PDA

View Full Version : Xerox 3040 copy quality background

Custom Search

jonbonse
05-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Hi all

I have a client with a Xerox 3040 which has bad background problem.

The whole page is covered in background.

I have checked the drum and cleaning blade and found the charge corona wires had been arcing so cleaning up free from toner.

Cleaned the erase lamp and detack free from toner.

I found spilt dev around the dev bias contact areas so i vacced that out free from dev.

The high voltage board had dev round the back of it also so vacced out what I could see.

The fuser assy is ok.

I have put back together and tested but this time the page was half covered in background, but then after 5 - 10 copies, the background is now only 2-3 inches from the edge of the copies.

I need to replace the drum as it is scorched so will replace the cleaning blade at the same time. I am going to replace the cahrge corona assy due to the arcing and the mag roller bushings to prevent future dev spillage.

The platen is scratched so that will be replaced.

The LED assy looks ok and the optics lamp is illuminating ok.

Is there anything else that can cause the background problem?

One more thing I noticed was when i was vaccing out the spilt dev in the left door assy, I kept getting a little electric shock from the rubber vac tube when It was touching the door! The machine was unplugged at the time.

Im wondering if I have got all the spilt dev from behind the High voltage board?

Any help is much appreciated!

xcopytech
05-15-2010, 01:48 PM
check erase lamp.

jonbonse
05-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks xcopytech

Which is the best way to test the erase lamp?

The erase lamp is on the xerographics module which is in the center of the machine. . . .therefore hard to see in operation. .

Thanks again

Ducttape n Glue
05-19-2010, 10:03 PM
you pretty much covered everything, change developer of course.

jonbonse
05-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Hi all

I am planning on replacing the erase lamp assy and dev.

The background has now gone from 2-3 inches to a 1/4 of the page!

Before I replace the erase lamp, I need to know one thing:

The tag chart states there is no Tag 30 and I know there is a difference in the erase lamp on a pre Tag 30 machine to a machine with Tag 30. . . .

Can anyone tell me if there is a physical difference?

In the manual it says to check the erase LAMP on a pre Tag 30 or check the erase LED's on a Tag 30

Im guessing on the pre Tag 30 the Erase assembly uses a Lamp and on a Tag 30 machine it uses LED's?

Can anyone tell me?

jonbonse
05-27-2010, 04:07 PM
The copier is now stating the toner is low but it is brand new!

The copier is not even in use due to the fault!

jonbonse
06-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.

I went back today to confirm the following:

Erase lamps working

Drum cleaning blade not cleaning on one side properly.

Dev assembly seems to be dropping small amounts of toner as it rotates just in front the whole length of the dev assy.

Toner spilt again on left side (near bias contact clip on dev assy) in front of drum.

Toner spillage onto transfer corotron assy (again).

Looks like I will need a new drum and cleaner assy.

Has anyone any ideas as to why the toner is dropping from the dev unit? I cant seem to find the dev blade listed in the parts manual.

Also the copier is asking to replace waste toner bottle randomly but it is actually empty and cannot see a sensor that measures the level of waste toner in the bottle to clean. . . . .

nmc172653
06-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Hi all

I have a client with a Xerox 3040 which has bad background problem.

The whole page is covered in background.

I have checked the drum and cleaning blade and found the charge corona wires had been arcing so cleaning up free from toner.

Cleaned the erase lamp and detack free from toner.

I found spilt dev around the dev bias contact areas so i vacced that out free from dev.

The high voltage board had dev round the back of it also so vacced out what I could see.

The fuser assy is ok.

I have put back together and tested but this time the page was half covered in background, but then after 5 - 10 copies, the background is now only 2-3 inches from the edge of the copies.

I need to replace the drum as it is scorched so will replace the cleaning blade at the same time. I am going to replace the cahrge corona assy due to the arcing and the mag roller bushings to prevent future dev spillage.

The platen is scratched so that will be replaced.

The LED assy looks ok and the optics lamp is illuminating ok.

Is there anything else that can cause the background problem?

One more thing I noticed was when i was vaccing out the spilt dev in the left door assy, I kept getting a little electric shock from the rubber vac tube when It was touching the door! The machine was unplugged at the time.

Im wondering if I have got all the spilt dev from behind the High voltage board?

Any help is much appreciated!

Did you clean AE sensor?

a.ghafari
06-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Hi

It seems machine is over tone. you can diagnose over tone by comparison the color of new develoer and the machine developer.

Custom Search