PDA

View Full Version : Konica Firmware Imaging Toolkit SUCKS

Custom Search

b3p0
07-09-2012, 08:24 PM
SO what is the deal. I've used 6 different CF cards, formatted, used a Hex Editor and zeroed out the cards, Write the firmware sucesfully on 2 of them. Every time i put the card in the machine it says "card error, please check the"

I've DL'd the firmware file from 2 different places.

I have a C352 giving me a C1183. Trying to get firmware for the FS-514 updated.
9J08-F050-G00-07-000_CHECKSUM-6881_Finisher

Ready to set the thing on fire.

RRodgers
07-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Ummm try another cf card? Seems pretty logical to me

mrwho
07-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Are your CF cards on any of the "Doesn't Work" list of this thread (http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/24187-compatible-cf-cards-list-techies.html)? It's far from being a comprehensive list, but it's a start.

Also, did you try to use Cygwin instead of the Imaging Toolkit? Could solve your problem...

Also, what "2 different places" were those? Appart from the official sources, there aren't many places that can claim to have genuine working firmwares - and they're usually paying sites. So if it was a free download from a non-official source (this usually doesn't include techs willing to help), then you're probably one step away from turning your machine into an expensive brick.

b3p0
07-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the link. Yes One of the cards is a Toshiba 128, One is an IOdata 256, and the other is a Mr Flash 128.
All of them I can write and validate the firmware using the tool, but cant get the machine take the card.

mrwho
07-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the link. Yes One of the cards is a Toshiba 128, One is an IOdata 256, and the other is a Mr Flash 128.
All of them I can write and validate the firmware using the tool, but cant get the machine take the card.

I wouldn't trust the program's validation - I believe it only checks the CRC and nothing more. If the machine doesn't like your card, there's nothing you can do but try with another card. I found out it's way easier to make kids eat their spinach than convincing one of those machines that your card is good enough...

b3p0
07-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Also, what "2 different places"

One was from the KM dealer site back in the day when we were still a dealer, it's been saved here on our server for about 6 years. Another is from a friend that is still a dealer in our state, just DL'd it from KM last week and gave it to me. I figured over time maybe something happened to the file and asked him to give me a fresh copy when mine wasn't working.

I don't have the Konica version of CYGwin to try it with. Does the freeware version work for KM firmwares?

Sounds like I need to source some better CF cards to try this with maybe ?

Shadow
07-09-2012, 08:53 PM
try contacting Konica Minolta Tech support again and ask if there is a way of formatting your Cf-card in the machine.
I seem to recall one of my instructors mentioning something about it. I tried with many different programs to format the cards for firmware updates.
had the same issue with them as you are having, I got lucky with an old cf-card and it worked.

RRodgers
07-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Doh!! Foot in mouth, i just re-read your post. Ive had a prob with the reader i was using once. Try a new one.

EarthKmTech
07-09-2012, 11:45 PM
make sure some dumbass hasnt bent pins in the cf slot in the back of the machine, have seen this before and if certain pins are shorted against each other firmware wont ever even be accepted via internet isw either and the mfp board requires replacement. (even after straightening the pins)

ive been working on these machine for 6 years now and never once had a problem with fw imaging tool kit. half of my cards are falling to pieces and don't even have the metal covers anymore and still work perfectly. I've also never had issues formatting them and then using them in a digital camera and then going back to use as a firmware card. dont know what all the fuss is all about.

TheOwl
07-10-2012, 03:06 AM
You will probably find that there isn't an issue with your CF Cards, Card Reader or Firmware Imaging Toolkit.

The problem is normally the read / write speed at which your cards work at. The Konica Minolta MFD's are extremely picky as to if they will talk to a CF Card as the CF Card must work at a specific speed or the machine just won't recognise it.

Your best bet is to buy a CF Card from Konica Minolta and be done with it.

mojorolla
07-10-2012, 03:18 AM
Get the card from KM if they are not on back order until 2022. I waited 3 months for one. After 3 different cards, both methods, and zero success, it was a welcome relief when the card finally came. Tech support stated that formatting the card using Windows would not work. However, they also told me that I needed a larger card than 256mb even though the service manual AND service solutions stated otherwise so who the hell knows.....

