PDA

View Full Version : Sharp AR-505 - AR-PB2A/AR-NC3D - No Lights on NIC & PWB not seen?

Custom Search

drankinatty
04-02-2011, 07:00 PM
All,

I have no idea how to trouble shoot this problem. I have the AR-PB2A (N1275FC E2 COUGAR PRINTER) board with AR-NC3D Network Interface installed. The first thing I notice is that when the copier is turned on, I get no lights on the network interface (2 - green/yellow lights). I don't know if you should get lights with no cable plugged in, but when I plug a cable in, I would expect to see at least a green connection light.

The specifics of the Network Card are:

-----------------------
P/N: AR-NC3D
S/N: 875279
ROM: V5.59
CODE: 090
MAC: 0040AF6AD878

(small sticker)
P/N: 6117402
Rev: A
SVI: 08/00
-----------------------

On the Printer board, I find:

-----------------------
FLASH PWB MMK-5894V-0
(and then the other markings on the Printer board are)
N1275FC E2 COUGAR PRINTER
SHARP NEP-16
-----------------------

From what I can tell, this is the normal AR-PB2A/AR-NC3D Print Controller and Network Card Combination.

I have removed the board from the copier and inspecting the motherboard wire harness behind it and the fan and all looks good. I have also inspected the pins that seat into the motherboard when the AR-PB2A/AR-NC3D is installed back into the copier and they look fine. Physically everything looks good.

What I don't know is "How do I troubleshoot this problem?" Are there other connections I should check?

I have the "Cougar 2000 Handy Guide" as well as the Service Manual and AR-PB2A Manual, but they are really no help in troubleshooting. The only reference to No lights is in the Handy Guide which simply says check power and make sure the copier is plugged in -- duh....

One other indication is that on the front panel you have the "Copy" "Print" buttons that allow you to swich between print and copy modes. When I press "Print", I get the following error that tells me the print controller isn't being seen:

"An optional Printer Board is not installed"

Ugh... Where do I start trying to figure this one out? Are there sim codes that will help? I have found a couple in the 60 range, but I'm not that familiar with them. What say the experts? I have both straight and crossover cables so I can connect my laptop to the AR-NC3D, but I'm not sure what I would do from there?

Help :)

bilyahn
04-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Was it working before and you just got it? You can reset the NIC in system settings. If this doesn't work try a hard reset of the NIC

Remove the ARNC3D and move jumper OP2 on the AR-NC3D (also marked on nic board as FACT ), from pin 2-3 (Normal) to pin 1-2 (reset). Re-install the card and power up the Imager. The board will reset all parameters to Factory Default. This will be indicated by 3 quick green flashes of the LEDs, followed by the alternating orange and green indicators. This indicates that the unit has been reset to Factory Defaults. Turn off the power, remove NIC and restore jumper.

If this doesn't work then you probably have a corrupt ROM and you will need some additional ROMs or another machine to flash them with.

Good Luck.

Bil

If I remember correctly there should always be a yellow light on. Also is the scuzzi cable connected to the print controller properly? Correct port on the back of the machine and the right settings in sim 26?

blackcat4866
04-03-2011, 03:31 PM
I seem to recall a lot of codes resulting from these print systems. I taught most of my Cougar customers to disconnect network cable, power Off/On, then after initialization is complete, plug the network cable back in. That restored printing in most cases. I think I have a good/used AR-NC3D if you think yours is faulty. Follow Bil's suggestions first. =^..^=

drankinatty
04-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Was it working before and you just got it? You can reset the NIC in system settings. If this doesn't work try a hard reset of the NIC

Remove the ARNC3D and move jumper OP2 on the AR-NC3D (also marked on nic board as FACT ), from pin 2-3 (Normal) to pin 1-2 (reset). Re-install the card and power up the Imager. The board will reset all parameters to Factory Default. This will be indicated by 3 quick green flashes of the LEDs, followed by the alternating orange and green indicators. This indicates that the unit has been reset to Factory Defaults. Turn off the power, remove NIC and restore jumper.

If this doesn't work then you probably have a corrupt ROM and you will need some additional ROMs or another machine to flash them with.

Good Luck.

Bil

If I remember correctly there should always be a yellow light on. Also is the scuzzi cable connected to the print controller properly? Correct port on the back of the machine and the right settings in sim 26?

Bil,

Thank you -- I might be missing a cable altogether. On the back of the AR-PB2A (visible from the outside of the copier) you have a parallel port and a SCSI port (and the network RJ-45 port). I have NO cables whatsoever plugged into any of these at the moment. Is it supposed to have a cable connected to the SCSI port for normal operations?

