PDA

View Full Version : CF2002 - System Booting - please wait

Custom Search

CoastalKara
08-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Hi, we have a CF2002 obviously. Its scanning ability has become sporadic. When I turn on the controller, press utility and controller detail it seems to be stuck in the system booting phase. It was fine this AM, not so fine this afternoon.

Any thoughts on why this is happening and what I can do?

copytechman
08-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Likely hdd in fiery is on its last legs.. been there, done that!

Regards!
A.

CoastalKara
08-18-2010, 07:58 PM
Likely hdd in fiery is on its last legs.. been there, done that!

Regards!
A.

Can I do something about that, other than call a Tech?

JSC
08-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Can I do something about that, other than call a Tech?

copytechman is correct hard drive is on the way out in the Fiery. The hard drive is easy enough to replace, but you will need to reload the software whch will probably need a tech.

copytechman
08-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Yes not a fun job, (just did one on slightly newer but basically the same c350 box), requires the files (huge), the hdd, (not sure what kind goes in that particular fiery), and a special parallel cable... oh yes and LOTS of patience!

Regards!
A.

Edit: If its a cn3102 fiery then the system code alone is 551mb approx.. Just a fyi, I'd recommend calling a tech!

CoastalKara
08-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys, what kind of cost do you think I'm looking at to do that?

aesthetics1
08-18-2010, 11:39 PM
If your tech has any sense he should only be there a few minutes. We just use drive duplicators and keep 1-2 hard drives on hand with the fiery system software already loaded and patched. Otherwise you will see him hooking up the ol' parallel cable and writing the software for sometimes over an hour, plus the short time re-configuring it.

copytechman
08-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Jeez, hard to say, most generic hdds aren't a lot of $$$, even if it's a laptop type, however it's the time involved which can take a while. On a c350 we're talkin' several hours (of mostly waiting for it to download via the cable but still). Then, the fiery has to be reprogrammed with all of the settings it had (I hope you have a relatively current config page, makes it SO much quicker!). Largely depends on local tech rates.

Regards!
A.

Unless you have the fortune of having a tech like the previous poster! (edit!)

Stirton.M
08-19-2010, 12:25 AM
Jeez, hard to say, most generic hdds aren't a lot of $$$, even if it's a laptop type, however it's the time involved which can take a while. On a c350 we're talkin' several hours (of mostly waiting for it to download via the cable but still). Then, the fiery has to be reprogrammed with all of the settings it had (I hope you have a relatively current config page, makes it SO much quicker!). Largely depends on local tech rates.

Regards!
A.

Unless you have the fortune of having a tech like the previous poster! (edit!)

Copytechman, I am assuming you are using the old method of sending system code via parallel by way of how much time it takes you, several hours, sounds to me that you are not using the parallel port utility. Use of the port utility greatly speeds up the time to copy system over to about an hour. If you are not familiar with that software, here is a link from KM Canada that you can download this utility. It includes a PDF with instructions on how to use this program. http://207.194.48.151/intranet2/download.php?sess=0&id=3500&parent=2036&binary=1 (should be the direct link to the file)

And as aesthetics1 mentioned, we also clone our disks ahead of time, or at the very least, keep a cloned image on hand. Ghost works well, but Acronis is even better. I can restore a cloned image in about half an hour to a new hard disk. The rest is standard fair regarding configuring user settings.

Stirton.M
08-19-2010, 12:28 AM
My office charges a flat rate of $300 Cdn for a complete restoration of a failed fiery hard drive. This includes the cost of the drive plus a couple hours or so doing the image transfer, configuration and final testing. A warranty for 60 days is included.

copytechman
08-19-2010, 01:08 AM
Thx for that, I do recall that but @ the time had neither the time (or perhaps the patience) to try to find it again since the # of times i've had to do a system restore are typically far and few between so basically I sucked it up and did it the old fashioned way (cust's on a contract regardless). Maybe next time (if I remember @ the time) I've try the new method again! Thanks again! Oh yeah, does it work with windows 7? I've long since stopped using windows xp.

A.

Stirton.M
08-19-2010, 02:05 AM
Hmmmm....I would assume it would work with windows 7 32 bit...(64 bit may not work, it installs a 32 bit driver)...though truth be told, I haven't used it in some time. I use a netbook for work these days, and those do not sport a parallel port. This was pretty much the reason I started using imaging software...I can use a universal HDD adaptor (it can handle IDE PATA and SATA in both 2.5 and 3.5 drive sizes) that plugs in to the USB...

Depending on the power of your laptop/workstation, you might be able to run a virtual XP desktop and use this software to do the deed that way. MS provides this free for pro and ultimate versions of 7.

Another alternative is to use one of the many WinPE type CDs out there, though I cannot say if you would be able to install the PP software within such an environment. Or a bootable thumb drive with Win98 DOS, and the software unpacked on that drive, along with a suitable path statement in autoexec.bat to point to it when you call the file. Since it is a DOS based program, there is no reason it would not work in a native DOS environment.

copytechman
08-19-2010, 02:11 AM
Again thx, but all things considered and the fact that I might "maybe" have 3 live x3e's left.. not sure if it's worth the w98 bother etc, my laptop has a parallel and serial port so thats not an issue. For the number of times (to date - 2) that it's happened.. I think I can stick it out if the fast driver doesn't work!

