PDA

View Full Version : konica c350 scan to email

Custom Search

aubrey78
11-02-2007, 02:46 PM
for a konica minolta c350
scan to email worked great for the first 2 years of using. One day, the emails were not coming through. then a few hours later, came through. this happened for a few weeks, then stopped completely. An error message showed. a series of things were done, new firmware, nov ram, everything under the sun. No changes were made to the network, same email carrier and internet, using outlook express 2000. The computer person has evaluated all the settings for the email to endure that was not the problem. All the wiring was checked, still not working. Anything else that can be done? :confused:

random
11-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Best method is to load a free mail server program on your laptop and try it that way to confirm it is actually the machine that is broken. If the machine can not email out it will come up with the 'job done improperly' message if it doesn't then the email has been sent. 99.99999% of the time email fails is due to IT issues not the machine. Has the machine MAC and IP been added to the whitelist? Check DNS gateway settings have not been changed on the host site.

knightfall
11-03-2007, 04:35 AM
Without going too crazy I would do a new setup with a new email account and confirm it can send out from a computer then use the new email account and set it up on the C350 and if everything is done right and still doesn't send email then you'll know the problem is coming from the C350. Too many times the data stored in the controller for the email gets scrambled and email stops, this should tell you where your problems are coming from. Good Luck.

stefan
01-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Hi !
Try this tools ther you can see the log what is happening.
Hook your laptop in to the customers network simulate that the laptop is the KM machin.

Good luck

dogsbody
01-05-2008, 12:44 PM
I know that everyone is obsessed with scan to email (our sales guys love it) but if they don't have an exchange server or similar onsite then I do everything I can to talk them out of using their ISP for scan to email (will use Gmail if the machine supports it). The ISP is just too unreliable, you set it up and six months later something changes - more often than not they change providers and call whining that scanning does not work. Scan to SMB on the newer machines, FTP on the older, scan to your folder then attach to an outgoing email or move to another folder.
I have found this to be the most reliable for customers without an inhouse server.

Scott_Lewis
01-05-2008, 05:55 PM
I know that everyone is obsessed with scan to email (our sales guys love it) but if they don't have an exchange server or similar onsite then I do everything I can to talk them out of using their ISP for scan to email (will use Gmail if the machine supports it). The ISP is just too unreliable, you set it up and six months later something changes - more often than not they change providers and call whining that scanning does not work. Scan to SMB on the newer machines, FTP on the older, scan to your folder then attach to an outgoing email or move to another folder.
I have found this to be the most reliable for customers without an inhouse server.

Amen

Couldn't agree more.

lcuddington
03-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Best method is to load a free mail server program on your laptop and try it that way to confirm it is actually the machine that is broken. If the machine can not email out it will come up with the 'job done improperly' message if it doesn't then the email has been sent. 99.99999% of the time email fails is due to IT issues not the machine. Has the machine MAC and IP been added to the whitelist? Check DNS gateway settings have not been changed on the host site.

I am experiencing the same issue. Scan to email was fine yesterday, today we came in and no one is receiving their scans.

I have wiped/reloaded all of the network settings back onto the bizhub, ran the smtp tests from my laptop confirming no outbound issues, and still nothing. I found that the time on the bizhub was out by 1.5 hours (??) and have reset it, rescanned, nothing.

TX reports say transmission is ok, but nothing is coming in.

My Konica techs keep insisting it is an IT issue, but all my diagnostics are returning fine.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

buster68
03-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Unless you are getting a "Job done improperly" message on the C350, then the machine is working fine. If it shows that the email was sent with no problems, then the problem lies with the mail server, not the copier.
Check your filters, check your virus/spam protection software, too many variables involved in Scan to email to just immediately assume it's the copier causing the problem.

lcuddington
03-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Unless you are getting a "Job done improperly" message on the C350, then the machine is working fine. If it shows that the email was sent with no problems, then the problem lies with the mail server, not the copier.
Check your filters, check your virus/spam protection software, too many variables involved in Scan to email to just immediately assume it's the copier causing the problem.

Mail server is Exchange, Virus/Spam filter is on the server (Symantec), router filters are set to allow all SMTP traffic. Nothing has changed in 24 hours, and all other attachments from email are going through fine. It just stopped. Not the first time either, and it spontaneously started again.

