PDA

View Full Version : C451 doesn't accept preset non standard sizes in trays

Custom Search

primozks
09-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Fiery controller has some preset sizes in drop down menu list, which can be linked to trays as source.
For example:
Paper size 220x330 mm can be selected as predefined size, and linked to tray 2.
But when I put paper this size in tray 2, it doesn't recognise the paper size nor allows me to enter the size of paper myself. The only option left is to use bypass tray, which accepts only 150 sheets of paper.
I have to print a lot of A4 pages with bleeds, so this size would be perfect to print on.

primozks
09-01-2010, 04:24 PM
What I ment is, if there is a solution for this in some newer firmware. Could anybody with same printer please check it?
Thanks

Stirton.M
09-02-2010, 06:08 PM
What is the current firmware level of your machine? You can find this on the configuration sheet printed from the user area of the control panel, or through tech rep.

Also, tray one and two should have the same available settings as the bypass tray. The only setting not available to these trays is thick 4.

See attached user guide extraction for instructions on how to use.

primozks
09-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Attached is pdf from rom verison screen.
The same procedure as described in your PDF works only for bypass tray not for Tray 1 or 2.
When I put the paper in one of these trays the printer suggests the size, which is usually larger than the one I loaded.
For example:
When I put in 220x330 mm it suggests B4 which is quite larger and also it counts two copies when printed. As I pay to KM per copy it is quite important to me that the size is smaller than 350 mm, which is the limit for one copy counter limit.
If there is firmware update, which allows custom paper settings for tray 1or2, please let me know.

Mercutio Norway
09-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Primozks

If you read the PDF Stirton attached earlier, you'll see that on page 6-15 and 6-16 it is described how you program the tray (1 and 2) to accept custom sized paper. I believe that this feature is ok in any firmware versions, but I might be wrong here, and this feature has been available on all KM models for some time now. Just tell the tray that you're using custom sized paper, and not to determine paper size automtically :)
Hope this helps...

Stirton.M
09-03-2010, 09:44 AM
The following is an edit:

Just looking at the instruction pdf I posted a little closer, I noticed it refers to the bypass tray there. Using the same instructions, you should be able to select tray 1 or tray 2 in the same way and set the custom paper size.

the following the original post....

Ok...well, from my perspective, your firmware does not match any baseline firmwares I can see on my support page. Special firmware listed on my support site indicates a version 88 there however. The bad news is, that firmware is quite out of date. Early 2008. Current firmware at baseline is version R6, released summer last year, with an assortment of special firmware levels based on R6, GS2-R6 being released just last month.

Much of that is likely gibberish to you? I dunno. In any event, you should bring the firmware up to at least R6. Contact a KM service tech to do this update for you for your specific region.

Now, there is nothing specific on the TSB for this series machine regarding custom paper size settings on the main control panel. You should be able to set a custom size in the tray. I will have to admit that you are limited on the positions for the length, in that the guide itself locks into preset sizes. But you should still be able to override that setting on the control panel directly. I've never worked on any of our machines with version 88 firmware, all of ours came with version 6M or J8 from factory, so your problem may very well be firmware.

Regardless, you should get the firmware updated and at that time have the visiting tech take a look at the custom paper size settings for tray 1 and 2.

Stirton.M
09-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Primozks

If you read the PDF Stirton attached earlier, you'll see that on page 6-15 and 6-16 it is described how you program the tray (1 and 2) to accept custom sized paper. I believe that this feature is ok in any firmware versions, but I might be wrong here, and this feature has been available on all KM models for some time now. Just tell the tray that you're using custom sized paper, and not to determine paper size automtically :)
Hope this helps...

That was my thought too...that he should be able to do that setting regardless of the firmware level. But the firmware he has is so old, I cannot say this for certain either, aside from knowing that previous generations of KM hardware could do this. I cannot find a G00-88 variant of the firmware on the support site.

There was some mention of the PCL driver messing with custom paper size, but that was on the computer side of the equation. Use of the PS driver was a fix.

primozks
09-03-2010, 09:51 AM
On page 6-15 speciffically says Select button for the bypass tray above second picture. The same as on my printer. When I select tray 1 or tray2 custom size is greyed out.
Trays have some self measuring system. When you move the side guides or back guide onto different positions (side guides have movement for approx. 5mm steps, back guide has less options. So I thought that for each position of the gides there should be equivalent setting in the paper size menu. But often there is just ??? on the screen when you press auto detect. I can't enter any of those sizes, also I can't select wide paper which is correctly defined in the procedure of defining wide papers.
There is also another problem with defining wide papers.
When I define it as 220 x 330mm (A4 wide), the Fiery printer driver defines it as 210 x 297 mm and can't be changed even if the two way comunnication is enabled. I taught that the size would be updated the same way as color settings are in expert color menu. Will try to define wide papers on printer, restart the whole thing, then I'll se if it works.

primozks
09-03-2010, 10:01 AM
The following is an edit:

Just looking at the instruction pdf I posted a little closer, I noticed it refers to the bypass tray there. Using the same instructions, you should be able to select tray 1 or tray 2 in the same way and set the custom paper size.

the following the original post....

