PDA

View Full Version : Dead Machine C253 constant hourglass

Custom Search

oldschool
04-17-2012, 03:51 PM
There is another thread on the forum about a C353 with the same problem. I posted this question but it looks like that thread isn't done yet. So rather than hi-jack that thread I started my own.

I have a C253 that had an error. What error? I don't know. Some helpful people reset the copier without writing it down.:mad: Now at power up the hourglass is displayed and never goes away. The other thread suggested to
Disconnect HDD: Tried but no joy.
Get sandglas firmware to correct the issue: I emailed a couple of Konica Minolta Engineers. I've only heard back from one and he said he's not aware of this firmware. He suggested I flash the copier with the latest firmware. Before I do that I wanted to double check withe the Techs here if the sandglas firmware mentioned is also for the C253.
I'd like to try and flash it because I still have the CF card handy from the last time I flashed this machine. I'm just not sure if flashing it will make things worse.

DCPS
04-17-2012, 05:03 PM
There is another thread on the forum about a C353 with the same problem. I posted this question but it looks like that thread isn't done yet. So rather than hi-jack that thread I started my own.

I have a C253 that had an error. What error? I don't know. Some helpful people reset the copier without writing it down.:mad: Now at power up the hourglass is displayed and never goes away. The other thread suggested to
Disconnect HDD: Tried but no joy.
Get sandglas firmware to correct the issue: I emailed a couple of Konica Minolta Engineers. I've only heard back from one and he said he's not aware of this firmware. He suggested I flash the copier with the latest firmware. Before I do that I wanted to double check withe the Techs here if the sandglas firmware mentioned is also for the C253.
I'd like to try and flash it because I still have the CF card handy from the last time I flashed this machine. I'm just not sure if flashing it will make things worse.

Yes it is for this model too. These are the supported types: C451/C550/C650/C203/C253/C353. But each one has a different FW of course. This doesn't mean, that this works in all cases but let's say more than 50%. The rest goes for NVRAM. Had your machine any kind of i-Option or the additional UK-201 memory installed at the time reset was performed? And what was the initial error?

oldschool
04-17-2012, 05:13 PM
No changes to the copier. I did not see initial error and no one can tell me what it was.
Do you think attempting to flash with the latest firmware would cause more problems or make it less likely that the sandglas firmware fix would be successful?

DCPS
04-17-2012, 05:47 PM
No changes to the copier. I did not see initial error and no one can tell me what it was.
Do you think attempting to flash with the latest firmware would cause more problems or make it less likely that the sandglas firmware fix would be successful?

If you don't have the special FW try the mass production. With both it can't be worse than now! Don't worry. In worst case you will have the same problem as before. But important is to see if the MFP comes to the flash screen when you insert the CF card. Have you also tried to enter into the service mode directly when you start the machine?

oldschool
04-17-2012, 07:05 PM
I had tried to get the error code at boot but all I get is the black dot. I've waited a long time for a code to pop up but nothing.
I tried the firmware flash. It completed with out errors. Still no good. I'll get the sandglas firmware later this afternoon and try it.

oldschool
04-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Could not find the sandglas firmware. I did see a boot issue with the C253 that was supposed to be resolved with the R6 firmware update. Happened when MFP was powered on and off 4 or 5 times quickly. I haven't reloaded the R5 base firmware and then R6. I just reloaded R6 again.
Could R6 be the sandglas firmware you're talking about?

DCPS
04-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Could not find the sandglas firmware. I did see a boot issue with the C253 that was supposed to be resolved with the R6 firmware update. Happened when MFP was powered on and off 4 or 5 times quickly. I haven't reloaded the R5 base firmware and then R6. I just reloaded R6 again.
Could R6 be the sandglas firmware you're talking about?

C253 the FW would be A02E0Y0-F000-GXH-R6 in your case. As you see it's based on R6 but special for boot problem from MFPB. Also, have you any spare NVRAM only for test purposes?

oldschool
04-17-2012, 10:15 PM
The firmware I have is A02E0Y0-F000-G10-R6. That mentions modifying the boot program.
I'll get the A02E0Y0-F000-GXH-R6. and go from there.

No spare nvram. I may be able to get a hold of some but I kind of doubt it.

Will have to wait till tomorrow.

oldschool
04-18-2012, 05:15 PM
The new firmware ran without errors but did not fix the boot problem. Based on the fact there was an error of some kind before hand I didn't have high hopes on the new firmware working. I decided to pull the nvram board and in typical fashion I blew on it. All Techs know this is standard procedure. :D Put it back together and the copier is back up and running. Did my blowing on the board fix it? We'll never know. ;)

Thanks for the help!

After thinking about it I may have figured out what went on. A few years ago I had installed the USB option. People around here like to grab the protrusion on the back to move the copier around. I'll bet the USB add on board became partially un-plugged from the MFPB. Re-assembaling it reseated the connecter for a proper connection. Just a theory though.

apollo
04-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Hi

I had similar problem this week tried firmware but did not resolve the sandglass,
and done NVRAM RECOVERY RESOLVED THE ISSUE 100%.

Custom Search