:)

mrwho
07-10-2012, 07:56 AM
Get the card from KM if they are not on back order until 2022. I waited 3 months for one. After 3 different cards, both methods, and zero success, it was a welcome relief when the card finally came. Tech support stated that formatting the card using Windows would not work. However, they also told me that I needed a larger card than 256mb even though the service manual AND service solutions stated otherwise so who the hell knows.....

:)

Although I don't think I've updated every KM machine known to man, I've got along fine so far with a 128Mb card, so...

emujo
07-10-2012, 06:32 PM
. I've also never had issues formatting them and then using them in a digital camera and then going back to use as a firmware card. dont know what all the fuss is all about.[/QUOTE]

That might be the trick...if your camera uses VXWorks then the card is formatted properly when you use it...I have had to fix dozens of cards tech use with B&W mfps then try to use it in a color box...I use the hex editor tool to write 0's to the card, then I pop the card into my CF reader and slide it into my Win7 laptop...IF it comes up with "not formatted, do you want to do so now" message, then I know all is well and the card can be used with the firmware toolkit. It all has to do with the format on the card...Formating it in Windows will make the card "Blank", but the windows format is still present...writing all 0's removes any format and makes the card essentially "Out of the box new". Emujo

Darren King
07-12-2012, 02:37 AM
I have tried a 512mb CF card and had it rejected by the copiers. 128mb is all I have ever really needed to update any machine from BH350 to C353.. I think KonMin recommends no larger than 256mb.
Hope this helps.
Darren

b3p0
07-12-2012, 09:37 PM
I just ordered a SanDisk Ultra II 256mb card, should be here tomorrow.
Im hoping it's just the cards i've been using. We have a c352 high mileage machine with a busted fuser drive that I'm using as a test machine so i dont brick my customers machine if something goes wrong.

mrwho
07-12-2012, 10:03 PM
I just ordered a SanDisk Ultra II 256mb card, should be here tomorrow.
Im hoping it's just the cards i've been using. We have a c352 high mileage machine with a busted fuser drive that I'm using as a test machine so i dont brick my customers machine if something goes wrong.

There shouldn't be a bricked machine by experimenting on CF cards, but it's good to be on the safe side anyway.

b3p0
07-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Welp, card arrived. Loaded up the firmware and stuck it in the machine. Machine actually took it! However. ... after turning the machine on i see that the firmware version shown in tech mode doesnt match, but the checksum does. Thought maybe i got the wrong file, so i wrote zeros and used FIU again to write the firmware. Machine took it (downloading ....) powered it up and it shows the same thing.
So I thought maybe I have a bad file. I have another firmware that is actually more recent that I wanted to try. Wrote zeros, FIU the firmware onto the card all checks out good. Popped it in the machine and "Card error, please make sure the card." - Re-did this process about 15 different ways using FIU, cygwin, different card reader, different PC, it always is able to format and write the firmware, but the machine just wont take the card.
I'm ordering another card as of now.
At least it doesn't say "PC load-Letter"

Darren King
07-14-2012, 01:47 AM
The card should only be formatted with the Firmware Imaging Toolkit, not by right clicking and formatting it that way.
As long as the checksum is correct the firmware has been written properly.
Darren

Mr Spock
07-14-2012, 04:51 AM
On most firmware there is an adobe file that will tell you which files have been updated or list all with what you will see in service mode.
I have seen a few updates that only update one or two files and did not look like it updated correctly until I compared to the pdf file.
I do not think that the c352 was one of the affected machines by the disaster that hit japan a couple of years ago. They changed a few processors and not all the firmware worked on all machines. If it was then that is why the newer firmware failed. It was written for the new processor and not the older one. Try writing the first one again and see if it takes.

TheOwl
07-16-2012, 02:09 AM
Also, depending on how old the original firmware was can also give funny results.

You should always make sure that you load the machine from Phase 1 to Phase 2 and then to Phase 3. Never Phase 1 to Phase 3 as the Phase 3 firmware assumes that you have already loaded Phase 2 which contains fixes that Phase 3 doesn't but remain with the machine once the firmware been installed once.

Remember to also do your HDD Version Up procedures.

Custom Search