I changed the controller nvram and the machine still asks for a password. Is there a way to fix this problem?

Cipher
09-21-2007, 08:35 AM
There are two NVRAM chips on these models.
One for the controller and one on the BICU.

But I think you should be able to clear all passwords on this model from service mode though.

SP7810-001 - Clears the machines access code.
SP5846-047 - Clears the address book and any user codes.

There are the various memory clears as well but I wouldn't really suggest playing around with those as they clear alot more than passwords.

edgareddy
09-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Hey Daz, this machine doesn,t have SP7810. I checked and can,t get it. Could you please confirm its not SP5810.

edgareddy
09-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Ok DaZ, I see the SP7810 in the Service Manual, but I can,t access it. Please can you let me know how to get into that SP mode. Thanx.

Cipher
09-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Try the SPP mode.

Hold down the '#' key when pressing 'Copy SP'.

jeffreyozz
09-21-2007, 05:11 PM
there were some models that came out with a default password as "password" no user name. Those with a web browser with a login button on the top right of the web browser, and those that came with a left pane button had a "admin" username with no password. Ricoh has since done away and kept the default "admin" username with no password. I am thinking that that model used the password default. I do agree with everyone else in this forum about qualifications though. I also agree with Tonerbomb and giving us some IT help when asked for. Keeps everyone on the up and up.

SGT_Snacks-64
10-08-2007, 05:58 PM
It wouldn't be such a good idea to assist end-users on entering Service Program mode, it only takes a little bit of tinkering with the values for all hell to break loose, as this gent doesn't have a copier engineer working with him anymore, reverting the settings could prove to be tricky.

SP Mode, best left to those qualified to do so.

joelio18
12-14-2007, 10:31 PM
I've gota say thanks; many of you have really helped me out in a pinch.

However, is it possible that many of us are being a bit "self important" by limiting who we help out. Come on, if settings are screwed up because of end user ineptness then obviously some service tech out there has to fix the problem... Besides, a copy tech can get the job done quicker (also correctly) and most users know that it doesn't pay to play with SM settings. On one occasion I even put an instruction sheet on how to clear a code in SM (damp church basement kept messing with a sensor).

I'm just saying it all works out in the end. There's already too much information out there to stop the flow. An intelligent person will call a tech to get the job done right.

I also gota say that there's a small minority of unscrupulous techs that charge for things that aren’t even broken! I have horror stories...

I appeal to the honest among us; in lieu of this sad reality let’s just spread a little more good than bad, a little more help than harm.

JustManuals
12-15-2007, 04:01 AM
You copier techs have it made. You get an error on a printer, you have to diagnose and actually FIX the problem before you can clear the error. With copiers, just enter the right code, and voila! you're off and running again.

Sheesh!

my .02 cents.

Paul@justmanuals.com

Scott_Lewis
12-29-2007, 02:45 AM
You copier techs have it made. You get an error on a printer, you have to diagnose and actually FIX the problem before you can clear the error. With copiers, just enter the right code, and voila! you're off and running again.

Sheesh!

my .02 cents.

Paul@justmanuals.com

I kept reading this thinking there was a smiley or 'wink' in there somewhere.

Paul, have to wonder if you even have a clue. :p

SGT_Snacks-64
12-29-2007, 09:22 AM

Unfortunatly not that simple... I wish

fausto1981
12-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Wow you guys are getting to serious for this. it wouldn't be a bad idea charging for the help i have a child that needs to be fed to but what the heck.

I am just going to throw this out there.

I don't know which password you want to change.
try using the web image monitor. go to a web browser like internet explorer, firefox what ever you like.

-Type the IP address of the MFP or the hostname.
- try to log in as admin if that doesn't work try using "supervisior"
this account would let you reset the admin admin password.

if not then you have to do what the other guys are telling you.
get into service mode clear mode 107 you know....

hope this helps

superfly
12-30-2007, 06:33 PM

Sheesh!

my .02 cents.

Paul@justmanuals.com
A printer is just 1/3 of a copier! :p SO NAAAAHH!!!

JustManuals
12-30-2007, 06:36 PM
Right you are!

Anders Nilsson
01-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Sometimes a "saying" tell's it all "Talking is silver silence is gold" or "it's better to be quiet and let everybody think you are an idiot rather than open your mouth and remove any dougth's", but some things are better of with experienced Tech's because the alternative is often very expensive
and a serious tech can distinguish the difference between "do it yourself" capability or "call somewone who is pay'ed to know".Help is sometime's
not the adequat word ,advice is better so excuse me if it sound's a little bit selfimportant but a good advice is sometime's the best and to follow a good advice is a virtue.Sorry if my language skill's aren't to good.
A

Scott_Lewis
01-19-2008, 05:03 AM
Sometimes a "saying" tell's it all ......... Sorry if my language skill's aren't to good.
A

Your English is a whole lot better than my Swedish.