When I removed the AR-PB2A and looked at the internal connection, you have a small (motherboard) inside the housing that the AR-PB2A pins plug into. Then you have a 3-4" (20-30 wire) harness that connects the motherboard to the interal workings of the copier. I presumed this is where the interface connection between the AR-PB2A print controller and the copier was made?? I'll take a picture and put them up the next time I get a chance.

This copier was purchased with the board already installed by the customer and he has never attempted to use it prior to this.

From what I can tell from reading the AR-NC3D ROM version 5.59 is current (or close to it). All references suggest a ROM version > 5.5 so this would qualify. I also have obtained a flash utility and new ROM that if worse-comes-to-worse, I can attempt later, but I wanted to exhause all possibilities before throwing caution to the wind and rolling the dice with the flash utility.

Thank you for your help and let me know on the external cable. If I do need one, I'll have to find somewhere to purchase one. Just thinking about it, I can't see where the other end of the SCSI cable would plug into, unless there is some type of gender-blender between the SCSI port and the rectangular 10-16 pin block on the back of the copier in that general area. The rectangular block is a female block that looks something like this (exact number of pins may vary):

[ ][ ]
[ ][ ]
[ ][ ]
[ ][ ]
[ ][ ]

This ring any bell. I'll have to refer to the service guide to get a proper name for it.

drankinatty
04-03-2011, 09:38 PM
I seem to recall a lot of codes resulting from these print systems. I taught most of my Cougar customers to disconnect network cable, power Off/On, then after initialization is complete, plug the network cable back in. That restored printing in most cases. I think I have a good/used AR-NC3D if you think yours is faulty. Follow Bil's suggestions first. =^..^=

Thank you blackcat,

I'll follow Bil's advise and report back. If I do end up needing another one, that sounds good to me.

blackcat4866
04-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Bil,

Thank you -- I might be missing a cable altogether. On the back of the AR-PB2A (visible from the outside of the copier) you have a parallel port and a SCSI port (and the network RJ-45 port). I have NO cables whatsoever plugged into any of these at the moment. Is it supposed to have a cable connected to the SCSI port for normal operations? ...

Yes, you need to have a cable connecting the print system to one of the SCSI ports in the back, then also have the correct one of the two SCSI ports enabled in simulation 26. It's very common to have the one or both ports disabled, or to have the cable plugged into the disabled port.

Get the cable first before troubleshooting any further. =^..^=

drankinatty
04-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Yes, you need to have a cable connecting the print system to one of the SCSI ports in the back, then also have the correct one of the two SCSI ports enabled in simulation 26. It's very common to have the one or both ports disabled, or to have the cable plugged into the disabled port.

Get the cable first before troubleshooting any further. =^..^=

Ah hah! That makes sense now. Where would I get one of these funky scsi on one endy and block attach on the other end cables? I'll check the service manual to see if I can find a part number. If anybody has the P/N or a favorite vendor, I'd appreciate the help. :p

bilyahn
04-05-2011, 02:17 PM
The part number for the cable appears to be QCNW-0153FCZ1 it's called a fax interface cable in the parts guide but that is the only cable that comes with this unit. The part is no longer availible from Sharp but someone might have an old one or if you have a copier wholesaler they might have one. We have pretty much recycled all of these that we get as trade-ins.

Good luck.

Bil

drankinatty
04-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Bil,

Thanks again. That is the immediate problem. I don't have the SCSI cable. It took hitting me with a bat to get it to click. So what I need is the SCSI cable (male/female) that goes from either port A or port B on the back of the copier (shown as "13" in the service manual page below):

http://www.rlfpllc.com/dl/office/copiers/Sharp_AR-505/pwb-diagram-pp5-4.pdf

and the SCSI port on the AR-PB2A board :)

No wonder no lights were coming on :) I'll search for the sharp part number, but is there any reason a normal SCSI cable wouldn't work if I'm unable to find the part number? It's just a SCSI cable right? No weird proprietary re-pinning?

Thanks again.

blackcat4866
04-05-2011, 04:25 PM
I haven't done much with SCSI, but IIRC this cable is unique. Use this part number from Bil's post: QCNW-0153FCZ1

Try here: http://www.precisionroller.com/qcnw-0153fcz1-for-sharp/part_number.html
=^..^=

drankinatty
04-05-2011, 04:42 PM
So I guess that would actually be a HD50 male/male SCSI cable that is needed...

drankinatty
04-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Got it, thanks - must be unique for $100 :)

drankinatty
04-05-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm going to experiment. Triplite makes a HD50 pin M/M external SCSI peripheral connect cable available through Amazon for .99 (5.98 shipping). So for a total of $6.98 we will test whether this is a normal SCSI cable before plunking down the $100 for the "Sharp" HD50 M/M interface cable. I'll report back ;)

drankinatty
04-11-2011, 06:26 PM
I'll be danged!! You guys are great! That .97 cent 50HD male/male SCSI cable did it!

