PDA

View Full Version : Oki ES3640 Communication error

Custom Search

kjc
08-24-2007, 06:54 PM
My customer has an Oki Es3640 when you power on you get the message initialising please wait 5 minutes.
after around 4 minutes the message communication error appears on the screen.
I have looked for the obvious all connections are good the fuser is getting warm all cvers are closed.
Any advise Please.

leo34staffs
08-25-2007, 12:03 AM
Communication error? is it a 3640 with a scanner? if so the usb lead is either unplugged or loose. Its a bit vague is that all it shows on the screen but, if it has the scanner board in, that may be the prob. hope this helps

jahpe
03-15-2008, 09:25 PM
THere is a failure in the hard drive, or the EFI software is corrupted. You will have to replace the hard drive either way and that should fix the problem.

blackcat4866
03-15-2008, 10:01 PM
I agree with leo34staffs. The cable from the scanner to the engine can get damaged when moving, and won't stay plugged in. This cable looks exactly like a standard VGA monitor cable with 1 additional conductor. You can pay Oki $150 bucks for a cable, or you can use a standard 15 pin VGA monitor cable for $3.50! The (1) additional conductor doesn't make any difference.

If you had a Communication Code number I might be able to give a better answer.

=^..^=

jahpe
03-22-2008, 12:12 AM
ni it is a failure of the Controller boards talking to each other. It can be a failure, but as I have seen this problem before, it is almost certainly the hard drive.

JustManuals
03-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Well accroding to the service manual, its going to need a board replacement.

HtH
Paul@justmanuals.com

DallasTech
04-02-2008, 02:35 PM
I've never replaced any boards for those problems and we have a few 3640's in the field. Oki knows it's a design issue and turning the machine off, then restarting it after reconnecting all the cables should fix it. We have replaced some cables, but Oki always gave us replacements. That is the number one problem on these machines and the new 3641's use two DVI connectors not the USB and vga connectors of last generation.

JRCS
07-04-2008, 11:42 AM
We cloned the HDD from a working known one and the copier gave me software not authorized 002, what am I doing wrong??
Please help!!

DallasTech
07-05-2008, 04:52 PM
I've never tried to clone the hard drive, but Oki technical support is where I would turn to in this situation. If you changed boards, there is an eeprom chip (on main board) that you have to move. I have seen that cause a software not authorized error.

JRCS
07-07-2008, 03:32 PM
We took the HDD from a working ES3640, and installed it on the non working one, the Oki worked perfect, then bougth new HDD, cloned it with known good one, installed on the Oki, but now copier says software not authorized..., put good HDD back in Oki, copier works fine again, is there a place where I can get the EFI software?
or a place that I can get the HDD with the right operating system? how much????
I didnt change any boards, all we did was exchage HDD to see if it would solve the problem, and it did but now we have 2 Okis with 1 HDD.

Thank you, for any help...

JRCS

DallasTech
07-07-2008, 03:38 PM
I would call the Oki Dealer Support Hotline. 1866 654 1725.

JRCS
07-07-2008, 05:01 PM
We are not Oki authorized dealers.
But do need to get the HDD.
Any other Ideas???

Thank you!!

JRCS

unlimitedbt
04-06-2011, 01:40 AM
Hello everyone. Guys I have a several OKI ES-3640e machines.
few of them do not recognize the toner cartridges, as I learned from the web forums - it needs firmware update - can someone share the file please?
Also 3 machines came without HDD at all - thanks for a new law I guess, we had purchased exactly same HDD's and cloned them on special device from a good working HDD but it says "Unauthorized something" - how that can be fixed please? I know on Canons, you can connect to the machine with the blank HDD and write Software on it from the PC, is there similar procedure on OKI? Please help! I am willing to compensate your assistance. Please PM me or Email UnlimitedBT@yahoo.com
Thank you.
Roman.

DallasTech
04-06-2011, 02:31 AM
Roman,

The OKI isn't so easy. The problem with the harddrive is that it has the Fiery software (Linux OS) on the harddrive. I could be wrong, but I think the only way to get what you need is to order the preimaged hard drive from OKI. To flash firmware on these machines OKI uses a USB thumbdrive and a jumper flipped on the main board. PM me a serial number and I can try calling OKI and see what they say.

unlimitedbt
04-06-2011, 05:45 AM
Thank you Mr. Dallas Tech, I will check serial number and reply.
Let me ask you please- we had successfully cloned many Canon HDD, say 95% worked, why can't I clone OKI? Would you know?
If I must buy one, where can I get it without giving up my underwear? I mean lets say Canon IR3320 - a $6000 - 7000 machine, HDD cost me $125 from canon dealer, OKI was skyrocking.
Thank you for your help.
Roman.