But, what you had to say was golden.

servmgr2004
05-01-2008, 09:01 PM
You all have wasted sooo much time discussing a trivial matter. Answer the question or don't! Too many complaints...

black_bird
05-02-2008, 10:08 PM
connection to web image monitor, username is :supervisor, password: blank enter the login, once the change is old password;)

Scott_Lewis
05-03-2008, 02:36 AM
You all have wasted sooo much time discussing a trivial matter. Answer the question or don't! Too many complaints...

The question was answered long ago.

At this point we were having a little fun. And you -contributed-, HOW? Haven't seen a single post where you actually helped anyone else. So far its been all take or criticizing.:confused::confused:

lialdd
05-08-2008, 07:50 PM
This thread is the first Google result for "gestetner default password" and luckily I found my answer (no username, "password" for the password) but not after wading through 2 pages of unhelpful copier-tech elitism (sorry to forum residents.)

Sometimes we're intelligent people who just want a simple answer to a simple question. If a five-step process is really worth $95, then I'm working in the wrong industry. If it's not, please don't be a dick about it.

Also, give other techs some credit even if they're not experts in your particular field.

To hell with all of you
09-30-2008, 04:32 PM
The ONLY reason I registered for this useless forum was to say this:

You all need to get over yourselves. You have (obviously somewhat tech savvy) users looking for a little help. What do you do? You get all high and mighty about sharing your precious knowledge with us "mere" users.

If I screw something up, that's my problem and I'll have to pay to get it fixed. What harm does it do to help me reset the web interface Administrator Mode password? And no, it's not any of the defaults that I've located here or anywhere else. We acquired it the purchase of another company, so I have no idea what the previous (and now absent) administrator set it to.

iMind
09-30-2008, 05:09 PM

You all need to get over yourselves. You have (obviously somewhat tech savvy) users looking for a little help. What do you do? You get all high and mighty about sharing your precious knowledge with us "mere" users.

If I screw something up, that's my problem and I'll have to pay to get it fixed. What harm does it do to help me reset the web interface Administrator Mode password? And no, it's not any of the defaults that I've located here or anywhere else. We acquired it the purchase of another company, so I have no idea what the previous (and now absent) administrator set it to.Useless, hehehe... thats why you so pissed off, and came here to unstress yourself.
so boet, on my behalf just go and get f*cked.

To hell with all of you
09-30-2008, 05:24 PM
so boet, on my behalf just go and get f*cked.

You prove my point again.

iMind
09-30-2008, 05:42 PM
You prove my point again.I love you...

iMind
09-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Does your wife hit you with a broomstick, sounds like it. thats why you here because you to scared to go home. LOL

FMC
09-30-2008, 07:14 PM
The reason why the guy are reluctant to give out info involving SP modes is because, as was said before, you can cause alot of damage by not knowing what you are doing, and in-turn leave the guy who come to fix your mess an absolute nightmare in figuring out what the stupid customer did.

Fearless V K
09-30-2008, 08:51 PM

If I screw something up, that's my problem and I'll have to pay to get it fixed. What harm does it do to help me reset the web interface Administrator Mode password? And no, it's not any of the defaults that I've located here or anywhere else. We acquired it the purchase of another company, so I have no idea what the previous (and now absent) administrator set it to.

In your particular situation, there are only two ways I have been able to successfully reset a lost admin password.

1. Log into Web Image Monitor as username: supervisor, and leave the password field blank. Only newer machines have this 'back door' method of resetting the password.

2. If your machine does not have the supervisor login ability, and the Service Mode memory clear does not work, you will more than likely need to replace the copier's NVRAM.

(I have tried to reset the admin password before from the 'memory clear' SP modes mentioned in previous posts, and it did not work.)

Hopefully by providing this unselfish bit of tech help, I am taking the first critical steps in getting over myself.

skinnypuppy
09-30-2008, 09:33 PM
If you are talking about the Web interface password the service program mode to reset this 5-828-074

The password will then be deleted. And there will be no password. When the admin login window pops up leave both fields blank and click ok to login. Reset the password to what ever you like in security settings. Yes this does work!!

Lagonda
09-30-2008, 11:13 PM
I am a network engineer (servers, routers, firewall's, switche's etc...). My company is downsizing and the "copier tech" we had on staff is no longer with us. We cannot hire anyone else and our IT budget is over spent to say the least.

This is sweet revenge!!!!!! How many times has an IT wally changed the password then left the company and not told anyone else the new code leaving the poor bloody copier tech to hack his way in, something he was never trained for and definatly wont get any credit for!

lialdd
10-02-2008, 01:25 AM
Man, I just re-read this thread again... if I talked like this to noobs who ask me computer questions I'd be hunted down and shot for being such a jackass. Less commentary, more info. A disclaimer is all you need.

"Help me, the Internet is broken!"
"Hmm, works fine for me. Obviously must work for you since you're posting on it."
"No sorry, I'm not good with computers. I mean I can't send emails with Outlook, it says SMTP Server Not Available. Maybe I need to change my server?"
"LOL do you even know what an SMTP server is? Didn't think so. Try calling GeekSquad, at least they're qualified to be messing with settings like that."

... 20 posts later ...

