PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub 550 scanning error

Custom Search

dan231
11-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Does anyone have a fix or at least have the same problem as I do?

I have 2 550's and neither one scans to ftp. Konica/Minolta techs have been out many times and the best they can tell me is there is a issue with the fiery or the controller.

The 550 will not keep a connection with our network. Once scan will connect fine then the next scan I get a network can not be found error. I power down, but then it's a total crap shoot if the copier comes back online with the network up. What does work is using the ping utility on the copier to reestablish the network connection , but then it connects only 1 in 10.

It wasn't a big deal before as we didn't use these for scanning all that much, but now we have a project starting in which we need to have the scanner working.

Dan

random
11-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Is your IP static or DHCP on the fiery? Do you have the DNS set in the machine - DNS is not critical to FTP but for some strange reason it can cause problems, how big is your network?

If your IP is static use a laptop and set it to the same IP plug the network cable that is currently going into the machine into your laptop and ping the ftp server you are trying to connect to. If it is DHCP (nobody does this) just plug in a laptop and ping.

To check the ftp service on the server in cmd type 'telnet ipaddress 21' and see if it connects.

Juggy
11-02-2007, 11:53 AM
I can can assume what could be the problem . Check the Switch speed , PC NIC speed to which you are scanning or pinging. if they are all 100 or 10 MPs you should make you nic card speed manually to 10 or 100 not auto switch. Hope this might help you to sort the problem.

dan231
11-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Is your IP static or DHCP on the fiery? Do you have the DNS set in the machine - DNS is not critical to FTP but for some strange reason it can cause problems, how big is your network?

If your IP is static use a laptop and set it to the same IP plug the network cable that is currently going into the machine into your laptop and ping the ftp server you are trying to connect to. If it is DHCP (nobody does this) just plug in a laptop and ping.

To check the ftp service on the server in cmd type 'telnet ipaddress 21' and see if it connects.

The IP is static on the fiery. Actually the Konica techs has 3 IP's assinged to this copier: the fiery, the controller and then the machine itself.

We have 4 other Konica bizhubs that connect to the same FTP server with out any issue. We have tried to use a laptop as an ftp server and it connects fine as long as the laptop is in direct connection with the copier, if it goes through our network the same issue happens. The telnet to ftp is successful.

dan231
11-02-2007, 01:56 PM
I can can assume what could be the problem . Check the Switch speed , PC NIC speed to which you are scanning or pinging. if they are all 100 or 10 MPs you should make you nic card speed manually to 10 or 100 not auto switch. Hope this might help you to sort the problem.

We have tried so many things and I think this was one of them, but at this point I am willing to retry any idea. So I will give this a try.

Juggy
11-02-2007, 02:17 PM
The new fiery comes with a 1000 NIC card, thats the reason i asked you to try changing or switchin the NIC to 100 and try, again the patch cable connecting to the NIC should be Cat6 cable or 5e

dan231
11-02-2007, 02:23 PM
The new fiery comes with a 1000 NIC card, thats the reason i asked you to try changing or switchin the NIC to 100 and try, again the patch cable connecting to the NIC should be Cat6 cable or 5e

I did not know that, thanks!

The techs added a 10/100 switch to the network wall jack so they could split the connection to the fiery, controller and machine, otherwise (after your info about the 1000 NIC) I was thinking about connecting the back end cable to our 1000 Switch, but since it's going through the 10/100 switch first I don't think that would help any.

dan231
11-02-2007, 02:44 PM
It was set to 100mbs full duplex. I changed it to 100mbs half duplex.

Another bit I forgot to add is that if I use the ping utility to ping the ftp server it never connects, but I can sometimes reestablish the connection by pining our gateway. Once that pings ok, it'll connect to the ftp server.

This is what I did after I changed to half duplex. I'll test the connection again in an hour or so. By that time the machine will have gone to sleep mode and that usually kills the connection as well.

dan231
11-02-2007, 02:56 PM

I think I may have misread this...I should change the FTP NIC?
It is set to auto, but it is on the 1gb switch. I don't want to go down to 100.

random
11-02-2007, 09:14 PM
It is the switch you have added to the network that is causing the problem. Plug ONLY the fiery into the wall socket (use the machine to fiery method not machine and fiery to switch method). And see if that works. I have had an instance where I have done similar and due to conflict in the switch it has taken out the network connection on the other side of a building!

dan231
11-02-2007, 09:18 PM
It is the switch you have added to the network that is causing the problem. Plug ONLY the fiery into the wall socket (use the machine to fiery method not machine and fiery to switch method). And see if that works. I have had an instance where I have done similar and due to conflict in the switch it has taken out the network connection on the other side of a building!