Isn't it suspect that the only thing not working is the scanner?

cboucher
03-27-2009, 07:16 PM

You won't always get a "Job done improperly" message. It depends on what type of error has occurred, if any. Check the log for Scan jobs, it will have more information to assist in your investigation.

lcuddington
03-27-2009, 09:21 PM
The logs are showing TX OK, and then they just disappear. I'm perplexed at this point on what else it could possibly be.

pepper38_cnd
03-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Icuddington if you are running your own exchange server just check the log on the server and the activity for the email address assigned to the copier. I suspect you'll find the server is rejecting the mail or trashing it as spam. Make sure you have no quotas on the email account for the copier, or any security that requires users to change their passwords every month or so, if you do make sure that rule does not apply to the copier.
Also check the SMTP timeout setting on the copier usually 60 seconds is good the usual default of 15 second can sometimes be a problem on busy servers.

cboucher
03-28-2009, 01:30 AM
The logs are showing TX OK, and then they just disappear. I'm perplexed at this point on what else it could possibly be.

If the logs show no errors, then I would have to start looking at the network as the culprit. Something probably changed on their network or SMTP server itself. If their IT guy swears up and down that nothing has changed, keep this in mind. People lie. People lie right to your face.

copytechman
03-28-2009, 01:35 AM
Ouch! I'd go with what a prior poster suggested, install a basic smtp server on an xp laptop like argosoft smtp server or mercury mail server.. both can help tshoot this effectively!

Regards!
A.

dudley
03-28-2009, 04:41 AM
The problem with the c350 with the internal controller is that you must use the IP for the smtp server rather than a dns name. If the ISP decides to do service on a server and shifts the email server to an alternate server , then your sol till they go back to the first one. Was in an office and saw Telus switch email Ip's 6 time in one hour. This was fixed for the most part on the newer models(if possible always use the dns name)

What we do up here is basically tell the custumer that anything to do with scanning is over and above the service contract as we do not charge for the scans but do charge to troubleshoot at $85/hr. 90% of the scan to email troubles are out of our hands, worst darn thing they ever did to us poor techs:mad:.

lcuddington
03-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Guess what? That's what happened. After exhausting all the other options, we called the ISP and they told us that they had upgraded all their equipment.

Plus, our mail server had a filter update, which might be blocking the admin email address on the one touch scans. Have to finalize the testing this weekend, but hopefully this is solved.

Setright
03-29-2009, 09:51 AM
I agree with those who don't want to run scan-to-mail on external servers. It's never gonna be reliable, and as techs we get the blame - erroneously.

50% of the time, when an angry users calls me up and complains that mail isn't getting through, I suggest they look in the "Spam" folder of their mail system.....and the phone goes silent...and they say goodbye.

45% of the time, the network enviroment has changed. Of course this is never admitted by the client.

The remaining 5% of the time, we've botched it up during a firmware upgrade or something like that.

BUT! Since the "Box Operator" program has become very easy to install and use ( about 6 months ago) I have been pushing Scan-to-Box as the BEST SOLUTION for scanning. It looks like SMB to most users, but it's so much easier to setup (no missing rights, write protected folders...) and will keep working as long the scanner has it's IP address to itself :D

copytechman
03-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Is that the pagescope box operator program? I'm just downloading it now and am going to try it out.. please let us know thx!
A.

dudley
03-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Ya box operator is the best way to scan. The web pagescope interface to box used to be good but on the newer series of machine the the web based box really is the pits, if I can't do it ,how can the custumer. Box operator works the first time everytime, as long as the ip for the machine stays the same. The only drawback is the thing is dead slow to install and requires a reboot.

Our sales guys like to show off scan to smb but of course don't tell the custumers of the down side like changing passwords. We are slowly beating it into thier heads.

I love the phone calls on scan to email, like "I have 60 pages color and want 600 dpi but it will not work! "

copytechman
03-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks, I've downloaded and installed it, I'll check 'er out tomorrow, does it work with legacy konica's too? (currently using scan direct on them), didnt take too long to install, the reboot is annoying though.. I have a couple of customers that this may be a better solution for as opposed to smb or ftp.

Regards!
A.

dudley
03-30-2009, 05:08 AM
It will work for some of the older stuff,C351/450, C250/252/352 but I'm not sure about the C350 and earlier(getting too many models in my head)

frank57
04-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Page Box Operator does not work on a C350.
There is a box utility available for this copier. You may find it on the Konicaminolta website or on the original installation CD.

Custom Search