PDA

View Full Version : Biz601 - Jams on stapled sets only.

Custom Search

907tec
12-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Got an essentially brand new Biz601 with finisher that jams only when doing staple jobs. Finisher operates perfectly, unless you add stapling to the job. Every time a set is lifted from the stacker to the main tray paper exit rollers, it jams. The paper exit opening solenoid (SD4) is not actuating, meaning the main tray exit rollers are unable to grab the paper. As the stapled set is lifted from the stapling position by the belt, it should be picked up by the paper exit rolls. Instead, the lift belt continues to rotate, causing the paper to get pinched and bind up the machine.

The paper exit solenoid is capable of moving: it operates just fine when the job doesn't involve stapling. However, in non-staple modes, the solenoid is triggered by the main tray paper exit sensor (PS6). In staple modes, the solenoid "turns on after a specified period of time since the stapling operation is completed". As far as I can tell, that rules out the flag sensor and leaves only firmware/boards as the culprit. I have seen some special firmware for this machine regarding finisher issues, but nothing quite like this. I am going to be headed there today to flash the lastest FW, just wanted to see if anyone else had seen similar.

KEVIN900
12-29-2010, 11:32 PM
The first step in troubleshooting is the visual inspection. Arm yourself with a #2 Phillips, a flashlight, and a can of canned air. Firmware upgrades are glamorous, but visual inspection remains the first step. Check that a sensor hasn't popped off. Or it's actuator spring needs re-attachment. I've not encountered a problem like this. I hope you share the outcome.

907tec
12-30-2010, 12:59 AM
Found the problem today: position of the paper exit arm relative to the belt detection gear. Although the machine thought it was moving the "paper exit arm" to the correct position, it was out of phase. When the belt detection gear was aligned with the frame notch, the paper exit arm was rotated almost 180 degrees away. All you have to do is move the belt to home position, then reattach the gear at the proper angle. Glad I happened across that before I started in on the firmware. Page 46 of the FS524/525 manual has the procedure.

Custom Search