d2p group
09-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Hi i found your info about this machine just wondering how you got on about fixing the problem.
I also have the same error on my machine. I will be much appriciated if you can share any info on this matter.
Thank you very much.

d2p group
09-08-2011, 02:39 PM
My customer has an Oki Es3640 when you power on you get the message initialising please wait 5 minutes.
after around 4 minutes the message communication error appears on the screen.
I have looked for the obvious all connections are good the fuser is getting warm all cvers are closed.
Any advise Please. Is there any one who have experienced this similar problem. Any help advice will be much appriciated.
Many Thanks.

wavemp
04-12-2015, 08:41 PM
Please, has anyone fixed the problem ? :confused:
Is it necessary to buy a new hd from Oki ?
I think that after i payed $10.000 for this printer, a new hd for $500 is too much.
Why ? For the copy write of the software that i have payed when i bought the printer ?
No ! This is a theft ! :mad:
Please, tell me how did you fixed the problem ! :o

unlimitedbt
04-13-2015, 01:41 AM
Hi, unfortunately as frustrating as it seems, there is no fix for that issue other than replacing the HDD. I did spent enormous effort trying to figure out the solution. I went as far as purchasing precisely same HDD and tried to copy healthy HDD on it using industrial grade HDD duplication equipment, Installed LINUX Ubuntu and tried the same with it - no success. Later when discussed this matter with computer industry professionals opinion was expressed that Software on HDD checks S/N of HDD and/or S/N of EPROM on it. If there is a mismatch - won't work. What I learned so far that HDD fails on these units from improper shutdowns and if power fails while HDD has information on it (say, a user ctotal ripoffan't clear paper jam error and powercycles the machine - I've seen this done many times)
So, I guess the only thing you can do is call OKI and express your opinion about your situation, whatever leaded to HDD fail is a matter for different discussion but $500+ for stinken $40 HDD is total ripoff

wavemp
06-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Thank you very much for reply.
Do you known where can i buy this HDD ?

jose antonio
06-09-2015, 03:49 PM
Hi, I had this same issue with an OKI CX3641 MFP,.. after calling oki they advised me to replace the HDD witch i did.. i ordered the HDD from Senecadata.com, an authorized OKI dealer, cost: USD 500.00, but unfortunately when i installed the new HDD i got the same error again "communication error" so i contacted oki again, they told me then the next step is to replace the PCB cost: USD 1750.00 :mad: these prices are ridiculous high for an discontinued machine.

So i decided to buy another machine, 2nd hand and slightly used for that same PCB price.

And now after using the machine for some time, i am having another error msg; incompatible toners, and the ready lamp won't come on, all toners are genuine OKI.

I got this msg after doing a calibration in service mode, and also changed the OKI user settings to OEMA in System maintenance OKI user.

The reason i changed to OEMA is because the printer did not accept letter size from bypass when using the PS driver only.

I did not see any warning in the service manual for not to do the change, i tried to get it back to the default settings but the msg stayed.

Any ideas on how to fix this?:confused:

Jose Antonio

chivozx
05-23-2016, 05:05 PM
Hello,

I managed to clone a HDD of OKI ES3640e and it works. My problem was that "Initializing" remained and could not print.

The method I followed is with a laptop and CDLive of CloneZillla. There are many manuals on how to use on Internet.

Any questions do not hesitate to ask.

###--------------------------------------------------###

Hola,

He conseguido clonar un HDD de una OKI ES3640e y funciona. Mi problema era que se quedaba "Inicializando" y no podia imprimir.

El metodo que he seguido es hacerlo con un portatil y el CDlive de CloneZillla. Hay muchos manuales en internet de como usarlo.

Cualquier duda no dudeis en preguntarme.

centrodeformacionjavea
10-16-2017, 09:56 AM
Hello,

I managed to clone a HDD of OKI ES3640e and it works. My problem was that "Initializing" remained and could not print.

The method I followed is with a laptop and CDLive of CloneZillla. There are many manuals on how to use on Internet.

Any questions do not hesitate to ask.

###--------------------------------------------------###

Hola,

He conseguido clonar un HDD de una OKI ES3640e y funciona. Mi problema era que se quedaba "Inicializando" y no podia imprimir.

El metodo que he seguido es hacerlo con un portatil y el CDlive de CloneZillla. Hay muchos manuales en internet de como usarlo.

