PDA

View Full Version : C353 Fuser Reset - Life Expectancy?

Custom Search

DaveK
05-23-2011, 10:54 PM
First off, thanks to this forum and all the info I've been able to gather from everyone here.

I've got a C353 at my office that is coming up for a fuser swap. I know you can replace the fuse in it to "trick" the unit into thinking it's been replaced, but I've read before that the fuser units don't last much beyond their 400k expectancy...then again I've seen people reset them without issue.

We're all in a budget crunch at the office, and was just looking to see if it's worth the effort to do the fuse swap and let this one run some more.

pepper38_cnd
05-24-2011, 01:48 AM
Refusing is not that big of issue ( the average life ex-tendency can be from 25% to 100% depending on application). If everything is working fine that is what I would recommend. But if you have the budget to replace the fuser and you don't want the hassle of refusing then go ahead and replace the whole thing .

emujo
05-24-2011, 02:06 PM
IMO...refusing the fuser and x-fer belts at least once is acceptable, I would not even attempt to re-chip the IUs though. Be sure that you are using the correctly rated fuse as you can blow the Printer CB very easily with the x-fer belt fuse (not that I've ever done it...) Emujo

DaveK
05-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Refusing is not that big of issue ( the average life ex-tendency can be from 25% to 100% depending on application). If everything is working fine that is what I would recommend. But if you have the budget to replace the fuser and you don't want the hassle of refusing then go ahead and replace the whole thing.

Refusing isn't a hassle for me. I've got a solid electronics background, but I noticed the "expected life" of the unit is 400k, and I'm at 375k and it's complaining to be replaced. It is working fine now and not wrinkling paper as of yet. We average 750-1000 prints a day, 5 days a week, out of this unit, but most of it is invoices and reports that are low coverage (3%-5%).

As for the budget, everyone is cost conscious these days, and we are no exception. I'd like to get what I can out of the existing unit before having to spend $600 or so on a new one. Especially if I'm 25k under my "expected" service life.

IMO...refusing the fuser and x-fer belts at least once is acceptable, I would not even attempt to re-chip the IUs though. Be sure that you are using the correctly rated fuse as you can blow the Printer CB very easily with the x-fer belt fuse (not that I've ever done it...) Emujo

The x-fer belt I deemed inexpensive enough to just replace when it says it's time to do so. I guess I never thought about refusing it. Of course, when this one comes up I might think of trying that before dropping the near $300 on it.

Odd you'd mention the IUs. I previously (long while back) asked about it and got a pretty much universal response that it's not a bad idea to re-chip or reset the units as they'll usually run at least once over their expected life span. In fact, I've already re-chipped two sets of IUs on two units here and it's been with great success. I do know you have to be careful where you get your chips from, and honestly if I had the budget I'd buy one of nice re-setters I've seen for sale here. If you save one set of imaging units the pays for itself. Anything after that is gravy.

-

Thanks everyone for the input, I always like to get ideas from here before I go tooling around on the units here at my office. Ever since we got screwed by our copier service vendor I've been stuck maintaining these myself until it's economically viable to have someone else do it. This forum has been an invaluable resource for me. A lot has changed since I used to work on copiers 10+ years ago.

pepper38_cnd
05-24-2011, 11:41 PM

Reseting the OEM IU is not only a good idea it almost the norm with most authorized dealers, and I have not heard of any real issues except with second party chips. Maybe emujo can elaborate on the issues he has had?

JustManuals
05-25-2011, 01:44 AM
This Parts & Service manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from
Just Manuals | The Internet's largest selection of manuals | Instant Downloads (http://www.justmanuals.com)

Paul@justmanuals.com

Custom Search