PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub c350 networking issue

Custom Search

Flippin
09-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Hello All,

New to KM and looking forward to contributing as so many of you have done in an effort of giving back equally. For some of the senior techs amongst us, you must scratch your heads collectively as us newbies run to the internet for help. How each of you independently solved problems the old fashion way "BG"(before google) is regrettably a dying artform. That said, I have been tasked with my first problem which I have been unable to solve and hence my request for some advice.

I am servicing a Bizhub c350 which copies nicely however it will not connect to a network. The not-for-profit which owns the machine have used it exclusively as a copier but have since requested that it serve as a printer for their small peer to peer office. They do not have a server and connectivity is direct via RG45 to each computer through the internet router. The machine which was donated included the IC-401 Fiery controller.

Thus far I have:

(1) attached direct to the onboard controller (both leds light up). Made the necessary changes in the peripheral set-up. Tried every option; (a) controller #1, (b) controller #2 and all three modes (even though c2 is for IC-401) (c) controller #3, (d) no controller

(2) Tried to ping the machine from numerous machines with no success

(3) Tried the IC-401 controller with all of the previously mentioned options. Still no success pinging the machine.

Adjusted both the network settings and even the server settings from the admin console.

Kinda running out of options. To ensure that I have exhausted every possibility before wasting anyones time I have read and re-read every service manual (standard image controller, fiery controller, advanced manual, etc) without any progress. I hope that someone is able to offer a possible path for a solution.

In an overabundance of caution I also contemplated the firmware as the issue but the current version is not identified in the "ROM" tab from the tech console. I am reasonably familiar with the cygwin linux writing procedure but given that I currently do not have logon privileges to KM I am unable to experiment with a firmware upgrade to determine if that is the problem.

Given that neither the IC-401 controller or the standard onboard controller worked, I think the issue is elsewhere. From the perspective of probability alone, I am thinking that two faulty controllers is less likely than something stupid which I am overlooking.

Many Thanks in Advance, and please excuse me if I missed an obvious issue.

Cheers,

blackcat4866
09-02-2012, 10:43 PM
The first thing I would do in any situation where network connectivity is suspect, is to connect the MFP to my laptop via crossover cable, using a simple class C address (192.168.0.xxx, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.0.1). This rules out network issues, IP address choice, and duplicate addresses right off. If you are still unable to connect to the MFP you can be certain that the problem is hardware related.

If you are able to connect (pings successfully to the MFP, and access to the web interface) it's time to concentrate on the network. Connect your laptop to the MFP's network cable and let DHCP assign an address. Does the laptop connect? And on from there ...
=^..^=

JR2ALTA
09-03-2012, 02:14 AM
The only reason I believe the network could be at fault is a) they have port security enabled, meaning once the router sees the new device and doesn't recognize it's MAC address it leaves it out in the cold. b) what you plugged into is not actually a router but a modem. As BlackCat eluded too, is the IP scheme something like 192.168.x.x which is pretty much industry standard for Best Buy routers? or is it something more random like 72.128.x.x, that might suggest your customer is getting the internet straight from their ISP without an actual Local Network. But you seem pretty computer literate, so it's probably the machine. Make sure TCP/IP is enabled, or call someone with access to Konica support for parts etc.

Flippin
09-03-2012, 02:37 AM
Many Thanks for the quick replies. blackcat4866 your suggestion of using a crossover identified the obvious which was an ip conflict. I am somewhat embarrassed and as my post suggested double jeopardy on two controllers was less likely in comparison to a brain fart on my part. That said, I still had to go through a few combinations until I was able to successfully ping the machine. Ultimately I was required to assign a new static ip address from the bank of ip addresses identified by the modem and then set the peripheral setting to controller #3. This was confusing when I distinctly read (KM technical service bulletin) that controller #1 was the onboard controller default. That said, I still haven't successfully connected via the IC-401. Am I correct in assuming that only the peripheral setting requires changing to "controller 2, mode1"? Is there really any benefit to the IC-401? Not saying that I will give up, I am waayy too stubborn for that kind of logical thinking!! Again, I really appreciate your effort in helping out a KM rookie.

Thank you!!

blackcat4866
09-03-2012, 03:03 AM
... This was confusing when I distinctly read (KM technical service bulletin) that controller #1 was the onboard controller default. That said, I still haven't successfully connected via the IC-401. Am I correct in assuming that only the peripheral setting requires changing to "controller 2, mode1"? Is there really any benefit to the IC-401? Not saying that I will give up, I am waayy too stubborn for that kind of logical thinking!! Again, I really appreciate your effort in helping out a KM rookie.

Thank you!!

I myself just started with KM products less than a year ago, so I am not that familiar with the C350. So I won't be able to help with those machine specifics.

One thing that I'm doing on all setups and network problems: The first thing I do is connect the laptop and do a NetScan. NetScan will identify dupes. All too often IT has confidently assigned me an address already in use. Occasional this same IT insists " ... that the address couldn't be in use!" So I should disregard the NetScan and Ping? It's very easy to waste much time this way. Like President Reagan said: Trust, and verify."
=^..^=

Flippin
09-03-2012, 05:38 AM
"Trust .......and Verify" undoubtedly I will try to drop that statement into a conversation sooner rather than later, Blackcat thank you for the advice and of course the words of wisdom.

I am still not giving up (on the IC-401) now that the pressure is off and the Bizhub is working both as a color copier and network printer. From the Bizhub experts out there, are there any shortcuts in diagnosing if the IC-401 is faulty? Everything appears to be okay (makes noise, both fans run, all of the leds light up and flash) Clearly my highly technical deduction would suggest that everything is good but (lol) When connected and the peripheral controller changes are made (controller 2, mode 1) I am unable to ping the device.

Thanks again in advance.

TheOwl
09-04-2012, 06:18 AM
Simply changing the Periphial Mode won't do.

You will also need to configure the IC-401 by waiting for it to boot and then going to :

1. Utility / Counter
2. Controller Detail (you won't see this option unless the IC-401 is contactable via the machine)
3. Menu
4. Scroll down I think it was to Setup

The Fiery will now reboot into Setup mode where by you can change the IP address of the Fiery Controller.

Flippin
09-05-2012, 03:37 AM
"The Owl" You are a wise one!! Many thanks. It was always so confusing given that my networking options always disappeared each time I selected controller 2 mode 1. I never noticed the controller details button appear there afterwards. From the controller detail button, I was able to change the IP address and the rest was history. Even all of the Fiery webtools are now configured which enables me to remotely troubleshoot minor issue.

On another note, I can say that the machine paper settings are very specific and unforgiving. Several failed attempts to print to a specific tray had me confused until I realized that I had selected normal paper and the thickness dial on the paper-tray was set to "thick"

I really appreciate all of the help which was so promptly shared. I too hope to be equally helpful one day. Again Thank You!!

blackcat4866
09-06-2012, 01:58 AM
Congratulations! =^..^=

Mr Spock
09-06-2012, 04:08 AM
What is a controller and what does it do???:p

emujo
09-06-2012, 01:56 PM
What is a controller and what does it do???:p

They keep airplanes from crashing into each other...

1FRY1
09-06-2012, 10:33 PM
If you are new to Fiery's are you aware of command workstation produced by EFI Fiery,

It's a free download from EFI.com and adds great functionality th the IC-401

Custom Search