PDA

View Full Version : Plagued by faulting Fiery controllers (IC-409 and IC-412)

Custom Search

Avskrap
02-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Seems when you get a problem with one, the rest decide to cash out aswell...

The IC-409 (on a C451):
Customer called us, saying that the RIP loses connection with the network, won't answer pings and won't print anything. We go on-site, try the basics (Clear Server, restarting, changing IP-address) to no avail. It starts up fine, but won't print more than one job (or a Configuration Page). If you queue jobs from a client, the RIP spits one out after a restart, then locks up on "Print..". I bring the Fiery back to the office with me and swing by Konica Minolta to patch it and try it with someone more knowledgeable than me... It works like a charm, printing several heavy jobs, never loses connection with the machine and so forth. I bring it back to the customer, install it, different problem. Now it won't even connect with the machine. The Idle-icon never shows, and the button in the Help/Counter menu shows for a second or two and then dissapears. If you press it while it shows, you get in to the Fiery window, but it's empty and pressing anything doesn't work. After a couple of seconds you're booted out to the main copy screen. Throughout my second on-site visit the network hasn't been connected to the RIP, simply to rule out a corrupt job being sent. I've replaced the cables, the video interface card. Next step is the MFP board on the machine I think. The customer also experiences very slow prints when we connect the machine without the RIP to the network, where it spools the job in normal pace but won't print until the last page is done, even though it's set to print when the first page is done (checked everywhere, clients, server, the lot).

The IC-412 (on a C452):
Me and a colleague went to install two identical C452's with IC-412's on 'em. The first machine we installed worked like a charm in our office, the other one as well. The first one, after we configured the network settings, simply won't connect to the machine. The second one we did an identical procedure with, and it works like a charm. Two identical machines, two identical RIPs, the same network, same clients, same everything.
So, after putting in the network details and the RIP rebooting itself when exiting the setup, it won't connect to the machine. I can connect to both the machine and the RIP from a client computer, and the Fiery says "Controller does not support this machine" (or the likes, can't remember exactly...). We tried reconfiguring the RIP from a computer, loaded the latest firmware in the machine but no luck.

So, yeah. Does anyone have any ideas? Both machines are connected through the Fiery (one ethernet cable from the wall to the RIP, ethernet cable from the RIP to the machine).
Any help appreciated. Sucks when you have to deal with things you don't have alot of experience with...

Mr Spock
02-02-2012, 12:10 AM
first If you have access to KonicaMinolta tech site look for special firmware/patches for this issue for the emperon and fiery.
second take a hub and new cables and put it between customer's wall and machine and see if it makes any difference.
third change the machine that works with the one that does not and see if problem moves or stays. If the problem stays at the same wall jack then there is either a wiring issue or a bad port on switch.
fourth take a 75+ foot cable and try on another wall jack or if close enough straight to the switch.

pepper38_cnd
02-03-2012, 12:56 PM
For the IC-412 The cable from the rip to the machine has to be a crossover cable not a standard ethernet cable and the rip must be on and ready before powering up the copier. You may want to review the installation instructions. See attached

RRodgers
02-03-2012, 02:28 PM
first If you have access to KonicaMinolta tech site look for special firmware/patches for this issue for the emperon and fiery.
second take a hub and new cables and put it between customer's wall and machine and see if it makes any difference.
third change the machine that works with the one that does not and see if problem moves or stays. If the problem stays at the same wall jack then there is either a wiring issue or a bad port on switch.
fourth take a 75+ foot cable and try on another wall jack or if close enough straight to the switch.

I'd be willing to bet it's the cable. I had a bizhub 501 just a couple of weeks ago. Customer would complain that it would drop off the net work and sometimes not print at all. After updating firmware (I usually do firmware fist, for when you look at KM's knowledge base it says to do it anyways :) ) It was still doing the same thing, I had a look at the cable, it was a home made one and sure enough one of the wires pulled out of it's connection. Since the connector is clear you can see right into it and I could see that one of the wires wasn't even touching. Plus it wasn't even crimped down on the shielding.

Avskrap
02-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys!

The IC-412 works now, it was as simple as the interface card not being attached to the MFP board. 'twas my colleague who assembled the machine, so I've given him some heat for it.

But, the IC-409 is still giving me problems. I've, so far, replaced: Interface cables, ethernet cables, interface card, MFP board. I've also patched up the RIP, with a full system reinstall. Still won't connect to the copier and won't answer pings. This is turning out to be quite an expensive operation, but the customer's got a service contract for two more months... And I like helping people.

Next step with the IC-409 is to change the whole RIP, got another one coming in tuesday, so I'll snatch it and try it out.

Keep the suggestions coming though, you never know...

arisarias
08-26-2017, 04:51 PM
You should have your own laptop with you. Your main goal, problem isolation. Is the problem at the customer's site, or your engine?
Directly connect your laptop to your equipment simulating the connection between your equipment and a desktop computer. From here, you should be able to make comparison, and work your way out from here on.

Synthohol
08-26-2017, 05:16 PM
5 1/2 year old zombie thread.
i hope its been fixed and scrapped by now ;)

mitchl
10-18-2017, 04:00 PM
5 1/2 year old zombie thread.
i hope its been fixed and scrapped by now ;) LMAO...

Custom Search