PDA

View Full Version : CS 300i - Internal finisher issue?

Custom Search

b3p0
06-27-2012, 02:35 PM
We have an account with a TaskAlfa CS 300i
The machine was sold and installed brand new and has run flawlessly for 100k clicks, until last week. I was called onsite and found it was jamming inside the paper exit for the internal finisher. I double checked (about 10 times now) to make sure that internal finishing tray is in its snap in brackets and it's lined up correctly. It was starting a wrinkle as it made the turn out of the fuser toward the upper exit for the internal finishing tray.
Just for good measure I've done a PM on the machine (it was dropping toner from the drum along the feed path dirtying the leading edges).
Replacing the fuser took care of the wrinkling/jamming.

However this created a separate issue, at random, the machine will just stop printing mid job. Upper paper path(Fuser, switchback, fuser exit) keeps the path rollers rolling, like it's trying to get the last of the paper out. The display doesn’t indicate any jams or any issues. The web interface on the print controller is accessible and says "status: OK", but it just queues up print jobs and never spits anything out. I've checked path sensors to make sure they arent broken/deformed, I've checked for deformed paper path fingers/rollers. I've checked the alignment of the internal finishing tray.
The only way to get it out of that state is to drop the internal finishing tray down and pull out the half-finished job, then click it back up, and it will take off and keep printing.
Last trip I updated to the newest firmware.
I haven't called CS support yet, thought I'd check with you guys first.

Thanks in advance!

Kidaver
06-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Check the gears on the exit assembly. There was an older style unit and the gears on the plastic shafts would wallow out on the inside. The newer style unit has a metal plate there.

b3p0
06-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Check the gears on the exit assembly. There was an older style unit and the gears on the plastic shafts would wallow out on the inside. The newer style unit has a metal plate there.

Interesting, I'll have to take a look. Thanks for the input.
Unfortunately this machine is about 40 miles away.
I called into support, they are telling me to reload the firmware, format the HDD then do defaults in command center "90% of the time it takes care of Logic issues". sounds like a cop-out to me.

Kidaver
06-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Never hurts to update firmware, formatting the HDD sounds a bit odd to me as I don't know how that would affect the paper jam issue you are having but hey crazier things have happened with goofy HDD's......as for the command center thing....what defaults in there would affect that at all?

b3p0
06-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Just to follow up, I went back onsite. performed the Tech Support suggested tasks, first job out locked the machine up again, so that didnt do anything. Took the machine apart and took a look at the internal finisher, it does have a metal plate. I also checked to make sure nothing was bent or warped. The switchback fingers were a little warped, but by only maybe 0.25 mm. I reassembled the machine and ran 50 off the glass stacking jobs up in queue from each drawer without any issue.
I Had the customer send a duplicate batch of 6 jobs and bam, second job that was spooled locked the machine up. That pretty much pointed to a driver/network issue.
Took a closer look, there were 3 printer drivers setup for that machine, one for each color of paper. Driver for plain 8.5x11 was set up correctly, next 2 drivers were setup for default tray 2 colored paper, and tray 4 colored paper. I thought this was suspicious, checking the details of the driver showed it was printing full color. then i looked and saw their IT person had loaded the driver for the CS 300Ci.

Yea.
Had him DL the newest driver, loaded it and re-sent the same job, no issues at all.

Needless to say I've learned my lesson, check the print driver first and make sure some window licker didn't load the color driver for a BW machine.

Custom Search