PDA

View Full Version : Toner Warning set to "service"

Custom Search

JR2ALTA
09-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Trying to take more control from a certain customer. Anyone know what message appears when you set "Toner Life Warning" to "Service" instead of "User".

Thanks in advance

habik
09-29-2011, 11:09 PM
Q1: What machine?
Q2: Do you know how to get to service mode?
Q3: Read again, what you wrote and you'll find your answer ;)

When toner runs out it will pop your number on display if you have set one up.

JR2ALTA
09-30-2011, 12:40 AM
This is a C450, but all machines have the User, Service option.

Drum/Fuser/Transfer are defaulted to Service, but they don't display our number. It just says to replace unit soon and eventually locks up.

My goal is to lock the machine up when the toner is low. I was thinking switching to Service might be the trick.

It's a large company with many users, the owners requested a more prominent toner warning display.

blackcat4866
09-30-2011, 01:13 AM
That will do what you want, but ... you'll get a service call condition every time the customer needs toner. Is that what you really want? =^..^=

JR2ALTA
09-30-2011, 02:28 AM
It's what the key operator wants, it's kind of a "mine is not to question why" situation.

But technically, the key operator should be able to install the toner, thereby clearing the message. Correct? Because the drum/fuser/transfer are defaulted to "Service" but there is nothing special we do beyond replacement or re-chipping.

blackcat4866
09-30-2011, 02:34 AM
Correct. The customer can still change the toner by exactly the same method as before. You just get the red "Call For Service..." screen.

Is the idea to prevent endusers from continuing to run the machine after "Add Toner" is displayed, de-toning the developer? =^..^=

JR2ALTA
09-30-2011, 02:45 AM
Yes. That is what the customer is convinced is happening. It's literally a life and death situation. They supply meds for nursing homes and their charts are color coded.

habik
09-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Yes. That is what the customer is convinced is happening. It's literally a life and death situation. They supply meds for nursing homes and their charts are color coded.

In That case, I have better Idea.

Switch ON (SMTP TX) email reporting of toner low and add toner to this "Operator" email, whose responsibility is to change the toner or perhaps make sure you have also "low toner" email sent to your base so your folks have a proof that machine was asking for it, and you reacted in time, so their machine has plenty of supply too. And it will be a solely responsibility of the Operator to make sure he reads his emails.

Good Luck.

Custom Search