I hooked the SCSI cable to Port 'A' and the other end to the AR-PB2A SCSI port. Entered Sim 26-44, and set Port 'A' to '1' and then exited the simulation.

I checked and the green light was on on the AR-NC3D network interface. I then went to get a network cable to plug it into the wall. As I'm walking away from the copier -- it magically spits out a single sheet of paper with the:

Unit Serial No: Version: 05.59
Network Address:
Network Topology: Ethernet Connector: RJ45
Network Speed: 10 Megabits
Novell Network Information
Print Server Name: SHARP
<snip remainder>

That's fantastic. I guess it's working. I'll still need to set the network address and change the print server name -- but this is a home run with a 97 cent SCSI cable :)

One question I have is whether I have set the sim 26-44 code correctly. You have 4 choices of the decimal value to enter for Port 'A':

0: no 1: PRT 3: EXT PRT 8: T-A

I currently have it set as '1', and it appears for all purposes to be working, but I'm curious what '3' and '8' are. Any ideas? (for now I'm happy to leave well enough alone and just finish the network configuration)

Let me know if I should set something different and -- thank you all for your help.

drankinatty
04-11-2011, 06:40 PM
I'll be danged!! You guys are great! That .97 cent 50HD male/male SCSI cable did it!

<snip>

I currently have it set as '1', and it appears for all purposes to be working, but I'm curious what '3' and '8' are. Any ideas? (for now I'm happy to leave well enough alone and just finish the network configuration)

Let me know if I should set something different and -- thank you all for your help.

Found it! Page 7-30 of the Service Manual:

0: No Connection
1: Printer Controller
3: External Printer Controller (not used)
4: Scanner Controller (not used)
8: Tandem connection (initiator)
10: Tandem connection (target)

Thanks again for all your help. Now all I got to do is figure out how to set the IP and change the Print Server name :)

drankinatty
04-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Err.... Guys -- one last question (or two :)

I have the AR-PB2 happily talking to the copier. I can switch back and forth between Print and Copy mode just fine. I can configure the Print options through the front panel (i.e. Print -> Offline -> Menu, then make all settings). From the menu, I can select the output trays and print all test pages. (i.e. Demo, Print Configuration, Resident Font Lists, PCL Symbol List, NIC Settings), but for some reason, I can't talk to the copier through the NIC??

I can confirm from the status lights on the network router that a good cable connection exists between the router and AR-NC3D card (green status light on the router). The green status light on the AR-NC3D is on (it stays on). But I can't ping the AR-NC3D from the network??

I have put the "Printer Configuration Page" that the copier spits out on the server for your review:

http://www.rlfpllc.com/dl/office/copiers/Sharp_AR-505/sharp_AR505-Printer-Configuration.pdf

It shows the proper IP, subnet-mask, and gateway. One clue may be the difference between what that page shows and what the actual Printer Test Page "Print NIC Page" shows as the 'protocol address'. I have put the "Print NIC Page" information up here:

http://www.rlfpllc.com/dl/office/copiers/Sharp_AR-505/sharp-AR-NC3D-status.pdf

The question I have is how does the first "Printer Configuration" test page properly show the IP of 192.168.7.22 while the "Print NIC Page" shows the "Protocol Address: 0.0.0.0" ? This may be normal, but I just don't know. Also, the "Print NIC Page" show a DNS Address of 0.0.0.0. I can't figure out where to set that from the front panel. Your only options from the panel are IP, subnet-mask and gateway.

So what say the experts? From all indications - all test pages - etc.., it looks like this thing is working fine. What can I try to get this communicating on the network?

I figure that if nothing else, I should be able to 'ping' the NIC and get a response, but it doesn't seem to work. I haven't tried the parallel interface on the AR-PB2 yet, but I have no reason to think it wouldn't work. What are the tricks to talk to the AR-NC3D? A crossover-cable directly connected between the laptop and AR-NC3D doesn't seem like it would offer anything that the current 'confirmed good' network connection would. The green status light on the router tells me the connection to the AR-NC3D is pinned properly and the AR-NC3D is 'seen' on the network from a voltage standpoint. I just have to make it talk.

Thanks in advance for any help or advise you can give. I don't know if this could be a bad NIC or what, but I know the AR-NC3D is talking to the AR-PB2 or I wouldn't get any response to the Print NIC Page command from the front panel.

Thanks again.

bilyahn
04-12-2011, 01:45 AM
You will need to reset the NIC card in your printer options then go back and change your IP address, subnet and gateway back to what you want. You can let the machine configure with DHCP to see if it is communicating properly. Crossover cable is the way to work it with a laptop , any cable with a network. Try to access the machines web page once you have it set up. If you are setting up the print driver you need to use RAW with port 10001 or it will not work.

