PDA

View Full Version : MX4100 - Cannot scan to folder (SMB or FTP). Scan to mail fine.

Custom Search

hammer
04-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Hi All, this is either going to be a simple fix or a nightmare.
I have 2 * MX4100's on the same site that i cannot get to scan to a network folder - FTP or SMB. I even tried Sharpdesk as a last resort. Just to add to the mix, when i connect a crossover cable from my laptop to the copier, i am still unable to scan to folder!! So that rules the network out!
Scan to mail is fine and has been operational since day one. It seems that something within the devices is restricting scan to folder! Latest firmware is on. System settings were reset. Security settings from a showroom machine were uploaded. I am considering reseting the NIC, then possibly swapping the controller (to revert back to a basic setting). Does anyone have any suggestions?

bdcrandall13
04-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Can you post a screenshot of the network settings and address book entries? You didn't give a lot of specific information on what you have done to try to get it to work. What type of network is it? Is there a firewall involved? It could be a hardware problem, but that is very rare. Especially since scan to email works fine. There is a lot of things that could be explored before swapping cards. If you could give some more info I might be able to help you out a little more.

wtroll
04-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Hi,
what kind of error give you the MFP (CE-00, CE-02...) or (server/folder not found)?
What OS are you working on?

hammer
04-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks guys. When we set up the network path we get an error saying CE-00. The network paths are fine. We have similar sites that run scan to mail and scan to folder in conjunction. For test purposes, we inputted the wrong path and got an error saying invalid directory - which you would expect. We corrected this and input the wrong username/password and got an authentication error. Again, all normal. Its when all settings are correct, we get CE-00. The client OS is Windows Server 2003. However, my laptop, which has no firewall restrictions, is running XP. When i use the crossover cable directly into the copier i get the exact same issues and errors. Running the crossover completely rules out the client network. I doubt its a hardware issue, seeing as two machines are doing it. It is as if something has been enabled/disabled in the machine settings which we cannot locate.

wtroll
04-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Ok, I had this issue on a MX2300 and OS WinXp.
Also in my case the folder path and user name/password were right.
The problem was a writing permissions on that folder. IT gave me user name/password that were right to access to the folder but could not write anything on it.
I suggest you to create a new user on your laptop (called "sharp" with passw "sharp") and give it administration privileges.
Create a new shared folder into your shared documents than add the user "sharp" and give it all writing/reading permissions to that folder.

About SharpDesk: I never had problem using SharpDesk (never had CE-00 or CE-02 errors), but NEVER try to install it on a OS WinServer! It is only a client software.

Good luck.

hammer
04-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks Wtroll. After having no success scanning to the network folder, i used sharpdesk locally (would never out it on a server). This is such a weird issue. I connected my laptop, set up a new folder, gave full permissions (everything that is normally done) and still the same issue. To add insult to injury, i got Sharp's own tech support guys to remote into the site and he couldn't get it configured, even by creating a local admin user. I will do as you suggest and create a new user with admin rights, but i have never had an issue with the laptop before. Thanks again.

sck
04-07-2011, 01:44 PM
have you tried adding the domain name infront of the username for the folder scan ?
yourdomain/Username .

hammer
04-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks sck, but that is done. As i was saying earlier, the paths are undoubtedly correct (famous last words). I can scan to my laptop to any scan folder that i set up without issue. Even moving away from SMB, FTP wont work through Sharpdesk. Very weird. I really think it is somethng enabled/disabled but cannot find out what. Hence, i am trying to reset ( the network side of) the device.

Lawrence
04-07-2011, 09:07 PM
You could try going into the NIC page in admin mode and do a factory reset on the NIC
Then enter serivce mode and run 67-17 (NV Ram clear) which will do a printer clear and should wipe out any user entered settings.

hammer
04-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks Lawrence, i think thats where i need to go with this. I'll keep you posted.

kantosq
07-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Hi guys, I got posted to this new site that has this printer in use. i must confess this is the first time i'm working with this particular machine and I have to figure out how it works as the previous IT support guy was unavailable to put me through. Scan to emails are fine. adding a new email address to the address book is fine. scan to network folder is also fine for the already existing users.

I added a new laptop that runs a win7-64bit OS to the network. I have done the required config to enable it print and receive scan from the machine(mx-4100n) and it works fine. but the challenge here is how to save the network folder address on the printer so i dont have to manually enter it every time i need to scan to the computer.

Akitu
07-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Hi guys, I got posted to this new site that has this printer in use. i must confess this is the first time i'm working with this particular machine and I have to figure out how it works as the previous IT support guy was unavailable to put me through. Scan to emails are fine. adding a new email address to the address book is fine. scan to network folder is also fine for the already existing users.

I added a new laptop that runs a win7-64bit OS to the network. I have done the required config to enable it print and receive scan from the machine(mx-4100n) and it works fine. but the challenge here is how to save the network folder address on the printer so i dont have to manually enter it every time i need to scan to the computer.

First off, HOLY NECRO THREAD.

Now that that's out of the way... Using the web page you should be able to save a network folder address in the address book. When adding a user, change address type from e-mail to network folder and fill in all required info. Hope that helps.

teklife256
03-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Im curious what the final solution was to your issue. This would definetly shed some light on future issues!

Dustin(WOP)
03-19-2013, 03:17 AM
I have had a few machines that refused to work to smb or FTP until I used the IP in the path. Not sure what causes this but same as your case crossover cable wouldn't even work until using IP instead of computer name.

patf
03-19-2013, 01:00 PM
I have had a few machines that refused to work to smb or FTP until I used the IP in the path. Not sure what causes this but same as your case crossover cable wouldn't even work until using IP instead of computer name.

Did you go into the network adapter settings and make sure that NetBIOS over tcp/ip.is enabled? It should tell you if it's disabled on your up ipconfig . I'f that's not on it won't go to the device name.

Custom Search