Ok...well, from my perspective, your firmware does not match any baseline firmwares I can see on my support page. Special firmware listed on my support site indicates a version 88 there however. The bad news is, that firmware is quite out of date. Early 2008. Current firmware at baseline is version R6, released summer last year, with an assortment of special firmware levels based on R6, GS2-R6 being released just last month.

Much of that is likely gibberish to you? I dunno. In any event, you should bring the firmware up to at least R6. Contact a KM service tech to do this update for you for your specific region.

Now, there is nothing specific on the TSB for this series machine regarding custom paper size settings on the main control panel. You should be able to set a custom size in the tray. I will have to admit that you are limited on the positions for the length, in that the guide itself locks into preset sizes. But you should still be able to override that setting on the control panel directly. I've never worked on any of our machines with version 88 firmware, all of ours came with version 6M or J8 from factory, so your problem may very well be firmware.

Regardless, you should get the firmware updated and at that time have the visiting tech take a look at the custom paper size settings for tray 1 and 2.

I bought this machine in may 2008, and I'm a little pissed off, because I'm payig 20 EUR/month for "keeping the machine updated" to KM. No one showed up here in that time. Thanks for all infos, will call KM imediatelly.

Stirton.M
09-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Well, truth be told, you should not be upset that the firmware was not updated in all that time.

Though I am not of this mindset, in that some techs prefer to only update the firmware if an established issue arises, I cannot fault them for not doing an update. If most of your problems on the machine over these two years and some was just basic maintenance and consumable replacements, then firmware never enters the picture. But if you had an ongoing function issue such as this and it was never resolved over that period and firmware could have fixed it...this is a different matter all together.

Thinking closely about your problem, I cannot say if I ever tried doing custom size out of trays 1 and 2. Taking for granted, as Mercutio Norway pointed out,previous hardware was capable of this.

Perhaps someone else can try to recreate this on their machine. I would myself, but currently I am taking a holiday for a couple weeks to "try and use up" my holidays for this year.

And as for firmware updates, G00-R6 is baseline and typically is the furthest you should go. The newest,special firmware GS2-R6, allows the tech to turn off toner low and replace IU warnings. Other special firmware levels are for specific problems that may not apply to your needs.

primozks
09-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Another question, before I call KM.
Is x3eTY-86BM ver 1.01 with online updates latest or is there something newer? (talking about IC-409 fiery). If they need 2 years for that, maybe it's the same at Fiery part. :)

Asking just for compatibility issues. (mentioned before). Otherways I'm very satisified with this machine. Color calibration is perfect, doesn't match Inkjet proofer, but close enough for naked eye comparisation.

primozks
09-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Well, truth be told, you should not be upset that the firmware was not updated in all that time.

Though I am not of this mindset, in that some techs prefer to only update the firmware if an established issue arises, I cannot fault them for not doing an update. If most of your problems on the machine over these two years and some was just basic maintenance and consumable replacements, then firmware never enters the picture. But if you had an ongoing function issue such as this and it was never resolved over that period and firmware could have fixed it...this is a different matter all together.

Thinking closely about your problem, I cannot say if I ever tried doing custom size out of trays 1 and 2. Taking for granted, as Mercutio Norway pointed out,previous hardware was capable of this.

Perhaps someone else can try to recreate this on their machine. I would myself, but currently I am taking a holiday for a couple weeks to "try and use up" my holidays for this year.

And as for firmware updates, G00-R6 is baseline and typically is the furthest you should go. The newest,special firmware GS2-R6, allows the tech to turn off toner low and replace IU warnings. Other special firmware levels are for specific problems that may not apply to your needs.

I'm not sooo upset.
But when I bought the machine the 20EUR/month "update fee" was optional and if I pay for something like that there should be some consideration from KM side if the firmware is needed. I believe there is list of updates, and if some update has new options which can be helpful at everydays work it should be installed. I have no problem with workarounds, using bypass tray or something similar, but if there is a new option why wouldn't I use it?

Stirton.M
09-03-2010, 10:42 AM
No, that fiery is as up to date as it can get, system code wise.

However, it may not be up to date patch wise. You can do this yourself, first check to see if you need them by printing out a configuration page from the fiery. If you only get two pages, no patches were applied. If you get three or more, then patches are actively being applied and will be reflected on the pages following the first two. If no patches have been applied, the following should help you resolve this.

if you are familiar with remote desktop, the fiery has this ability.

On your PC, open a remote desktop session, type in the IP address of the fiery on the network. The login name is "Administrator" with no quotes and upper case A, and the password is "Fiery.1", no quotes and upper case F.

You will be presented with a windows xp desktop.