Good luck.

Bil

drankinatty
04-12-2011, 03:26 AM
You will need to reset the NIC card in your printer options then go back and change your IP address, subnet and gateway back to what you want. You can let the machine configure with DHCP to see if it is communicating properly. Crossover cable is the way to work it with a laptop , any cable with a network. Try to access the machines web page once you have it set up. If you are setting up the print driver you need to use RAW with port 10001 or it will not work.

Bil,
Good luck.

Bil

Thank you. That's one thing I haven't tried. A week ago when this thread began, I had taken the advice of using the jumper on the NC3D to set everything back to 'Fact' factory settings, and then just configured it from the front panel. But, I haven't used the reset in the print options.

You say web interface? The M355N I have has one, but I didn't know this one had one as well. I was wondering what the printer driver interfaced with from a setting standpoint.

So once I get this going, I should have something at http://ip.for.the.copier:10001/ ? I'll give it a go tomorrow and report back.

Currently, the "Print NIC Page" shows the following Novell Network Information:

Print Server Name: Sharp
Password Defined: No
Preferred Server Name: LALLIER_SRV
Directory Server Tree: LALLIER_SF
Directory Server Context: LALLIER_SF
Frame Type: 802.2 on 802.3

How/where do I change the netware information? From the manuals, it looks like the only interface is through the printer driver. Anywhere else?

Thanks again.

drankinatty
04-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Hah! The web interface does work! (kinda slow though) I have been able too go through all the settings (since this is a 505, there is no NS1 scanner). The printer says it is ready to print, but I can't figure out how to install the printer drivers on XP. Here is the web interface showing it's ready:

http://phoenix.rlfpllc.com/dl/office/copiers/Sharp_AR-505/sharp-ar-505-web-status.pdf

I have tried to install the printer as http://192.168.7.22/ and http://192.168.7.22:10001/, but XP keeps saying it can't find the printer. Ping works fine:

[11:30 phoenix:/home/samba/rankin/office/hdw/copiers/Sharp_AR-505/drivers/xp] # ping 192.168.7.22
PING 192.168.7.22 (192.168.7.22) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.7.22: icmp_req=1 ttl=60 time=3.88 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.7.22: icmp_req=2 ttl=60 time=3.94 ms

The copier did spit out a couple of pages in response to both 'GET' and 'POST' requests. The POST request shows it thinks it's a printer. Here is what was on the page:

POST / HTTP/1.1
Content-Type: application/ipp
User-Agent: Internet Print Provider
Host: 192.168.7.22:10001
Content-Length: 117
Connection: Keep-Alive
Cache-Control: no-cache

That all looks good. So I guess the remaining challenge is to get the drivers installed (PCL5e, PS or PCL6) -- no real preference, PS is fine. I have to make it talk to 3 different operating systems: XP, Vista and Linux. Anybody have a cheat-sheet on how to get the windows drivers installed? (I have all the drivers, I just can't get the Add-Printer wizard to see the printer so I can tell it to use the driver I have -- that's where I'm stuck) I can figure the Linux/CUPS interface out.

Thanks again for any advice you may have here :)

drankinatty
04-12-2011, 09:34 PM
I'll be darn. I got the Sharp AR-505 configured to print via the CUPS server. The key was finding this old IBM document that showed the AR-PB2a (sharp AR-505) talked a PCL5e data stream showing you could simply use HP Laserjet 4 drivers to talk to it and also showing it handled old LPR printing. See:

IBM - Information on Printers from Sharp (http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas154255e0ec5a3c13f862569c10075dd b4)

On the Linux server, I configured the CUPS interface as:

ipp://ip.to.the.copeir/lp

and just set the driver to HP Laserjet 4 (foomatic/ljet4). I sent the test page and after the couple of minute warm up cycle, the test page popped right out. (right margin needs adjusting). See:

http://phoenix.rlfpllc.com/dl/office/copiers/Sharp_AR-505/ar-505-cups-test-page.pdf

Thanks for all your help. I know it works now. I can tweak the driver and the margin. Glad to know the Linux printing works -- now just to get the windows side working and we're done :)

blackcat4866
04-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Try this driver:
Sharp AR-505 Driver Download (http://www.nodevice.com/driver/AR-505/get42203.html)

Most Sharp machines require an upgrade to print PostScript. They will print PCL5e standard.

You will not be able to use many of the advanced features using an HP LJ4 driver. I am not a fan of using inappropriate drivers. We've got a situation like this in our office. We're running an application that is not too friendly to setting up printers, so when our machine was sold we installed a similar machine on the same IP that's PCLXL compatible. Some of the advanced features give ... unpredictable results. =^..^=

Custom Search