PDA

View Full Version : bizhub 420 noise. ouch

Custom Search

brent
02-18-2011, 06:38 PM
so first off. this is a full system bizhub 420 it is making a vibrating noise when copying.
hard to explain but thought I would ask before I tear it completely down. it does make the like rubbing noise every copy. then at the end of a copy run it makes the same noise for about 3 seconds (after the paper is out and the copy run is over) it sounds like it is coming from the middle back above the toner hopper area. but it is loud and vibrates throught the machine. where would you start on a problem like this>? I know it is a long shot. but the copys are still good. and the machine is not jamming. just noisey
thanks
brent

CraigW
02-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Open the door and look to the right at the brown fuser drive gears, look for missing teeth and brown dust from the gears. At one point we got a kit of the gears but cannot order the same part #. There are also a couple of different types that are not interchangeable.

copytechman
02-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Is it a constant noise or does it cycle with paper feed?

Regards!
A.

brent
02-18-2011, 06:54 PM
I have not taken a known fuser down and swapped it yet. I guess that would be a great place to start

brent

brent
02-18-2011, 06:56 PM
it does cycle. and it is not constant. but it is the same noise and the same timing. every time

CraigW
02-18-2011, 07:02 PM
The drive gears are in the machine, You may need to remove the fuser to inspect...but should be easy to see them. To the right, top when door open against the back frame.

copytechman
02-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Fuser drive would be constant typically (since the motor would on from start of job to stop). In my opinion usually if fuser drive is worn you'll get the noise all the time especially if the gears are almost shot... If however it cycles with paper feed and sounds (sorta) like rubbing clean fingers across a glass plate, i'd be looking looking at tray tires perhaps, also check the toner supply system drive gears (you can check it with the machine running if you remove the finisher and inside covers).. The noise might be recreateable if you open the front door and remove and re-insert the toner bottle too. (toner bottle drive gears again)

Regards!
A.

minimerlin
02-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Fan buzz due to dust build up/faulty fan? But having said that I have also had noise from the fuser drive gears in the machine as well as the fans.
Good hunting!

mo0651
02-18-2011, 09:32 PM
It sounds like a toner feed issue we had. Toner bottle drive and toner hopper drive have 2 motors mounted on same plate in back of machine behind main board. We have had the plastic bushings, where the shafts pass thru, get dry and have toner dust in them. makes a kind of grunt grunt sound.

rocky246
02-19-2011, 12:56 AM
The drum unit has two spacers that hold the drum tight. They have felt on them. I've had the felt come loose and get wedge between the drum and drum unit frame. Another idea would be the drum drive. There are two gears that drive the drum. These gears are pressed together and have 3 or 4 rubber pads between them. I've had the pads come loose and make noise. I've had the toner feed issue that mo0651 mentioned. You can run the drive motors for toner,drum, and fuser in service mode ( go to state confirmation and then load test ). Input the code.

Downunder
02-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Follow Rocky's suggestion by going into Load Test and test each individual motor, this should narrow it down. What happens when double-siding, sometimes these clutches can rattle. The main drive unit on the back behind the OACB has some gears on which after a while the white grease drys out and then gears makes a rattling noise. And as mentioned by moO651 the motors on the back of the toner hopper can give some grief but I would go into test mode and run these individually, this will show up if the frames is a bit out of wack.

brent
02-22-2011, 10:40 PM
well it is fixed. I got a call today from the customer. stated it had a c2801 on it.
there is a tad from konica minolta that talked about the c2801 so basically I replaced the toner add system from the back. and then the code reappeared. I had to go into tech rep screen and add toner to the developer. that fixed it. i don't have copy of the tech advise document with me. if anyone needs it I can scan it and attatch it for your viewing pleasure. it worked for me. so thanks for all your help on this. 700k on this machine and the toner add system finally puked on me

brent

KonMan
02-22-2011, 11:21 PM
Take the finisher off, remove the plastic inner cover and look at the toner drive unit. The unit can become quite noisy if its bound. Located in the middle toward the rear.

Custom Search