PDA

View Full Version : X12 and EX12 problems

Custom Search

GusG
05-12-2010, 06:37 AM
I just bought another DC12 that was locally available. This DC12 comes with a choice of an X12 or an EX12 RIP and neither seem to work.

I would obviously like to have the EX12 but when it's turned on it just beeps a few times and then either stops beeping or continues into one long beep. When I connect a monitor to it, it shows absolutely nothing. Any clues what's happening here?

The X12 is a bit more lively in that it goes through the normal boot up processes but when it gets to loading it just sits there and doesn't proceed to ready. If I try to "restore backup" the screen goes blank and it also just sits there doing nothing. Any clues on this one? I don't have the software for either but I do have a working X12 and I was wondering if cloning the hard disk on that one and putting that in the new one might be a solution?

Any help appreciated.

P.S. I've cross posted this to Xertech

johnner66
05-12-2010, 09:03 AM
for the ex 12 try the ram it seen to be ram fault takeout clean it n put it back n for the x12 is deu to the hd fault good luck

kandod
05-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Those beeps you speak of, are most probably BIOS fault beep codes that help identifying HW malfunctions. Check the motherboard BIOS manufacturer, find an appropriate code list for it in the Web, and locate the bad hardware.

GusG
05-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks guys, I may then try to clone my good X12 hdd onto a new drive and use that in the X12. I looked up the beeps (7 in a row, AMI BIOS) and they indicate a processor problem so now I'm looking around for an old PIII processor. Will update on progress.
Cheers

kandod
05-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Before buying new processor try the old one with another comp. Sometimes the problem is hidden elsewhere although it is signaled as a processor (or any other given component) malfunction.

GusG
05-14-2010, 06:30 AM
Before buying new processor try the old one with another comp. Sometimes the problem is hidden elsewhere although it is signaled as a processor (or any other given component) malfunction.
Actually, I tested it with another processor that came off a working machine and the problem was the same. The fan and the heavy cooling stuff on top of the processor had fallen off the processor and was loose so perhaps that has damaged the motherboard. I've got someone looking at it now.

GusG
06-10-2010, 12:50 PM
I sorted this by cloning the Hdd of my good X12 so now I have 2 working X12s.

My old X12 has 192MB RAM and the new one only had 64MB, so I found something resembling a computer with a motherboard and a Hdd on the back of my new DC12 which is disconnected (I assume that's a Cobra RIP), took out the 128MB RAM from there and dropped it in my new X12 and that worked so now it also has 192 MB. Does anyone know the maximum amount of RAM one can put in these?

Custom Search