PDA

View Full Version : solaris print issue

Custom Search

wellconnected
11-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Have customer with this setup and issue
Can anyone help

Current Setup:
Printing from CBA (Solaris Unix) is sending print jobs to Paris Software application (cap-paris server) which in turn is using Generic/Text only drivers to send the print jobs to the Kyrocera printers.

Problems:
Instructing the printers to perform any function that is not the standard (default) settings. Specifically, Double Sided printing, Single Side printing from the Manual pick up tray. Colour or B&W.

blackcat4866
11-03-2010, 01:01 AM
I would have anticipated that. Generic text-only drivers will not generate the necessary PJL commands to select specific trays, duplex, anything specific to the Kyocera.

question 1) What emulation are you using? PCL XL (PCL6) or PostScript?
question 2) Do you have a method to insert a header in front of the print job?
question 3) What specific model(s) of Kyocera?

answer 1) Preferably use a Kyocera KX driver. Perhaps the Kyocera Universal driver will be compatible. You'll have access to most functions.
answer 2) If you can insert headers I can help you compose the necessary code. If there is an emulation choice, the PCL XL emulation has the simpler, shorter headers (for example, a PCLXL header might be 12 lines, whereas a PostScript header might be 50 lines or more.) I'll need to know what combination of features you'll need. A header must be written for each desired combination, and the header will not be universally applicable to all Kyocera machines. It will depend on what machines you have in mind.

Simple solutions? Nope. =^..^=

KenB
11-03-2010, 01:24 AM
You may be able to create a logical printer for your UNIX queue.

You will need the Prescribe Command manual to do this.

Check out the attached PDF:

wellconnected
11-03-2010, 01:37 AM
Thanks for that info guys will send it on to cust IT and will let you know the result

Custom Search