Cualquier duda no dudeis en preguntarme.

Hola, sería posible obtener la imagen que utilizaste del disco duro? Mi impresora se queda tambien Inicializando y no termina de cargar.
Gracias

unlimitedbt
10-17-2017, 02:33 AM
Copying the HDD does not work. It is possible that Software looks at S/N of the HDD when booting so if different HDD is used, it will have a different S/N.
Your best bet would be getting a used, working HDD off the ebay when becomes available or something like that and in the future always turn the machine off VIA power button first, don't just shut flip down the switch. This goes the same way even you're got an error message, hold that button till machine shuts down.

centrodeformacionjavea
10-17-2017, 08:35 AM
Hello.
You mean to buy a generic hard disk? or a hard disk from another printer?
Will be possible to clone the (theoretical) damaged disk to another generic hard disk?
I always turn off the printer holding the button till shutdown message apears.
Thanks.

centrodeformacionjavea
11-23-2017, 08:33 AM
Hello. I made a reset of this printer and now it starts ok. The problem now is an error message 615, 616, 617 ,618 "imcompatible toner". I didn't changed the toners and they are originals. I tried to change the black one for another original and the problem is the same. I tried to change the okiuser options between oda, oel.... and disabling the toner sensor and the problem remains... Can anybody help with this?
Thanks

JRCS
11-23-2017, 02:17 PM
Hello. I made a reset of this printer and now it starts ok. The problem now is an error message 615, 616, 617 ,618 "imcompatible toner". I didn't changed the toners and they are originals. I tried to change the black one for another original and the problem is the same. I tried to change the okiuser options between oda, oel.... and disabling the toner sensor and the problem remains... Can anybody help with this?
Thanks

La unica forma de reparar la maquina es cambiando el HDD, no se por que no se puede clonear es HDD, como dijeron en anteriormente - nesecitas otro HDD original cuesta $425.00 - trata de comseguir uno de ebay.

JRCS (http://copierservicemn.com/)

centrodeformacionjavea
11-23-2017, 03:30 PM
La unica forma de reparar la maquina es cambiando el HDD, no se por que no se puede clonear es HDD, como dijeron en anteriormente - nesecitas otro HDD original cuesta $425.00 - trata de comseguir uno de ebay.

JRCS (http://copierservicemn.com/)
Lo que hice fue entrar en el menú de servicio (creo que se llama así) con las teclas arriba-abajo y help presionadas al arrancar. En ese menu hice un reset del servidor y arranco bien... de hecho hice varias fotocopias perfectamente. Pero al apagarla por la noche y volver a encenderla el dia siguiente me salen los errores de toner incompatible.

En cualquier caso si encontrara un disco duro, serviria? Más arriba en este hilo hablan de que tiene que tener el mismo numero de serie o algo asi...
Gracias

Jluxster
10-05-2019, 10:25 PM
I have just picked up a CX 3641 with this problem. I had the idea of running a disc repair utility on it. And I will post here if that is successful.

Other than paying $500 to OKI there's still no fix for this right?

jose antonio
10-06-2019, 10:42 AM
I have just picked up a CX 3641 with this problem. I had the idea of running a disc repair utility on it. And I will post here if that is successful.

Other than paying $500 to OKI there's still no fix for this right?

Hi..let me know your findings..i have two of these units in storage with similar problems

Hope i can fix at least one of them..i like their copy quality and build in fiery driver

Jluxster
10-07-2019, 07:39 PM
Antonio, do you have the disc image file of your OKI hard drive? Would you possibly be willing to share it? I contacted OKI, and replacent HDD are no longer available.

Jluxster

jose antonio
10-09-2019, 03:28 AM
Antonio, do you have the disc image file of your OKI hard drive? Would you possibly be willing to share it? I contacted OKI, and replacent HDD are no longer available.

Jluxster

Jluxter,
No i don,t have it
What i have done back in 2016 is, order a new HDD from Senecadata , an authorized Oki dealer
But unfortunately this did not solve my problem ( communication error) and when i did contact them back i was advised to replace the main board next , cost USD 1700,00
So now i have two defective units stored in warehouse

Jluxster
10-11-2019, 04:54 AM
Final update on my CX3641 with communication error is that the error code spontaneously resolved after many power cycles. However the unit still had fatal error 128:06 and 144 flashing so I decided to trash it. I'm posting each of the parts on eBay this week so someone can buy my HDD w/fiery board and EEPROM chips to try and get their unit back online.

Custom Search