PDA

View Full Version : Command Workstation print issue

Custom Search

jasonofx
01-25-2011, 01:41 PM
A customer has an intermittently recurring issue with print jobs. When he sends multiple sets of a print job with a lot of pages (100), it shows in cws that there are 10 sets to print, but when it gets finished with 1 set, it stops printing and moves the job into the finished queue. It is a pdf, and is not a large document. File size seems to have nothing to do with the problem, he can print a 10 page file that's 100mb, and do 10 sets of it fine. But this file is only 14 mb, 100 pages, and it will only print 1 set at a time. We tried to "process and hold" at cws and then print, but we got the same results. The next thing I will try is to "print as image" in the print dialogue box. Just wanted to throw this out in case any of you have come across something similar and have any suggestions.

Hemlock
01-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Which version of CommandWorkstation?

mrwho
01-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Is the Fiery fully patched and using the latest drivers and CWS?

jasonofx
01-25-2011, 10:09 PM
I will check both of those tomorrow or the next day and get back to you, thanks for the replies!

Stirton.M
01-27-2011, 03:00 AM
The problem is likely the Fiery itself or the driver/OS. Command Workstation is just a portal to the Fiery. The problem presents itself when the user prints from their computer.

What is the Fiery and the printer models? I'm with mrwho on the patches and drivers being used.

KenB
01-27-2011, 03:06 AM
I couldn't agree more on having everything patched and up to current specs.

One trick to try, though. Rather than printing to the Fiery and using CWS to change parameters and/or reprint, use CWS to import the PDF file directly - that way you'll be eliminating the user's PC and print driver from the equation.

jasonofx
01-31-2011, 01:33 PM
Using CWS 5, (5.0.1.12), Fiery is using EFI Fiery System 9 Version 3.0. I'll have to check Konica to see if these are the most current, not sure if it's ever been patched, (probably not), so i'll probably start there.
Will also bypass the computer and print driver by importing into CWS directly. This issue is intermittent, and the customer does not repeatedly want to waste 100 prints, so we'll continue testing as the need arises, but I'll for sure get the Fiery up to the latest system software and fully patched.
It is a bizhub PRO C6501-Fiery Pro 80

studioyumi
07-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Hello,

I have the same issues with printing PDF files. Only one copy wil be printed. I use CWS 5.3 with a KM C253 and a fiery IC0-409. Does anyone have a solution for this problem

Command Workstation print issue
A customer has an intermittently recurring issue with print jobs. When he sends multiple sets of a print job with a lot of pages (100), it shows in cws that there are 10 sets to print, but when it gets finished with 1 set, it stops printing and moves the job into the finished queue. It is a pdf, and is not a large document. File size seems to have nothing to do with the problem, he can print a 10 page file that's 100mb, and do 10 sets of it fine. But this file is only 14 mb, 100 pages, and it will only print 1 set at a time. We tried to "process and hold" at cws and then print, but we got the same results. The next thing I will try is to "print as image" in the print dialogue box. Just wanted to throw this out in case any of you have come across something similar and have any suggestions.

empiru
07-29-2011, 09:40 PM

Well, by my logic, if you say he can print it another document with no problems, then it's clearly an issue with the document, not with the machine... Anyway, did you try with "Process and Hold" and then set the number of copies directly in the workstation?

studioyumi
07-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Well, by my logic, if you say he can print it another document with no problems, then it's clearly an issue with the document, not with the machine... Anyway, did you try with "Process and Hold" and then set the number of copies directly in the workstation?

The problem only exists with PDF files.

empiru
07-29-2011, 09:54 PM
The problem only exists with PDF files.

I'm pretty sure you're an end user. My post was for the guy that started this thread, that's why I quoted him. For you, I have something written in my signature! Have a nice day!

PS: nothing personal.

RRodgers
07-29-2011, 11:59 PM
A customer has an intermittently recurring issue with print jobs. When he sends multiple sets of a print job with a lot of pages (100), it shows in cws that there are 10 sets to print, but when it gets finished with 1 set, it stops printing and moves the job into the finished queue. It is a pdf, and is not a large document. File size seems to have nothing to do with the problem, he can print a 10 page file that's 100mb, and do 10 sets of it fine. But this file is only 14 mb, 100 pages, and it will only print 1 set at a time. We tried to "process and hold" at cws and then print, but we got the same results. The next thing I will try is to "print as image" in the print dialogue box. Just wanted to throw this out in case any of you have come across something similar and have any suggestions. Uncheck collate, and set the number of sets you want in the driver not the print window.

rangertech
08-01-2011, 02:48 AM
maybe the problem in application software pdf. have you try create new file multiple page pdf with another pc ?

Ianizer
08-01-2011, 04:52 AM
I have a few questions:

Have we isolated the driver yet by importing directly to the Held que, changing the quantity, and printing the job?

If not sensitive material, will the customer supply a problem PDF to the technician on a thumbdrive for t'shooting via technician's laptop and resident driver, again isolating the driver/network/file/application?

Are we using the PS or the PCL driver?

-I

jasonofx
08-01-2011, 08:23 PM
I have a few questions:

Have we isolated the driver yet by importing directly to the Held que, changing the quantity, and printing the job?

If not sensitive material, will the customer supply a problem PDF to the technician on a thumbdrive for t'shooting via technician's laptop and resident driver, again isolating the driver/network/file/application?

Are we using the PS or the PCL driver?

-I

Now that this thread is revived, this issue has been resolved. Another IT guy for my company had to go to this customer for another reason, and he figured this one out while he was there. He told me what solved it, but it's been so long I can't remember exactly. I think he had to re-install CWS and the print driver on the user's pc, they had updated from OSX10.5 to 10.6 without telling us. Just wanted to follow up so you guys didn't think I had asked for help then jumped ship :)

Custom Search