We were having this issue before they put the switch in place. The switch was Konica's fix at the time. I called them today and they told me the next step is to try to remove/bypass the fiery and see if that does anything.

Should I try a different switch in the computer room?

random
11-02-2007, 09:30 PM
To make 100% sure load a ftp server (like filezilla or typsoft ftp) on your laptop and and plug your laptop into the switch and see if you get the same amount of failures. Also check firewall settings on all ftp servers turn them off for testing.

If there is still an issue, I would say the machine has a fault.

dan231
11-02-2007, 09:34 PM
To make 100% sure load a ftp server (like filezilla or typsoft ftp) on your laptop and and plug your laptop into the switch and see if you get the same amount of failures. Also check firewall settings on all ftp servers turn them off for testing.

If there is still an issue, I would say the machine has a fault.

I can try the laptop idea - thanks!

If it is faulty, then we have 2 that are faulty. Both of our 550's do this. I had thought is was a machine problem from day one as we have no issue with our other 4 bizhubs, but they are different models.

Scott_Lewis
11-03-2007, 04:05 AM
I'll bet if you moved one of your 'good' machines to where you 'bad' machine is and used the same network connections, you would have the same problems.

I've had problems with the switches in the wiring closet so many times, that is one of the first things I eliminate when I start to scratch my head over network problems.

Have the network administrator swap ports on the switch for you. Ideally, the ports used by a 'good' and 'bad' copier can be swapped for testing purposes.

The causes of the problem at the switch have never really crystalized for me. Anything from a just plain bad port to different settings on the port of a managed switch.

dan231
11-05-2007, 01:56 PM
I'll bet if you moved one of your 'good' machines to where you 'bad' machine is and used the same network connections, you would have the same problems.

I've had problems with the switches in the wiring closet so many times, that is one of the first things I eliminate when I start to scratch my head over network problems.

Have the network administrator swap ports on the switch for you. Ideally, the ports used by a 'good' and 'bad' copier can be swapped for testing purposes.

The causes of the problem at the switch have never really crystalized for me. Anything from a just plain bad port to different settings on the port of a managed switch.

That is a good idea, however, these bad machines are replacements for the good ones. The bad ones are using the exact same ports and wiring that the good ones used ad we never had an issue with them.

Scott_Lewis
11-06-2007, 05:03 AM
That is a good idea, however, these bad machines are replacements for the good ones. The bad ones are using the exact same ports and wiring that the good ones used ad we never had an issue with them.

What's left? :confused:

Have you done a thorough comparison of the network configuration pages between the 'good' and 'bad' machines? Might turn up something. Firmare version differences? Are there security settings on the network that require the MAC addresses to be authenticated. Devices on the network can and do block unknown devices (MACs).

dan231
11-06-2007, 03:33 PM
What's left? :confused:

Have you done a thorough comparison of the network configuration pages between the 'good' and 'bad' machines? Might turn up something. Firmare version differences? Are there security settings on the network that require the MAC addresses to be authenticated. Devices on the network can and do block unknown devices (MACs).

Well it turns out that Konica / Minolta released 2 patches last week. A tech was in last night, uploaded these and so far we have not had a reoccurance of the scan issue.

austcat
06-03-2008, 06:13 AM
Well it turns out that Konica / Minolta released 2 patches last week. A tech was in last night, uploaded these and so far we have not had a reoccurance of the scan issue.

Does anyone know what the Konica reference for these patches is?

We have a C550 with this problem, and we've been down the whole "check the network/settings" route.

It's the only one of our C550s which has this behavior :confused:

Our local Konica office hasn't heard of any FTP patches ...

Thanks in advance.

dan231
06-03-2008, 01:26 PM
We were told by our technician that there was those patches released directly from Japan.

Custom Search