PDA

View Full Version : Error Code FS-1800: check waste toner bottle

Custom Search

rdhoore108
09-17-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm not an official technician, but I'm appointed by my company to try and fix any printer that is out of service contract because of too many pages printed.

So I got a FS-1800 which printed very dirty pages, with vertical stripes. I found out that the channel inside the drum, that carries the waste toner away from the drum and into the waste toner bottle, was totally stuck with dirt. So, the whole drum was full of waste toner, and the waste toner was forced out on the drum, causing the stripes.

I removed the drum roll from the drum holder, and then took the drum holder outside and cleaned it with compressed air. I assembled everything back together, but now when I switch on the printer, I get the Dutch message that is equivalent to "check waste toner bottle" on the display. Needless to say, the toner bottle is clean.

I don't see any sensor of any kind. What exactly triggers this error?

Also, once this problem would be fixed, do I need to select in the menu that I replaced the drum, as the whole drum is now empty of any (used) toner? (Right now I don't even get the chance to enter the menu.)

Thanks in advance!

LNorris
09-17-2010, 04:10 PM
There is a sensor on the drum that detects the waste toner bottle. there is also a board on the drum that connects to that sensor. if you rebuilt it, make sure the connections are good. there could be a spring there (doesnt show the parts in the service manual) just how its related.

DWise
09-17-2010, 10:55 PM
also, be sure to thoroughly clean the neck of the waste toner bottle, inside and out, with a DRY cloth or rag. there is no command you need after you re-install the drum, just make sure you re-seat it firmly.

If you can't get the error to go away after doing the above, you will probably need to remove the drum and take the end unit apart. There is a sensor inside that you can blow off with compressed air and re-assemble and put back in printer.

Hope any of this works

JustManuals
09-18-2010, 12:37 AM
This Parts & Service manual can now be purchased for $11.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from The Internet's largest collection of manuals (http://www.justmanuals.com)

Paul@justmanuals.com

madas
09-20-2010, 11:41 PM
Hi, the sensor is in the drum where the neck of the bottle goes. push the spring loaded cover which normally is moved when you insert the bottle. use a puffer brush or cotton bud to clean it. also as above make sure the neck of the bottle is clean inside and out.

madas

Custom Search