PDA

View Full Version : General question Ricoh vs Konica Minolta

Custom Search

BIG PAPA
01-21-2011, 02:43 PM
I have worked for several Konica Minolta dealerships over the years. So I am very familiar with the drivers and the interfaces. We have customers that also like the interface of the Konica Minoltas. I have experience with Muratecs, and Copystars, and do prefer Konica Minoltas. Our Main compettion is a Ricoh dealership and am just trying to get some opionions on how they measure up as far as the networking side. As far as equipment itself it depends on the techs backing it up and I know we have them beat in this area.

SmellsHot
01-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Konica is easier to understand....Ricoh can be a pain...

Hemlock
01-21-2011, 03:03 PM
My Konica experience - office through production, Ricoh - production only.

On the production level, Ricoh was just a tad easier. And that has more to do with each machine's touch panel than anything else.

mrwho
01-22-2011, 10:08 AM
With KM, each machine can be a little bit different on the software side, meaning that a customer who has 5 different KM models must learn about 5 different ways of doing something

Ricoh has the advantage of having the same interface (with minimal differences) on a broad range of models (considering they aren't too old or too recent between them), meaning that the interface is almost exactly the same between a broad range of models.

mrwho
01-22-2011, 10:11 AM
On the driver side, I found out a short time ago that you can customize Ricoh printer drivers for the particular needs of a customer (like poping-up a window to ask for a user code, or locking out some options or even making them disappear). I've heard of a similar thing on the KM side when I worked with their machines, but never got around to do it, so I don't know whether the same is possible.

Also the drivers, like the interface, are quite similar between a lot of models, which is good for the end user.

alsi5
01-22-2011, 10:20 AM
KM have many diffrent things to set to serviceman, but for the customers is very easy to understand....

bobe
10-11-2011, 04:38 AM
I have worked for Ricoh 6 years . I think are the best in printing way. Scan to folder and e-mail maybe Konica. In Service Mode for a tech Ricoh is the best, even a fool can reset a SC code. Canon and Konica pain in the a..

alizen
10-11-2011, 05:13 AM
Konica is easier to understand....Ricoh can be a pain...
i am working with ricoh & km i just uderstand ricoh is like a nokia mobile phone user friendly on large scales printing but minolta is headach every time

habik
10-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Kyocera,Olivetti and Konica Minolta, Develop,Olivetti Dealer (tech)

as I can not compare. I'd say, Konica once you have proper training and you actually UNDERSTAND it. then it is a lovely machine, If demo on machine is done properly, than even client finds Scan to SMB,FTP,EMAIL easy.

Service mode? yah a bit...time to digest. but .part of training :)

fixthecopier
10-11-2011, 12:50 PM
We sell both, and hands down everybody prefers Konica.

Hemlock
10-12-2011, 12:35 PM
I do have to give Konica props for aesthetics - having one flat surface (top of the machine) from paper tray to the end of the finisher is a nice touch. And the gray is a nice change from the usual beige that copier companies used for years.

kingpd@businessprints.net
11-12-2011, 08:36 PM
I like the black look too. Although I'm not a fan of the xerox phasers, I do like their beige and blue design...I'm partial to blue.

I do have to give Konica props for aesthetics - having one flat surface (top of the machine) from paper tray to the end of the finisher is a nice touch. And the gray is a nice change from the usual beige that copier companies used for years.

mrwho
11-13-2011, 03:26 AM
Konica Minolta machines are way prettier than they were before, I give you that.

But, thanks to that, they're 10x freaking difficult to take the covers out to reach its insides. Damned beauty over function!

11-13-2011, 04:04 PM
I thought it would be cool to let some art students paint murials on a copier.

BIG PAPA
11-14-2011, 02:26 PM
If anyone wants the real reasons behind the switch to dark covers it is due to using recycled plastics. If they leave them a lighter color you will see the swirl marks from the recycling process. Most manufactuers are going this route. Bow down to the all mighty dollar!

P-Man
11-14-2011, 02:44 PM
We have 3 Konica Minolta's in our shop and one Ricoh. We have a Bizhub Pro 1050, a Bizhub Pro 1200, and a Bizhub Press C8000 for KM and we have a Ricoh pro C900s. We love our Konica's and hate hate hate the Ricoh. We have had nothing but problems with the Ricoh ranging from poor quality, to jamming, to the fuser blade bursting into pieces. We also dont like that the Ricoh is an oil machine and the problems that has also caused. The ricoh is not as "user friendly" either, we are a high volume print shop and we have to constantly swap fusers in the Ricoh when switching between coated and uncoated stock. I will say the speed of the Ricoh is nice but that is it's only advantage. As far a print quality, its pretty good but doesnt even come close to the clearity and quality of our C8000. Overall we are unimpressed with the Ricoh and have it up for service at a minimum once a week, but most of the time we have it up 2-4 times a week. Thats our opinion on it....Konica Minolta all the way once our Ricoh contract is up.

mrwho
11-14-2011, 09:26 PM
If anyone wants the real reasons behind the switch to dark covers it is due to using recycled plastics. If they leave them a lighter color you will see the swirl marks from the recycling process. Most manufactuers are going this route. Bow down to the all mighty dollar!

I have nothing against the colour. It's the cover arrangement that gets to me. In order to get to PCB X at the back of the machine, we need to take the front cover in order to take out the side top cover in order to take out the side bottom cover in order to take out the back cover. It's just silly!

11-15-2011, 03:10 AM
Yeah that is really stupid and annoying. Wouldn't it be super neat if we were in the future and invisible forcefield walls were invented. They could have the copier surrounded by an invisible forcefield on each side. So when you want to get to the back you just push a button and now you can instantly get to the back area...

...of course...

...then copier technicians will have to learn to fix invisible force fields...and what would happen if it turns on while your hand or head is in there...probably would vaporize ya.

I have nothing against the colour. It's the cover arrangement that gets to me. In order to get to PCB X at the back of the machine, we need to take the front cover in order to take out the side top cover in order to take out the side bottom cover in order to take out the back cover. It's just silly!

khattab.al.masry
11-26-2014, 07:38 AM
ONE WORD CANON

allan
11-26-2014, 03:09 PM
I have same level of experience on both. When it comes to color the KM machines are best. Software wise the the SAMBA support for the scanning on the ricoh machines is great you can brows for folder locations on the machine panel. Other than that both do the job. the best machine ever would be a MP6500 print engine combined with a B601 Body and fuser!

habik
11-26-2014, 04:08 PM
ONE WORD CANON

Nope - Nikon
:)

Custom Search