PDA

View Full Version : What's the recommendation for how many levels on firmware update?

Custom Search

Motormount
11-03-2011, 09:45 PM
I have not found this documented anywhere, and have been given conflicting information on this. Should the base firmware be brought up one level at a time, or just jump to the latest? like in the case of a C451, from J8 to R6? There must be some cases that this is not possible.
Also, should the base firmware always be installed before adding any special firmware?
Thanks for your input.

907tec
11-03-2011, 11:03 PM
This stuff is all explained in the pdf readme file that comes with each f/w release. There is no single answer to this question, though: the precise upgrade path depends entirely upon the model of machine you are working on, the existing firmware version level, and the level of the new firmware. It is absolutely essential to read all of the notes that are issued with each new firmware. In your case, looking at the R6 readme file, in the "Upgrade Procedure to this Version" section:

J8/R4/R5 are all "I-Option 2" versions of firmware, same as the new R6. This means that in this particular case, you do not have to install any intermediate firmware versions.

As for Base versus Special firmware...they don't explain that one too well. From what I've seen, they usually give notes in the "functional restrictions" area of the readme, so that is worth checking out.

tl;dr : Read the Readme.

Motormount
11-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have brought this question up with every KM tech I know, and always get vague answers.
That is pretty much the premise I was working with as far as base firmware - sometimes the PDF gets pretty confusing to me, working on KM just a couple of years, and having to figure out " Version2" and "Version 3", and "10" is version 2 in softswitch setting 25, and "20" is version 3. I think they'd be able to make it a bit more logical and less cryptic.
As for the special firmware, many times the file is very small in comparison to the base, so I install the base before the special. A colleague said I could install the special firmware without the base when the file size was comparable - I should point out he seems to have a lot of trouble with firmware updates.
I just brought up the subject with another tech, and he concurs with what you posted.
Thanks again.

Custom Search