From there, through the start menu, select the fiery sub menu. Within there you will see Fiery update, select that. In the new window, you can set the update parameters. By default, they are turned off. I usually turn these on and set them to update during business hours (some users turn off the machine at night). I will then press the "update now" button. A list of patches, mostly windows security, may or may not appear, depending on whether or not patches were already applied (config sheet), or you have a network connection issue.

That last part, if you get ANY error message and do not see anything listed, then possible problem areas may be that the fiery does not have the proper DNS settings, or it has no permissions to go outside the network (domain controller type networks), or the time/timezone settings are incorrect. The configuration sheet should reflect DNS and time settings and if they do not match what you see on your PC, then correct the values and try doing the update again. Keep in mind that any changes to the fiery will require a reboot before they fully take effect.

primozks
09-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Fiery was updated via online update, so I believe all patches are there. Thanks.
I can't connect via remote desktop. Is there an option in Fiery where I can turn it on? But as far as I know this fiery is Linux based and I don't know if remote desktop works.

Stirton.M
09-03-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm not sooo upset.
But when I bought the machine the 20EUR/month "update fee" was optional and if I pay for something like that there should be some consideration from KM side if the firmware is needed. I believe there is list of updates, and if some update has new options which can be helpful at everydays work it should be installed. I have no problem with workarounds, using bypass tray or something similar, but if there is a new option why wouldn't I use it?

Well, most of the firmware updates are for fixing previous known problems and many do not add any new features or abilities at a user level. Typically I mean. I'll update because I am simply anal retentive about such things, more often takes care of many problems and reduces the visits I have to do at any given business. For example, the latest special firmware allows me to disable the "replace toner soon" message, which has confused some users into thinking they need to replace the cartridge now, even though it is not empty. That same firmware also allows me to disable the "replace IU" message, extending the life of the IU well beyond its life span. This firmware is not necessary. It is however, a means of reducing costs to KM. Replace the toner when it is actually empty. Replace the IU when it begins to fail and lose copy quality.

Not all the firmware iterations have changes like this. Some may merely fix an issue that is unique to a given environment, such as a Citrix network, or a particular graphics program incompatibility. So not always is an update necessary.

Chromatik
09-03-2010, 10:58 AM
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....................................
...................................?

primozks
09-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Well, most of the firmware updates are for fixing previous known problems and many do not add any new features or abilities at a user level. Typically I mean. I'll update because I am simply anal retentive about such things, more often takes care of many problems and reduces the visits I have to do at any given business. For example, the latest special firmware allows me to disable the "replace toner soon" message, which has confused some users into thinking they need to replace the cartridge now, even though it is not empty. That same firmware also allows me to disable the "replace IU" message, extending the life of the IU well beyond its life span. This firmware is not necessary. It is however, a means of reducing costs to KM. Replace the toner when it is actually empty. Replace the IU when it begins to fail and lose copy quality.

Not all the firmware iterations have changes like this. Some may merely fix an issue that is unique to a given environment, such as a Citrix network, or a particular graphics program incompatibility. So not always is an update necessary.

That's what I ment. If everything works OK, there is no need for updating. But if there's a major ugrade it should be considered putting it in. And custom size selection is from my perspective a major upgrade. I don't like to call tech service all the time (you can see it, if they weren't here for two years), in fact this is my first call, and I feel i'm begging for something.

primozks
09-03-2010, 11:10 AM
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....................................
...................................?

Is this some sort of hangman game? :)

Stirton.M
09-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Ya, I can appreciate that....

Hopefully this can be fully resolved. Keep us posted on this.

Stirton.M
09-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Is this some sort of hangman game? :)

Yes, it is a game. One that will get that member banned for violating forum guidelines.

jma676
09-03-2010, 11:17 AM
post something of this guide*

primozks
09-03-2010, 11:29 AM
I just spoke to KM tech, will come next week. Will post how it went. Thanks.

Stirton.M
09-03-2010, 11:32 AM
post something of this guide*

Copytechnet.com - Forum Rules (http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/misc.php?do=vsarules)

Rule #6

Stirton.M
09-03-2010, 11:34 AM
I just spoke to KM tech, will come next week. Will post how it went. Thanks.

No problem. Any other questions or help, feel free to ask. Most regulars here are pretty knowledgeable and you should get responses pretty quick.

jma676
09-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Gracias amigo seras el amigo-enemigo mas agradecido, aprecio mucho tu trabajo, sabes responder bien a las personas asi como tambien molestarlas, bien te escribo esto en espaņol asi tienes la oprtunidad para traducirlo.

Solo trata de no llevar tanto la camiseta de la compania, espero que nunca quedes fuera de ella, trata de hablar con alguien que en particular a sufrido quedar fuera de la compania y sin informacion, tratar de llevar las cosas adelante.

y ahora en espaņol como dicen por aqui, con cariņo, no seas Salame***

Custom Search