Regards!
A.

Stirton.M
08-19-2010, 03:29 AM
Ya, I agree. We are in a similar situation. In fact, I think we only have two of those X3e boxes out in the field. We've written off a couple others and use those as spares. If one in the field goes south, we just take the one in the shop and do a swap of the whole fiery. A few minutes to program the user settings and we are done.

By the by, it is also advantageous to create images of newer series fiery's. I have versions 1,2 and 3 for the IC 303/305, versions 1 and 2 for the IC 408 and so forth on my laptop. As fast as it may be doing a network port system restore on the IC 408, or the DVDROM on an IC 303 it takes me roughly a half hour to install system, and that includes popping the cover on the machine and ponying up my USB adapter to it. The alternative usually an hour and some before you can have a running OS. The images were also pre-patched before I created them, so a lot of time is saved when doing any new updates. I have yet to deal with any of the office machine fierys found on the C451 series and so forth. But eventually I will have to do those and I will create new images for those machines. In the print shops, they appreciate the significantly reduced downtime.

Chromatik
08-19-2010, 04:02 AM
Ya, I agree. We are in a similar situation. In fact, I think we only have two of those X3e boxes out in the field. We've written off a couple others and use those as spares. If one in the field goes south, we just take the one in the shop and do a swap of the whole fiery. A few minutes to program the user settings and we are done.

By the by, it is also advantageous to create images of newer series fiery's. I have versions 1,2 and 3 for the IC 303/305, versions 1 and 2 for the IC 408 and so forth on my laptop. As fast as it may be doing a network port system restore on the IC 408, or the DVDROM on an IC 303 it takes me roughly a half hour to install system, and that includes popping the cover on the machine and ponying up my USB adapter to it. The alternative usually an hour and some before you can have a running OS. The images were also pre-patched before I created them, so a lot of time is saved when doing any new updates. I have yet to deal with any of the office machine fierys found on the C451 series and so forth. But eventually I will have to do those and I will create new images for those machines. In the print shops, they appreciate the significantly reduced downtime.

This guy really does incredible things !!!!!

ESA
08-19-2010, 05:32 AM
Fiery system loads are pretty straight forward it's the time that's a killer. If the drive hasn't self destructed you can create a drive mirror and make an exact dupe. I have done this when I started to see the tell, tell signs. Having a backup is always good. System booting message is never good.

aesthetics1
08-19-2010, 04:14 PM
We're in a similar situation with the CF2002/K8020/etc machines (trying to eliminate them from the field for printing/scanning purposes.) They just aren't very stable.

As stirton said, acronis works great. I tried ghost and had mixed results.

I'm in the same situation - I have a netbook for all of my field work and of course they stopped adding parallel ports to laptops a while back, and a netbook is no exception. We tried using a usb to parallel converter cable but it is very shoddy. I believe the issue is that the device is not "on" early enough to start sending the boot.efi file over. This forced us to stop being lazy and start creating and carrying the images around. Good stuff.

CoastalKara
09-09-2010, 05:29 PM
My office charges a flat rate of $300 Cdn for a complete restoration of a failed fiery hard drive. This includes the cost of the drive plus a couple hours or so doing the image transfer, configuration and final testing. A warranty for 60 days is included.

Any chance I could buy one of those from you? Since software is preloaded, do I just have to pop it in?

I've had a Minolta tech working on this stupid thing for what seems like 2 weeks now, hours of trying to reload software. After 2 days of "reloading" he finally admitted yesterday my harddrive is most likely shot. I told him that when he showed up!

aesthetics1
09-09-2010, 05:53 PM
The tech will still need to load the fiery software onto the hard drive after you purchase it. You can pick up a variety of hard drives that will work for less than 80 dollars online. I'm not sure what type of maintenance agreement you are on with the company you are with.. We normally include that in our maintenance package.

CoastalKara
09-09-2010, 06:06 PM
I'm not on an maintenance agreement. Do I just google CF2002 fiery harddrive? Not sure what I would look for to get the right one. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

aesthetics1
09-09-2010, 07:41 PM
You will certainly need a technician to install the software. All of the software is only available to techs through konica minolta. Here's a link to a hard drive that will work but you will still need a tech to install it!..

Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD800BEVE 80GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" ATA-6 Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136129)

CoastalKara
09-09-2010, 08:19 PM
You will certainly need a technician to install the software. All of the software is only available to techs through konica minolta. Here's a link to a hard drive that will work but you will still need a tech to install it!..

Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD800BEVE 80GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" ATA-6 Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136129)

Thank you so much for that link. I appreciate all your input.

Stirton.M
09-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Sorry, I do not sell these myself, even through our office. Simply policy of the company.

Contact your local KM for support information. As previously stated, you will need system code reinstalled along with the new hard disk. This is best done by a qualified technician.

Custom Search