"Yeah, some ISPs block SMTP traffic, so you need to change mail.yourcompany.com to mail.isp.com when you travel. Have a nice day!"
"Finally that worked, you unhelpful prick."
"LOL be grateful I stooped down to your level. Now do us all a favor and don't touch a computer 'til you get your A+ Certification."

Scott_Lewis
10-02-2008, 07:55 AM
I joined this forum for one primary reason..... purely selfish.... I was looking for help with servicing copiers. Very quickly I learned that I got more than a little satisfaction with helping out here and there.

Having been a participant of chat rooms on and off since somewhere around the mid 80's I don't write a lot just for the 'fun' of writing. The novelty wore off long ago. Thus I tend to limit my time on-line.

So, what little time I do spend here, I choose to help fellow techs for the most part. I already spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week helping clients. My spare time (like right now) I would prefer to spend helping and being helped by fellow techs.

This site is really a club for us techs. At least that is how I see it. How we choose to spend our time or choose to help is really up to each one of us. Any end user should feel priveledged to receive any helpful response while they are in OUR CLUBHOUSE.

that's my 2 cents........:D

E Winter
10-02-2008, 05:54 PM
I was looking after a "technician-only-board" like this for a long time. Finally a work mate gave me the hint to check out copytechnet and I'm glad that I've joined the club. There's nothing like this here in germany (at least nothing with more than just a few active users^^)

So yes - let's keep this for technicians only. As a matter of fact there are enough communites where end-users including some volunteering technicians are helping other end-users.

banginbishop
10-02-2008, 07:48 PM
If any one is in doubt of what this website is about then look under the main title is says:

An online community for copier, printer, and fax technicians.

Simple - If you don't agree with the above statement, make your own website up and devise your own rules.

suckis
10-02-2008, 10:29 PM
banginbishop, you mean this:

http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/images/misc/vbulletin3_logo_white.gif

Scott_Lewis, I absolutely agree with you in everything you said.

Well, I studied electronics and I work as a copier/fax/printer/scanner/lfp technician for about 7 years. There is one thing that I know for sure. Books (manuals as well) are made for all us and we have to read them. Operation manuals are for the users, service manuals are for the technicians. Manufacturers know much better than we know which passwords to include in operation manuals and which manuals to include in service manuals. They also manufacture machine so I can get a job and work. And if a friend of mine asked me for a "service" password I would prefare to go to his place to fix what he wants with no charge than tell him the "service" password because it's me that will be running finally to fix the prob.

We all have mouths to feed, we all want to help each other but we must be very carefull in what we say to users.

lialdd
10-09-2008, 09:49 PM
I just bought a service manual for my copier, so your club won't be bothered by my simple, innocent question. But next time I get a computer or network question from a copier tech, I'll make sure to exclude them from my computer-techs-only club and tell them to buy a Windows manual or something.

If you want a club for your buddies without noob interference, it might do you well to hide the boards and limit registrations. Until then enjoy your top-10 slot on Google for almost every copier question.

Point is, I'm a technician and chances are anyone asking a question on here is too. The true "users" who shouldnt be putting their hands inside a machine typically aren't comfortable Googling and asking questions on forums. I thought that technical people had a mutual respect for each other, but apparently that rule doesn't apply in this corner of the net.

FMC
10-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Do you hand out admininstrator passwords to your end users?

I very much doubt that you do, because if you did they would cause so much damage to your network, it would take a long time to fix it(if your lucky).This is exactly the same as handing engineer codes to end users on MFD's.

It's bad enough for me to try and get them from IT depts without a lot of hassle.

lialdd
10-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Do you hand out admininstrator passwords to your end users?

I very much doubt that you do, because if you did they would cause so much damage to your network, it would take a long time to fix it(if your lucky).This is exactly the same as handing engineer codes to end users on MFD's.

If my network's passwords were available in manufacturer service manuals and on the Internet, then yes I would do them the favor and let them know how to do it properly. "Clear, 107, Stop" is not a password or secret knowledge to be hoarded.

FMC
10-09-2008, 10:42 PM
If my network's passwords were available in manufacturer service manuals and on the Internet, then yes I would do them the favor and let them know how to do it properly. "Clear, 107, Stop" is not a password or secret knowledge to be hoarded.

OK then, can I have your admin passwords please.I wish to add some new software, then make a complete mess of it and get you to come in and fix it and expect you to know EXACTLY what I've done AND do it for free.

lialdd
10-09-2008, 10:50 PM
OK then, can I have your admin passwords please.I wish to add some new software, then make a complete mess of it and get you to come in and fix it and expect you to know EXACTLY what I've done AND do it for free.

I'm sorry, how is this analogous to resetting an admin password on a machine owned and controlled by the requester?

Here's how you reset your computer's BIOS password: Turn it off, unplug it from power, take off the side panel, find the battery on the motherboard and take it out. Wait 10 seconds, put everything back together and the password will be reset. You may need to reconfigure your BIOS if you had any special settings, and be careful inside the computer. Do it at your own risk-- if you mess it up you'll need to take it to GeekSquad, I won't be able to help you.

Was that so hard?

Custom Search